Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man City

limpid

Match Polls  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/09/22 at 22:59

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

We didn't go toe to toe. That's what Newcastle did. 

We parked the bus getting off a couple of counter attacks. 

Not many teams will get a point off Man City this season, please just be happy we achieved that see the positives of drawing against the best team in the World, whether that’s with Gerrard in charge or not.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Podster said:

I believe SG got lucky with his choice of team yesterday, if he had any managerial skill he would have shown it more than once in a blue moon, but we will see if he keeps it up, a good manager wouldnt keep playing McGinn as captain but his ego rules his head.

to not give him any credit for saturday just reeks of an agenda. to call it a lucky result is very harsh. should he have figured it out much earlier? of course. do we hope that he has learnt that this is how we should play going forward? also yes, and he is not out of the woods by any stretch

but try and enjoy getting a result against arguably the best club side in the world mate, just a bit

• Like 3

A bit of a dampener sorry. Just watched the highlights again 

Defo not offside BUT after flag went up and whistle blown, the city goalie was not trying to get into position to protect his goal and only made half-hearted attempt to save the shot

• Like 1

On 03/09/2022 at 19:29, Aston_Villan4 said:

It’s not there. It’s when Watkins passes back to Ramsey. Line ref assumed he touched it and waived Coutinho off.

Still not offside. It was a backwards pass!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Not many teams will get a point off Man City this season, please just be happy we achieved that see the positives of drawing against the best team in the World, whether that’s with Gerrard in charge or not.

See this is what I don't see. Many teams can randomly beat Man City, it all depends if they are on there game or not. The weekend, I don't care what you you say, they wasn't on there game. If they were, they would have destroyed us, how ever we set up, we are bottom for a reason.

Last season, Leicester beat them in the community shield 1-0, Crystal palace in the league 2-0, West Ham 0-0 in the Cup, Tottenham did the double on them. They are beatable, its just fans expectations have dropped so low that to squeeze a draw out of them seems like a amazing mementos occasion, I feel sorry that some think it's such a amazing achievement. when in reality it's only seems to be this amazing achievement, cause we are so shit under Gerrard!

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Still not offside. It was a backwards pass!

I posted this during the game, and was later referred to the current ruling, which says nothing about the direction of the pass.

Ramsey doesn't touch it so goes back to the point of the original pass from Watkins, at which time he was in an onside position. The fact the ball was passed backwards means nothing apparently. Was news to me too!

What should have happened is the lino should have allowed play to continue until after Coutinho shot or his movement had otherwise ended. He didn't,  the ref decided he didn't want to wait either,  and so they collectively messed up.

Whether Coutinho gets as much power and precision on the shot if a defender is closer to him, if he hadn't heard a whistle relieving him of any pressure, and whether any keeper gets to that ball (the least likely of the unknowns in my opinion), is all a matter for debate.

The ref and 4th official messed up, at a potentially crucial moment,  and there has been zero apology from the PGMOL for it.

11 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I posted this during the game, and was later referred to the current ruling, which says nothing about the direction of the pass.

Ramsey doesn't touch it so goes back to the point of the original pass from Watkins, at which time he was in an onside position. The fact the ball was passed backwards means nothing apparently. Was news to me too!

What should have happened is the lino should have allowed play to continue until after Coutinho shot or his movement had otherwise ended. He didn't,  the ref decided he didn't want to wait either,  and so they collectively messed up.

Whether Coutinho gets as much power and precision on the shot if a defender is closer to him, if he hadn't heard a whistle relieving him of any pressure, and whether any keeper gets to that ball (the least likely of the unknowns in my opinion), is all a matter for debate.

The ref and 4th official messed up, at a potentially crucial moment,  and there has been zero apology from the PGMOL for it.

So every time there are 2 players bearing down on goal and one passes back to the other to slot it in, this is now an offside goal?

I've seen several goals scored like this already this season, none have been flagged as offside.

Agreed the fact is he didn't touch it yes, but the lino may not have realised that, but that's another discussion.

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Going toe to toe with Man City really?

We set up not to concede, they had an off day and could have easily scored another 3 or 4.

The proof in the pudding will be our next two games and for Gerrard to prove we have at least started to turn a corner will require 6 points minimum against Leicester and Southampton.

Anything less should result in him getting a P45.

I don't agree with that at all. There were maybe two moments in the game when I though oh no, we're screwed here. One of those was the goal. 

It was an excellent defensive performance. He should make that our calling card, because you can't lose if you don't concede goals and we have the quality to hurt lesser teams much more than we did Man City. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So every time there are 2 players bearing down on goal and one passes back to the other to slot it in, this is now an offside goal?

I've seen several goals scored like this already this season, none have been flagged as offside.

Agreed the fact is he didn't touch it yes, but the lino may not have realised that, but that's another discussion.

If the player receiving the ball is behing the ball it's not offside. If you check the ones you're thinking of then I assure you it will be because the player receiving the ball was behind it when it got passed. Irrespective of whether there are any players in between him and the goal. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't agree with that at all. There were maybe two moments in the game when I though oh no, we're screwed here. One of those was the goal. 

It was an excellent defensive performance. He should make that our calling card, because you can't lose if you don't concede goals and we have the quality to hurt lesser teams much more than we did Man City. 

They could’ve scored a couple of goals in the first half even though they were having an off day.  It doesn’t take away it was a really good defensive performance by us but they still could’ve killed the game off first half.  

19 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yep this. Man City first half xG was around 0.32, but 0.25 of that was the Kyle Walker chance that wouldn't have counted had he scored as was offside so shouldn't really could in xG. So effectively we kept one of the best teams in the world to 0.07 xG in first half, while we had 0.14 from the Watkins blocked effort.

Second half the highest xG chance besides the goal (0.6 xG) was apparently the De Bruyne first time chance from the left that he sliced wide, at 0.44xG, which watching back doesn't look anything like as clear a chance as xG suggests. They then had 3 or 4 chances around 0.1 xG: the free kick plus a couple of 12 yard out efforts while on the turn or under pressure which were pretty much all straight at Martinez. Meanwhile, our biggest chance of the half doesn't score in conventional xG records as Ramsey, through one-on-one with Ederson, failed to get a shot off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

See this is what I don't see. Many teams can randomly beat Man City, it all depends if they are on there game or not. The weekend, I don't care what you you say, they wasn't on there game. If they were, they would have destroyed us, how ever we set up, we are bottom for a reason.

Last season, Leicester beat them in the community shield 1-0, Crystal palace in the league 2-0, West Ham 0-0 in the Cup, Tottenham did the double on them. They are beatable, its just fans expectations have dropped so low that to squeeze a draw out of them seems like a amazing mementos occasion, I feel sorry that some think it's such a amazing achievement. when in reality it's only seems to be this amazing achievement, cause we are so shit under Gerrard!

Did you enjoy the 7 - 2 win against Liverpool?

Or did you spend the days after it pointing out that they were off so we had nothing to be happy about in every other post?. If they were on it they surely would have destroyed us?

Are other teams happy when they get points against City?

We're Newcatle fans happy with their 2 - 2?

So the fact that other teams have beat them in the past means that a result against them isn't good?

They are still the Champions, which indicates that they beat and get more points than all the other teams in the League consistently.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

They could’ve scored a couple of goals in the first half even though they were having an off day.  It doesn’t take away it was a really good defensive performance by us but they still could’ve killed the game off first half.  

We had the Watkins and JJ chances (edit - and the 'offside' goal) which were as good as any one chance they produced aside from the goal, from memory. What I'm saying is that it doesn't feel like a fair assessment to point out that they could have had 3 or 4 on another day, when the pattern of the game didn't suggest that would have been a fair reflection on either teams performance. Any team could have 3 or 4 on any given day by that same logic. 

Most places have their xG between 1.6-1.9, which seems more like it. I'd have had no complaints if they had beaten us 2-1 and would feel exactly the same about the performance. It should be used as a foundation to build on. 

It's more likely we will revert to flying full backs and a non-existent midfield. But hey, you can only assess what's in front of you and that was 'good enough'. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Simon Hooper apologised to SG.

Would be nice if people could focus on the positive for once...

Villa held one of the best teams in the world to a draw and arguably should have won the game with the Coutinho goal.

Yes we gave up possession but they only had three or four big chances.

With Watkins' chance and Coutinho's we also had three big chances.

Perhaps they had an off-day, we have had a few this season too. Still think the referee shafting us at Palace hasn't helped.

There is a foundation to build upon and I hope we can do that.

Ok we have had a rough start but I think we should have had more points on the board too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Most places have their xG between 1.6-1.9, which seems more like it.

and ours was about 0.26 according to most sites, so the stat average score was 2-0 to Man City.  We overstored, they underscored.

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

that it doesn't feel like a fair assessment to point out that they could have had 3 or 4 on another day, when the pattern of the game didn't suggest that would have been a fair reflection on either teams performance.

My point was that they dominated first half and if scored a couple like they normally do with the chances we had, the second half would’ve been different and unlikely we would’ve then our chances like JJ.  The fact they didn’t because they were slightly off that day, gave us confidence to come out and play.  If they had scored a couple first half, in typical City fashion they would’ve scored more, just wasn’t of those days for them.  The fact they didn’t gave us a bit of confidence and instead of parking the bus as we did in the first half, we played more second half which gave us our chances.

9 hours ago, tomav84 said:

to not give him any credit for saturday just reeks of an agenda. to call it a lucky result is very harsh. should he have figured it out much earlier? of course. do we hope that he has learnt that this is how we should play going forward? also yes, and he is not out of the woods by any stretch

but try and enjoy getting a result against arguably the best club side in the world mate, just a bit

Do I have an agenda, you bet I do, my agenda is make Villa great. Also I never said it was a lucky result. The result was due to a superb hard fought effort by the players. What I said was he was lucky with his team choice, he has tinkered with the team too much, many other people have said the same, if the team he picked was down to his great managerial skills then how come he has been clueless for so many other games, and not just this season, how come he cant see how bad the McGinn appointment was. SG has been repeatedly critisised on this forum for his, team selection, team formation, lack of tactis and bad decisions. We get a drew against Man City and you think Gerrard has had an managerial epiffany, I hope he has, but I doubt it. I have been a Villa loyal for 60 years and I have seen us used as a training ground for newbie managers too many times, Villa are better than that so why do we do it. And of course I was thrilled by the result.             

Edited by Podster

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Run rate of points this season and if you want extended into last season suggests otherwise.

I know the stats. I just don't believe there is any chance we will go down this season. If things don't improve we will replace SG and I believe our squad is very capable of avoiding relegation. I am surprised that people actually think we are at risk of going down this year, but hey, each to their own

Â