Villa Podcasts & The Athletic Coverage

HalfTimePost

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Then there's the fact you know his aim is completely financial as he was going to go to paetreon only for his show but assume when he saw the numbers they changed his mind.

I think one thing that put me off him was how he was asking for viewers to donate money so he could afford to make the trip over and watch a game (something along those lines, can't remember exactly). I just remember thinking to myself if he stopped buying so much Villa merch he could afford to go. For whatever reason that annoyed me and i've barely watched since. 

7 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Well first of all he's a lone talker and never interacts with anyone which is always a bad way to do a podcast.

I mean the issue here is assuming everything is a podcast these days.  

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I think one thing that put me off him was how he was asking for viewers to donate money so he could afford to make the trip over and watch a game (something along those lines, can't remember exactly). I just remember thinking to myself if he stopped buying so much Villa merch he could afford to go. For whatever reason that annoyed me and i've barely watched since. 

Yeah was that too. Also having never been to VP yet to be a big Villa fan. Canada isn't that far. 

9 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah was that too. Also having never been to VP yet to be a big Villa fan. Canada isn't that far. 

Could’ve sold one of his whiskey bottles tbf

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Vancouver to England is about 7,500 miles. That's a long and expensive flight.

But I agree, the donation requests were a bit unseemly and presumptuous for someone still quite new on the scene. "Pay for my flight and I'll bless you with my presence."

On the whole though, I like his enthusiasm and analysis, and it's well produced. Great sound quality. He can lay his personality on a bit thick sometimes, but I guess that's just part of the package.

I do detect some jealousy dripping through some of these comments.

My view is that we’re very lucky to have such a choice of really quite excellent content made by fans for fans. There really is something for everyone and for every mood.

I do think Dan Bardell deserves a special mention though. He has supported so many of the other Pods through their journey and is generally just such a nice bloke. Also, if you read between the lines, he knows a lot about what’s going on at the club. Exhibit A - He very subtly trailed Purslow’s departure months before it was confirmed. 

Edited by DakotaVilla

Errr.. Pete has been to VP. He came and watched us thrash Newcastle IIRC and met some old players like Tony Morley - he made a video all about it.

His personality can grate a little at times but it’s difficult doing a solo podcast and there’s no doubt he’s a proper Villa fan.

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Vancouver to England is about 7,500 miles. That's a long and expensive flight.

But I agree, the donation requests were a bit unseemly and presumptuous for someone still quite new on the scene. "Pay for my flight and I'll bless you with my presence."

On the whole though, I like his enthusiasm and analysis, and it's well produced. Great sound quality. He can lay his personality on a bit thick sometimes, but I guess that's just part of the package.

I don't know this person so I don't know where in Canada he's from, but if he's from Vancouver it's about as far from Birmingham as Beijing is, it's absolutely not a trivial or cheap journey. My niece and nephew live near Vancouver and the flights for my wife and I to get there last year were £2.5k. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Not from me. I wish each and every Villa podcaster all the success, and I'm thankful there are so many options. The ones I regularly watch and listen to are

Claret & Blue

FTLOPM

Holy Trinity

MOMS

None of these are immune to the occasional critique, and I think they'd all appreciate the occasional critique as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

I do think Dan Bardell deserves a special mention though. He has supported so many of the other Pods through their journey

Something I find heartwarming is the fraternity of Villa podcasters and the support they give one another. You might not expect that dynamic in such a saturated market, so they all deserve a tip of the hat for that. And although Holy Trinity doesn't seem to participate in this fraternity, he regularly puts a shine on a couple of Villan "match correspondents" and he's featured that contracting business heavily in each show for months, which is a good move IMO, even if he's getting paid by the guy. I do not doubt Pete's Villa bonafides, he's been a fan since the 80's. I thought I must've been one of the oldest North American Villa fans until Pete dispelled me of that notion.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who find Villa podcasts a little boring?

I know what's going on at the club and get various takes from people including this forum. Listening to someone tell me why Watkins is good for 10 mins is a bit ''yeah, I know that''.

The only one I listen to regularly is The Villa Podcast, some Irish humour makes it far more entertaining. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

My view is that we’re very lucky to have such a choice of really quite excellent content made by fans for fans. There really is something for everyone and for every mood.

I do think Dan Bardell deserves a special mention though. He has supported so many of the other Pods through their journey and is generally just such a nice bloke. Also, if you read between the lines, he knows a lot about what’s going on at the club. Exhibit A - He very subtly trailed Purslow’s departure months before it was confirmed. 

Dan helped me out massively with mine and deserves all the success he is getting. He’s worked hard for it. 

I regularly listen/watch The Claret & Blue podcast, FTLOPM podcast, 1874 podcast and the Villa on tour VLOG. I have recently started listening to The Villa Park podcast too. I used to listen to MOMS but I started to find them a bit annoying and smug so I gave in. I do love podcasts 

11 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Errr.. Pete has been to VP. He came and watched us thrash Newcastle IIRC and met some old players like Tony Morley - he made a video all about it.

His personality can grate a little at times but it’s difficult doing a solo podcast and there’s no doubt he’s a proper Villa fan.

Yeah, we're all speaking about a time before he had been to VP. He was asking viewers to donate money. 

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Kendrick interview with Big Rob is good. Yes BR is proper old school and couldn’t do what he did now. But comes across well and knows how to spin a yarn. At times did think he was sounding very old (mental lapse etc)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Â