Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

Does anyone have the stats for his number of touches in the first half? I swear our players we actively avoiding passing to him because they know it will just slow the play down and not lead to anything progressive. Not a problem when he is needed to break up play in the middle but Wasn’t the game to play him in midfield in my opinion, since we knew we would have all the ball. Time and a place for the Donk!

10 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I think it’s just that we needed to move the ball quickly in midfield to try to open Zrinjski up, yet every time the ball came to Dendonker he turned back and passed backwards. We didn’t necessarily need DM solidity today, we needed more creativity and bravery on the ball. That’s not really his game though, and he didn’t do much wrong. 

I get that it’s not his game but he’s a Premier League midfielder with a lot of Belgium caps. He should be capable of being able to look up and play a forward pass against the Bosnian champions.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Spoiler
4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get that it’s not his game but he’s a Premier League midfielder with a lot of Belgium caps. He should be capable of being able to look up and play a forward pass against the Bosnian champions.

I agree, you’d think all premier league footballers could do that. Don’t know if he’s not capable, lacking confidence and didn’t want to make a mistake or just wasn’t bothered. Either way we do need better. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I know there is a few people that dont mind him. But i simply just do not rate him. He is so error prone. 

Id definitely be ok selling him in jan or summer

Yeah, seemed the same nonsense as against Stevenage. He just isn't up to how Emery wants to play. When you can't safely bring him on to see out a comfortable win against a team like Luton, it's hard to see when he can be trusted

• Like 2

Just not suited for us, doesn't have the ability on the ball that is required in a position that is the most important for how we defend and attack.

Have to sell in Jan and get someone more suitable in. He's likely behind Luiz, Kamara, Tielemans, McGinn in that spot and with Tim back, I'd argue if we are in a position to dish some minutes out in the last 10-20 mins of games they should go to him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

He'd be best off going back to Belgium, maybe back to Anderlecht. 

He's on over £50k p/w according to reports. No one in Belgium is getting to half that for a mediocre DM. 

2 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

He's clubersome and with how we now play, you can't have someone like that getting minutes. 

He'd be best off going back to Belgium, maybe back to Anderlecht. 

Think plenty of premier league clubs would take him. Only a select few play possession football like we do.

2 hours ago, Dale said:

He's on over £50k p/w according to reports. No one in Belgium is getting to half that for a mediocre DM. 

I think if offered on loan Dyche would happily take him on loan and maybe Everton would be able to sign him permanently next summer with his takeover.

I left on 91 minutes so not sure what this big mess up people are referring to.

I actually think he's more effective actually starting games than just coming on for last 10-15 minutes as seems he struggles to get up to the pace as a sub.

The worst thing about him being robbed on the edge of our own box is he was so blinkered to a forward pass that he completely ignored the two players that were wide open for a square ball

There's been times where the likes of kamara and torres have done it but they had nothing on, he had options and didn't see them or worse chose to ignore them

That one today was dreadful

He can't play the Emery way. The position he got into when he gave the ball away is one that Luiz, Kamara, Konsa and Torres get into half a dozen times a game with little or no problems and he screwed up his first time. It's vital we have CBs and DMs that are composed but also quick on the ball in front of the penalty box and he just can't do it.

You put him in a team like Everton and he probably looks great, but he isn't capable of playing Emery football . Other players struggled to adapt to it but eventually got it and have improved in the system. He just isn't up to it.

Â