Ratings & Reactions: Villa v West Ham

limpid

Match Polls  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/08/22 at 22:59

It wasn't even a bad performance, or an unwinnable game.

Under normal circumstance it would have been easy to say that was " unlucky " due to the nature of the goal.

However this was legit one of those where the Manager actually prevented us from winning the game with some absolutely ridiculous decision making.

If it wasn't for the fluke goal, even a draw on the balance of the game would have been a shit result.

• Like 1

I was sitting at the trinity stand today and just saw Coutinho, McGinn, Digne , Watkins, Luiz all on the left, it felt like it was an instruction from Gerrard not to give the ball to Cash, seemed absolutely bizarre. Sadly when Cash did get it on the right he was woeful. But what tactic philosophy is this

What a brilliant summary of not just the game but our overall "progress" under Gerrard by @OutByEaster?. Get the feeling I'm already out of likes for the day but that is 100% spot on.

Indeed rather than typing out a dismissal letter for him in near future I'd just show him the first half of that post above as it perfectly sums up his weaknesses as manager at top level so perhaps he'll take things on board and improve at his next club. He can't work it out here anyway.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Fooking ell that's long

It's a perfect summary though.

We're making players work twice as hard in nonthreatening areas of the pitch so just wasting energy. Sub of Luiz was criminal and even when things click as they did in first 30 minutes we created little aside from executed set piece that sadly just swung out of play.

Of course fans don't play 100s of pro games so opinions can get dismissed but OBE has summed up our current malaise far more accurately than if Purslow was posting somewhere on this forum I reckon. If he can see it hopefully Wes and Nas can aswell.

I am sick of us being soft as shite, blunt with no aggression. I type this as i watch a forest team get well and truly stuck in to spurs. They probably won't win but won't die wondering. 

Just now, VillaChris said:

It's a perfect summary though.

We're making players work twice as hard in nonthreatening areas of the pitch so just wasting energy. Sub of Luiz was criminal and even when things click as they did in first 30 minutes we created little aside from executed set piece that sadly just swung out of play.

Of course fans don't play 100s of pro games so opinions can get dismissed but OBE has summed up our current malaise far more accurately than if Purslow was posting somewhere on this forum I reckon. If he can see it hopefully Wes and Nas can aswell.

OBE is one of out best posters. I was just commenting on how long it was. I rarely disagree with OBE.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

It’s a shame because he’s brought us much needed exposure and some very good players into the club. However, the basics on the pitch don’t even seem right now. Time to act and quickly in order to change our season.

I think you’re right. The plan was to up our profile and in that respect the plan worked. But sadly the other big part of his job, the coaching, has been pretty woeful. It can’t go on too long, hopefully we’re close to finding a replacement. The  what appears to be reluctance to spend further money on the squad at the moment would certainly indicate things are afoot. 

I thought we dominated the first half without looking a threat, Kamara must be thinking what the **** have I joined. Second half we were worse and I am yet to see any improvement in results than when Smith was manager even though we have apparently bought better players.

Time for a good manager, not a novice.

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think you’re right. The plan was to up our profile and in that respect the plan worked. But sadly the other big part of his job, the coaching, has been pretty woeful. It can’t go on too long, hopefully we’re close to finding a replacement. The  what appears to be reluctance to spend further money on the squad at the moment would certainly indicate things are afoot. 

This is where I’m baffled? Gerrard has worked under some fantastic managers and coaches, whether it be at Liverpool or England. Probably some of the very best.  So why hasn’t he bought those best coaching and managerial experiences/knowledge with him? It’s baffling.

Weird game. First half we dominated and looked in control without creating anything.

As soon as the second half kicked off the intensity seemed to drop and drop until they scored. Subs were made but there was still no urgency or quality.

West Ham were shit and absolutely robbed a win. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Weird game. First half we dominated and looked in control without creating anything.

As soon as the second half kicked off the intensity seemed to drop and drop until they scored. Subs were made but there was still no urgency or quality.

West Ham were shit and absolutely robbed a win. 

It’s been a real feature of the Gerrard era these Jekyll and Hide 90mins performances. No idea why that is but I can barely think of one game where we’ve been decent for a whole game. Southampton at home last season probably. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

This is where I’m baffled? Gerrard has worked under some fantastic managers and coaches, whether it be at Liverpool or England. Probably some of the very best.  So why hasn’t he bought those best coaching and managerial experiences/knowledge with him? It’s baffling.

He's just another Steve Bruce/O'Neil imo. Does very little actual coaching and it's all about status, motivation and buzzwords. And also constantly attempting to buy your way out of trouble.

That Martinez interview in pre season when he said Beale just did all of the coaching at Bodymoor last season said it all.

That's why we badly need a Rodgers or Pochettinho type next as those guys are proven on training pitch and do improve teams after a few months with double sessions etc.

• Like 1

Â