Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

15 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Unfortunately the Sky 7’s lawyers are well prepared and will have done their homework regarding this. 

To be fair, aside from the FFP thing, I kind of agree that it’s a rule that shouldn’t stand whether local country employment has rules or not.  Restrictions on employment like that shouldn’t be allowed, it’s just unfortunate the reason Chelsea are doing it is to get around FFP re longer amortisation  but that’ll impact future years ability to get players.  

Although, FFP is a terribly constructed set of rules anyway to benefit only the current elite and not genuinely trying to have a fair playing field while having good financial control.  It’s one of the reasons it’ll make it harder for us to achieve regular European football.

Edited by nick76

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

and all the other clubs in PL and Europe who also ignored it because it doesn't violate their domestic laws, which is the stated statute of FIFA laws on contract length. Messi got a 7 year contract when he was 19 I believe. 

I was agreeing with you.  I didn’t know FIFA even had that rule in their statutes and I was surprised they did in any form because even if the country didn’t have a local law, it wouldnt hold up in the Court of Arbitration anyway.

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Beat Leicester and we cement top ten with two tricky games against Man. City and Arsenal after...

Top seven will be the target from inside the Villa camp I'm sure of it...we may fall short but it's looking on just now!

We can beat Man city and Arsenal!

Great result going into this 2 week break. Enough time to rest, heal, sign another player or two and get them up to speed with the squad. 

With no cup games, we can laser focus on climbing up the table.

Should be fascinating!

• Like 1

Looking at our remaining fixtures (with the acknowledgment that coming off the back of two wins means overconfidence is a real danger), I think our “winnable”* games are -

Both Leicester games, Everton (a), Palace (h), West Ham (a), Bournemouth (h), Forest (h), Brentford (a), Fulham (h), Wolves (a) and Brighton (h).

The other games are Man City (a), Arsenal (h), Newcastle (h), Man Utd (a), Spurs (h) and Liverpool (a).

Now a lot can happen by the time those games roll round, I don’t expect we’ll win all eleven and equally I don’t think we’ll fail to pick up a single point in the other seven games.

We’re currently on 28 points. I think as baseline target we should be aiming/hoping for more than that 55 points we did a couple of years ago. In the region of 60 points.

*While I know for instance Spurs at home is a winnable game, I don’t necessarily anticipate us to win it.

• Like 2

So frustrating to be winning so many on the trot yet not actually moving up the table. 

But we're keeping pace and putting ourselves into the position to take advantage if we can just keep going. 

31 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Looking at our remaining fixtures (with the acknowledgment that coming off the back of two wins means overconfidence is a real danger), I think our “winnable”* games are -

Both Leicester games, Everton (a), Palace (h), West Ham (a), Bournemouth (h), Forest (h), Brentford (a), Fulham (h), Wolves (a) and Brighton (h).

The other games are Man City (a), Arsenal (h), Newcastle (h), Man Utd (a), Spurs (h) and Liverpool (a).

Now a lot can happen by the time those games roll round, I don’t expect we’ll win all eleven and equally I don’t think we’ll fail to pick up a single point in the other seven games.

We’re currently on 28 points. I think as baseline target we should be aiming/hoping for more than that 55 points we did a couple of years ago. In the region of 60 points.

*While I know for instance Spurs at home is a winnable game, I don’t necessarily anticipate us to win it.

You missed Chelsea (a). Could be a winnable game, or could be in the other games, based on the same argument as Spurs.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CVByrne said:

FIFA state that 5 year contract unless longer contracts are not in violation of that countries laws. Fabregas, KDB, Grealish et el have all had 6 year contracts. 6 years is rare but not uncommon. 

Secondly "getting around FFP" is a nonsense statement, they are giving these contracts to work within FFP. They also have an eye on the fact that UEFA changed FFP so as clubs now need to only spend 70% of their revenue on players salaries / amortisation. So for a club like Chelsea they need to pivot to a new model and reduce their wage bill. Longer contracts give the players more security so they can accept a lower wage. 

That is literally pointless. The maximum you are allowed is five years unless you're allowed to have more than five years?