Pre match thread

M_Afro

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Bailey has played almost exclusively for us on the right wing cutting inside, Buendia played on the right for Norwich, Ramsey has been playing on the right of midfield so that McGinn can play on the left side of the midfield two, Watkins plays centrally but drifts out wide into the corners (usually on the left) to make sure that he and Ings are never close enough together to form a useful partnership, Digne plays down the left in the space that Watkins is trying to get into so that they can get in each others way and he can be out of position when the opposition break..

This scarily accurate!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But it doesn't seem to be based on who we play. 

We seem to have a home set up and an away set up. 

Neither have worked well. 

No team I know sets up or plays the same home and away !

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

McGinn and Ramsey CAN work together - but not with a number ten in front of them.

This would work today:

------------------------------Martinez----------------------------

------------Chambers-----Konsa------Mings------------

Cash--------------Kamara---------Luiz--------------Digne

----------------Ramsey--------------------McGinn-----------

-------------------------------Watkins-----------------------------

I'm not suggesting we do it, but it's possible to make those two work in a midfield - it's trying to force in two more attacking midfielders as well that makes it hard.

More importantly they MUST have 2 sitters behind them if they both play. 
Realistically it has to be Ramsey OR McGinn - can’t play both. 

Also I don’t know what Chambers has done to deserve to be dropped for Konsa. Chambers was our best player vs WHam. 

Gerrard is completely clueless. 

4 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

So he should play the same XI irrespective of who we play and how they play ? Seriously ?!!!!

I'm not saying that. I'm saying he obviously don't know his best 11.

Makes no ***** difference who he plays anyway does it, so hardly worth you trying to make out he knows what he's doing!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Bailey has played almost exclusively for us on the right wing cutting inside, Buendia played on the right for Norwich, Ramsey has been playing on the right of midfield so that McGinn can play on the left side of the midfield two, Watkins plays centrally but drifts out wide into the corners (usually on the left) to make sure that he and Ings are never close enough together to form a useful partnership, Digne plays down the left in the space that Watkins is trying to get into so that they can get in each others way and he can be out of position when the opposition break..

I was going by how we set up last game against West Ham.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Are you Steven Gerrard? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

McGinn and Ramsey CAN work together - but not with a number ten in front of them.

This would work today:

------------------------------Martinez----------------------------

------------Chambers-----Konsa------Mings------------

Cash--------------Kamara---------Luiz--------------Digne

----------------Ramsey--------------------McGinn-----------

-------------------------------Watkins-----------------------------

I'm not suggesting we do it, but it's possible to make those two work in a midfield - it's trying to force in two more attacking midfielders as well that makes it hard.

McGinn could work in a four-man midfield, because then he'd be free to defend and shoot and could leave the passing to someone else. Doesn't Scotland usually play a four-man midfield? At any rate, I don't see much of a chance of us playing a four-man midfield anytime soon, not only because SG likes variations of 4-3-3...a Ramsey-Kamara-Doug-McGinn midfield would leave too many talented forwards on the bench. (Unless you played Coutinho in midfield.)

What I want most is a win.

If we can't get that, I'd rather we got thrashed than a narrow loss or a single point. Getting Gerrard out is worth more than gallant losses or a draw.

But you've always got to go in to every game wanting a win.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

With Buendia the striker and Watkins on the left wing?

The opposite - Buendia being played out left to drift centrally more and cut in on his right. Similar to what Coutinho did/does. 

Not my ideal winger and prefer Buendia as the "10", but its more then likely the Gerrard Christmas Tree...