Positives:

We are only 3 pts from top of the table
We are only 1 point for Liverpool
We are the same points of Man City and Man United and Wolves

Negatives:

Stevie Gerrard is in charge

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If we don't beat Everton I'm struggling to see any wins at all tbh for rest of the month and into September.

We won at Palace last season with a really good performance but historically Selhurst Park is a poor away venue for us, draw at best.

West Ham are massive bogey team and have signed some good players so can't see us beating them whatever 11 we put out.

Then Arsenal and Man. City over three days.....

Bizarre to say second game of the season is already must win but we really need three points on Saturday just to settle everything down otherwise we won't be even matching the 10 points from first 6 games DS took last season before it all collapsed for Dean.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If we don't beat Everton I'm struggling to see any wins at all tbh for rest of the month and into September.

We won at Palace last season with a really good performance but historically Selhurst Park is a poor away venue for us, draw at best.

West Ham are massive bogey team and have signed some good players so can't see us beating them whatever 11 we put out.

Then Arsenal and Man. City over three days.....

Bizarre to say second game of the season is already must win but we really need three points on Saturday just to settle everything down otherwise we won't be even matching the 10 points from first 6 games DS took last season before it all collapsed for Dean.

It really is a worry Chris, I don't see us beating Everton tbh. We have had a good few wins against them over the last few seasons and it just feels like time they got a result against us for some reason and we are looking pretty much in disarray after that shocking performance at Bournemouth. Would even be happy with a draw just to get something on the board. 

I don't like our strike force (Great to see Archer in there though but way to early to be expecting too much from him especially whilst it's a bit sour) nor our rather weird midfield. The two just don't seem to know how to play together and haven't done for a good while.

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I think we will struggle to get 12 - 15 points.

There's no way Gerrard would survive that. We play 16 games before the World Cup break. Anything less than 20 (and that's generous) and he'll surely be given his P45. Unless everything the owners and Purslow have said about our ambitions is a lie that is.

I was actually not expecting this thread to open at all this season, wasn't convinced we'd be top 7 but thought we'd be comfortably midtable all season at a minimum and at least start the season with a couple of wins. But never underestimate the capacity of this football club to make a c*ck up of everything, they've been doing it every season for the last 12 years so why stop now.

The fact is this squad should be nowhere near a relegation battle but we have in my opinion probably the worst manager in the league. I actually thought only Lampard was worse but I've actually changed my mind on that and at least Everton's players look like they give a sh*t. 

I never expected to see a Villa team with so much quality on paper be so poor. At least under Lambert and Sherwood we knew the team was shite, it was hard to expect anything good of them because the quality of that team was so poor, but it's really hard to accept this team being as bad as they are.

I will assess where we are after the Southampton game as to whether we are in a genuine relegation battle or not. I think we need to win at least three games up to then to ensure we aren't dragged into a relegation battle. Even then we may only be averaging slightly above a point a game which is pretty much relegation form. If we're anywhere near the bottom 3 at that stage I'd expect them to look to replace Gerrard unless they want to do even worse than last season which you would think is totally unacceptable to them. 

• Like 1

At this point , after watching that absolute horror show against the mighty Bournemouth, I would take just survival as this seasons achievement. As we saw last season with Newcastle, you can suddenly whip through 14 games in this division without a single win, if you get off to the wrong start. I just hope & pray that our home form level is way above our away form level. That's what I am clinging to but I fear the dressing room has now been divided after "Mingsgate" and I am genuinely fearful for our season. 

Sounds as though there is some internal disruption affecting things as that performance was not normal. That was more than an off-day, it was like a bunch of disinterested blokes going through the motions with no interest in trying to get a result.

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So I guess Villa,  United and Wolves are all going down. Liverpool will be in a scrap.

Liverpool haven't got yhr stomach for it, they're in massive trouble, we've been here before and have more nous 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah West Ham, Arsenal and Man. City next 3 so we'll be lucky to be on 4 points after 6 games given how we've played so far this season.

With some on paper winnable games from middle of September the board will have a major decision to make imo.

I was looking through the line ups today and thinking Southampton look to have one of the worst in the league and they're beating Leicester 2-1 away currently so relegation is very tough to call bar Everton and Man. United who look certs.....

If you can't defend basic crosses and set pieces. If you're midfield can't pass the ball and if you're forward players all of them look isolated and clueless and turgid you're probably going to be in a relegation battle.

It's coaching. Coaching . Coaching.

Or there lack of.

• Like 2

Sadly this could be a real threat this season with Gerrard! We look devoid of any tactics. Anyone that this otherwise needs to take off their Villa Glasses and look at the performances!