Ismaila Sarr

Aston_Villan4

5 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Could it be Critchley that's changing the system. We're still playing the Michael Beale setup, but NC missed our pre season with his passport issues.

Maybe the change has been in the pipeline for a while, but we're yet to have the players to do it? All guess work.... and doesn't explain having no midfield, and fullback as our main attacking options.

There might be something in this as we've played 4 3 3 now in two games and Bailey started both. Both those formations were Bailey holding the width on the right. 

Obviously we were a complete shambles in both games due to having the worst of both worlds. We vacated the one or two 10s playing centrally and we kept the ultra attacking fullbacks. 

If we get two proper wide players maybe that's now what we need to have our forwards hold the width on Sarr and Bailey. Have our full backs defend and cover runs from our 8s into the forward line.

I think Sarr for sure is versatile enough to play as a 2 with Watkins or Ings up top too with a 10 behind. That system utilises our full backs to attack.

We then use those two as our main systems

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I can't buy this. 

We've had Bailey and Traore. Buendia played as a wide right player for Norwich.

I think something is changing now. I don't think this has been the plan otherwise why didn't we start adapting to it in pre season?

Well you'd think that one of the muther **** has worked out that whatever it is we're trying isn't working. 

Whether it's Lange, Critchley or Gerrard himself, let's hope we starting seeing a turnaround on the pitch.

• Like 2

I think there's a lot of wishful thinking going on here. If we were really after a new manager then we would be sacking Gerrard and focusing on appointing a new one, not buying players who may or may not be wanted by a potential new appointment.

• Like 2

One thing is for sure we should pose a real threat on the counter against the top sides. We scored two good goals from quick transition against Everton and the goal we scored against Palace was similar back to front quickly. 

With Sarr Watkins and Bailey up top or even two of them with a 10 behind. We pose a big threat. Carlos was very good at the switch pass and Mings is good enough at that too. We saw it in pre season games.

So this looks to be part of the plan to add a dimension to our game we didn't see much of last season. If the midfield balance can be sorted and the fullbacks we could be a good side 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm strangely relieved now that Percy has spoken.

It's not all about Ismaila though .... I asked my daughter to get me something alcoholic from Iceland when she went freezer shopping earlier, and she came back with a large jug of "Old Rosie"!

I can recommend it to all of you out there who are feeling 'Villa stress' !!!!!! UTV

Cider with a picture of a vintage steam roller on the label is a sign of quality.

• Like 1

Well, we know Gerrard appears not to get too involved in the coaching end of things. Perhaps there has been meeting and it has been decided that Crichley is to take the lead in coaching and setting up the team.

Leaving Gerrard as what he is, for the moment, a figurehead.

He definitely gives us a very useful profile, just a shame he seems to be a shit manager.

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

One thing is for sure we should pose a real threat on the counter against the top sides. We scored two good goals from quick transition against Everton and the goal we scored against Palace was similar back to front quickly. 

With Sarr Watkins and Bailey up top or even two of them with a 10 behind. We pose a big threat. Carlos was very good at the switch pass and Mings is good enough at that too. We saw it in pre season games.

So this looks to be part of the plan to add a dimension to our game we didn't see much of last season. If the midfield balance can be sorted and the fullbacks we could be a good side 

The midfield balance is key - as it has been for several months - so we need to act now no more delay.

14 minutes ago, djdabush said:

I think there's a lot of wishful thinking going on here. If we were really after a new manager then we would be sacking Gerrard and focusing on appointing a new one, not buying players who may or may not be wanted by a potential new appointment.

Could be taking longer than anticipated sorting Pochettino's personal terms. 😂

1 hour ago, ejvilla said:

The last winger we signed from Watford worked out okay.

Doesn't fit the way we have been playing, but we might be playing that way due to lack of options. Bailey and Traore were not Gerrard signings, and neither have looked top 10 quality.  Few moments of magic, but inconsistent and weak.

Hopeful on this one.

Nigel Callaghan?

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Are you saying we have the makings of a very good side?

25 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I would agree with your general point.

Quite funny then that in the two games where we've had some meaningful possession we've been knocking it around very deliberately and slowly. That must be what the manager wanted originally.

• Like 1

My thoughts on this potential signing are positive ones, he’s very quick, skilful and has good end product. He was linked with a move to Liverpool at one point, so he must have something about him. My initial thoughts when the news first emerged that we were first interested in him were happy ones as I’ve always been a fan of his. For me, he’s on one of the best young wingers in the league, he’s at a good age and hopefully, he’ll only get better, providing he stays injury free edit- if he actually signs that is

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

My thoughts on this potential signing are positive ones, he’s very quick, skilful and has good end product. He was linked with a move to Liverpool at one point, so he must have something about him. My initial thoughts when the news first emerged that we were first interested in him were happy ones as I’ve always been a fan of his. For me, he’s on one of the best young wingers in the league, he’s at a good age and hopefully, he’ll only get better, providing he stays injury free edit- if he actually signs that is

I’ve decided I love you SGC, you are positive about every player ever!

• Thanks 1

Â