Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

West Ham, Arsenal and Man City next. Cant see us winning any of them, Can you?

After 3 games last season we was on 4 points. After 6 games last season we was on 10 points in the top 8!
I just cant see us anywhere near that after we play 6 games this season.

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

We won’t be relegated. We could be down there after the next 7 games. But the season is fortunately 38 games long and we have way too much quality to go down.  This is not a concern after 3 games. I don’t care how bad we look.

Problem is Gerrard is the manager and we look crap. He needs to change the midfield but won't because he is a stubborn ass, keeps ploddong on with McGinn and JJ, its not working, even a blind man could see that!

He picks Konsa over Chambers! Which is madness, Chambers is much better! 

The team may have quality but if we continue with Gerrard then we will be in or around the bottom 3 come the world Cup break.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We won’t be relegated. We could be down there after the next 7 games. But the season is fortunately 38 games long and we have way too much quality to go down.  This is not a concern after 3 games. I don’t care how bad we look.

The thing is people on here and elsewhere like to spout off dead certain predictions in both directions about us gong down, won't be able to turn things around, getting Europe etc, all based on past performances and current perceived ability. As much as people would like, those are not really indicative of what will happen. Yes, people can and should speculate, that is what we are here for, but no-one can actually predict the future.

Had it been that easy we'd all make bank from gambling. 

Team sports are a funny thing as anyone who's ever played or coached knows. Sometimes things just clicks, either because you've changed something or because the group suddenly finds its footing in terms of confidende etc.

I've coached youth ice hockey for many years, and seen it several times. I've seen it at senior level as well. Sometimes teams that should be awesome on paper just fold, never get going or just plain looks lost. Sometimes they turn it around from nowhere and just rakes in the points. 

It's a funny game, and team dynamics are such a large part of it.

Yeah, we are all couch experts and should share our opinion, but at the end of the day, none of us knows what's going on behind the scenes. Only the club does.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Problem is Gerrard is the manager and we look crap. He needs to change the midfield but won't because he is a stubborn ass, keeps ploddong on with McGinn and JJ, its not working, even a blind man could see that!

The team may have quality but if we continue with Gerrard then we will be in or around the bottom 3 come the world Cup break.

It's not the players. He changed enough players last game, most of them in the direction a majority on here wanted. The system isn't working for some reason, and swapping out individual players against other indivuduals won't help unless we find a TEAM that can play a system that is working to our strengths and the current opponents weaknesses. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daft said:

It's not the players. He changed enough players last game, most of them in the direction a majority on here wanted. The system isn't working for some reason, and swapping out individual players against other indivuduals won't help unless we find a TEAM that can play a system that is working to our strengths and the current opponents weaknesses. 

We have players that can play the system he wants but is to stubborn to pick them, would mean he would need to drop McGinn.... Luiz should be starting alongside Boubs. Chambers alongside Mings is also the better combo.

I am hoping the Sarr signing is a signal that we may see a change in tactics. 

• Like 1

Just now, calcifer said:

We have players that can play the system he wants but is to stubborn to pick them, would mean he would need to drop McGinn.... Luiz should be starting alongside Boubs. Chambers alongside Mings is also the better combo.

I am hoping the Sarr signing is a signal that we may see a change in tactics. 

No, that is too simple an explanation. I think those guys keep playing because they play his system well enough, and the system isn't working in the PL. It might have worked in Scotland, but it's **** us here. With a decent enough tactical set-up we would be relatively solid no matter what, and be able to swap out certain players based on opposition with some being better at certain things. 

But I don't see that. I don't really care about half-time subs, but what really worried me was the apparent lack of system tweeks. 

• Like 2

It's worrying when 3 games into the season some are looking for who might be the 3 worse teams than us.

I think we'll be down towards the bottom of the table after 6-7 games and then either Gerrard will have to get results or will be removed.

Overall though I can't see us getting relegated as it is but for there to even be a conversation about it shows what a shambles we are.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

You can count our good performances under Gerrard on one hand. Each passing week you at least want to see something resembling slow progress in that time but it just feels all over the place. Signing big players on big wages acting like we should be up there challenging to be the best of the rest, everything just feels very off. Miles off.

What sides would you fancy us to beat? Not many. Fulham, Brentford, Brighton, West Ham, etc manage to play good football and look like a team nearly every week. I would expect us to lose to all these teams in all honesty just going on what I see week to week; so unless something drastic changes and clicks its going to be a long season. Depressing state of affairs at the moment

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure people are talking about this enough. I’d be a lot less concerned if Forest and Fulham were losing matches but they look like they’re up for it. 

Right now, Everton and perhaps Bournemouth (they beat us - LOL) aside, I think we’re the worst team in the division. 

We’re in a lot more bother than people think or care to admit. Just because we spend money and we’re a big club, doesn’t mean we won’t struggle this season. If we continue to play the way we are, we’ll be relegated. 

In a funny way this reminds me of 15/16 a bit. Going to be a similar start I suspect (we were on 4 points after 6 games that season and could easily happen this time). Team on paper also looks better than what they're achieving on the pitch.

At least this time we can do something about it whereas then Lerner and co had basically given up at prem level.

I don't for one second think we'll go down but I can certainly see us stuck in bottom half for most of this season.

To all those thinking we will go down though, you genuinely don't think NSWE will do anything about it? It's not a good look for them to be giving Gerrard endless chances if his points per game ratio is well down on what DS got sacked for. 

2 hours ago, calcifer said:

NSWE will sack him if we don't beat Southampton at home imo, that's less than four weeks away so we'll be 7/8 games into the season.

There's now a certain inevitability about us heading into the bottom 3 considering our next few games, and the good teams below us inevitably improving. Surely the only way SG won't lose his job is in the very unlikely scenario that we play much better than expected, and maybe even pick up a point out of these games. Even if by some miracle this happens, can see us sitting 19th / 20th come the autumn. Miserable.

Leeds aren't getting relegated that's for sure, I had them as bottom 3 a few weeks back after they lost Phillips and Raphinha.

Signed very well indeed from the Bundesliga.

Very hard to pick a bottom 3 at this stage whereas early last season Watford and Norwich were certs to go down.

He will only be given so much time with this form and rightly so.

We have to see improvement, but now, I'm not sure we will.

all managers have peaks and troughs....but in my experience, when you dip as low as we have, and  we have dipped too low imo..its hard to get it back.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, messi11 said:

West Ham, Arsenal and Man City next. Cant see us winning any of them, Can you?

If we don't beat West Ham in the form they're in, he just can't survive, surely.

I'd have sacked him already, but I see absolutely no way he can continue if we don't beat West Ham, and I'd seriously doubt the competence of people above him at the club.

• Like 1

This season was all about pushing on for Europe, not seen anything other than hanging on and trying to survive this season so far.

Once a club gets seen as the whipping boys and an easy 3 points to pick up against it very difficult to break out

Relegation this season would be an utter disaster for Aston Villa.