Villa Podcasts & The Athletic Coverage

HalfTimePost

The cadence of David Ornstein gets under my skin like no other person and I don't know why.

Listening to a podcast with him on could be turned into a bingo card.

Drink when he says the exact sentence "but we'll come on to talk about that later" even though he's never hosting.

Drink when he name drops a person completely unrelated to the question and also when he announces their job title or position too.

Drink when he starts with "look" talking on a non-visual medium.

Bonus round during the transfer window, drink when he agrees to go on a podcast but then stands up and walks out on the phone within minutes just to prove how busy and important and connected he is. 

Drink when he plugs an exclusive the athletic did on something or someone, as if he's got a controlling stake in the company.

Double shot when that exclusive lasted seconds, before being reported throughout all other media. He'll make it out like anyone who doesn't read the athletic is oblivious to this exclusive information. 

Also his reporting on Villa seems to always come around Unai so I assume the contact the athletic have is connected to the manager from his Arsenal days, rather than anyone in the club. 

Edited by skarroki
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve listened to all (or nearly all) of the various Villa podcasts over the years, and I’ve started to get bored of a lot of them and stopped listening. There’s a lot of repetition out there, and I’m very easily irritated by little things. 

Claret and Blue is one I’ve fell out with, John and Dan are nice lads but I find the content annoying now. Dan is constantly signposting and over explaining the show, and I find John’s voice/cadence hard to listen to, it’s so rushed and kind of short and clipped. Doesn’t sound good to my ear. 

For The Love of Paul McGrath - my brain just can’t contend with that level of excessive words, Neil knows his stuff but I just wish he’d slow down and deliver a more considered presentation. 

1874 - I’ve listened to Dan Bardell’s views ever since Villa View started, and I don’t mind him now. What I do mind is that he perseveres with Gregg Evans still. I get why but I can’t abide him so don’t listen when he’s on. Jacob Tanswell on the other hand, I’ll always listen to him. He’s like the anti-gregg.

The Holy Trinity - I watched maybe five of his videos, and again I can’t abide him. There’s something about his demeanour that’s really off putting for me. 

The only ones I listen to now tend to be:

The Villa Podcast - these lads are sharp and witty, plus they give a very detailed analysis of the games. 

UTV podcast - I’ve only really started listening to Luke’s pods recently, he has good guests on, both Villa fans and rival teams. He’s ever passionate about Villa and has a good grasp of the tactics. 

Omar’s Villa Talks - no need for any further comment, I’m glad this is back. 

I dabble with the Athletic podcasts, Tifo and other general football discussion shows. But they mostly focus on the ‘big six’ which is boring. Villa come up occasionally but it’s rare that the commentator gets us. I am a fan of Football Cliches though, that always gets a listen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

1874 - I’ve listened to Dan Bardell’s views ever since Villa View started, and I don’t mind him now. What I do mind is that he perseveres with Gregg Evans still. I get why but I can’t abide him so don’t listen when he’s on. Jacob Tanswell on the other hand, I’ll always listen to him. He’s like the anti-gregg.

I dabble with the Athletic podcasts, Tifo and other general football discussion shows. But they mostly focus on the ‘big six’ which is boring. Villa come up occasionally but it’s rare that the commentator gets us. I am a fan of Football Cliches though, that always gets a listen. 

Just wanted to respond to both of these. Dan can surely see cliff face drop-off in listener's every pod he does where Gregg appears alongside him. When you say "I get why" what is the reason? I genuinely don't understand why someone so uncharismatic, unconnected and not a Villa fan would be regularly turning up to do a podcast about us. Blows my mind. 

I really like Jacob but I've clicked off so many videos seconds in now that I don't get the videos showing up in my feed anymore, YouTube has learned. Also Ornstein et al focusing purely on big clubs means I've unsubscribed from the athletic and don't get to enjoy Jacob's writing anymore either. 

Football cliches I think is brilliant and it's nice to have something out there so removed from biases towards clubs or leagues or anything, just straight up funny football chat. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ve listened to all (or nearly all) of the various Villa podcasts over the years, and I’ve started to get bored of a lot of them and stopped listening. There’s a lot of repetition out there, and I’m very easily irritated by little things. 

Claret and Blue is one I’ve fell out with, John and Dan are nice lads but I find the content annoying now. Dan is constantly signposting and over explaining the show, and I find John’s voice/cadence hard to listen to, it’s so rushed and kind of short and clipped. Doesn’t sound good to my ear. 

For The Love of Paul McGrath - my brain just can’t contend with that level of excessive words, Neil knows his stuff but I just wish he’d slow down and deliver a more considered presentation. 

The Holy Trinity - I watched maybe five of his videos, and again I can’t abide him. There’s something about his demeanour that’s really off putting for me. 

The only ones I listen to now tend to be:

The Villa Podcast - these lads are sharp and witty, plus they give a very detailed analysis of the games. 

UTV podcast - I’ve only really started listening to Luke’s pods recently, he has good guests on, both Villa fans and rival teams. He’s ever passionate about Villa and has a good grasp of the tactics. 

Omar’s Villa Talks - no need for any further comment, I’m glad this is back. 

I listen to lots of football podcasts too especially Villa.

Quite like Dan and John but agree about Johns over explaining.

Also agree about FTLOPMc he knows his stuff but isn’t so watchable to me.

1874 - I like both Dan and Gregg… Gregg brings a balance (no Villa biases)

Other football based podcasts just don’t seem to take us seriously or even understand what we are as a club.They make me smile when I listen to their uneducated opinions which they deliver with almost absolute certainty.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Just wanted to respond to both of these. Dan can surely see cliff face drop-off in listener's every pod he does where Gregg appears alongside him. When you say "I get why" what is the reason? I genuinely don't understand why someone so uncharismatic, unconnected and not a Villa fan would be regularly turning up to do a podcast about us. Blows my mind. 

I really like Jacob but I've clicked off so many videos seconds in now that I don't get the videos showing up in my feed anymore, YouTube has learned. Also Ornstein et al focusing purely on big clubs means I've unsubscribed from the athletic and don't get to enjoy Jacob's writing anymore either. 

Football cliches I think is brilliant and it's nice to have something out there so removed from biases towards clubs or leagues or anything, just straight up funny football chat. 

I think that Dan looks up to him as somebody important from the football journalist community, and that his presence on the show puts its at a higher level than the standard fan shows. I also think he feels slightly indebted to him for helping him get more exposure with The Athletic. I think they’re friends as well. Which is all fair enough, and I don’t mind having none-Villa people on speaking about Villa, balance is healthy and all that. 

I just can’t listen to him act like he knows everything whilst simultaneously demonstrating he doesn’t. And the thing that grates the most is when he starts his sentences with “listen”. Just like Gerrard used to. Urgh!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Other football based podcasts just don’t seem to take us seriously or even understand what we are as a club.They make me smile when I listen to their uneducated opinions which they deliver with almost absolute certainty.

Very true. 

I do flick through episodes looking for those that mention Villa in their episode title. I listened to the Athletic pod previewing the Arsenal Villa game, but I listened to it after we had beaten them just to see what they said. It wasn’t terrible but after a quick round up of Arsenal’s form they were straight onto which Villa players Arsenal would want in their team. Watkins and Dougie were quickly moved on. 

I honestly don’t think the wider media have a clue about the people running Villa. It’s fun to see play out. 

Seems like a bit of an unpopular opinion these days, but MOMS is the podcast I look forward to listening to the most.

Claret & Blue is watchable and I particularly like the post match reaction show. But they sometimes put out extra shows for the sake if it (presumably under pressure from Reach to generate extra revenue).

I don't get the Gregg hate on 1874 as he does a professional job. Its an ok podcast, if a little bit run of the mill.

If all villa podcasts formed a football team then I could imagine Neil from FtLoPM would be the manager, as he seems to have a good tactical knowledge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkLillis said:

I listen to lots of football podcasts too especially Villa.

Quite like Dan and John but agree about Johns over explaining.

Also agree about FTLOPMc he knows his stuff but isn’t so watchable to me.

1874 - I like both Dan and Gregg… Gregg brings a balance (no Villa biases)

Dont always talk about us but Football Ramble loves us. Its the only one have seen praise Unai and Watkins consistently this season. 

• Like 1

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I think specific club podcasts are more interesting when the team is struggling

Only so many times you can hear how great Unai is

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I think specific club podcasts are more interesting when the team is struggling

Agreed unless you are losing every week, then there are so many times you can hear how shit the manager is… mid table bobbing about makes the perfect podcast

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

Very much this. Although living in Leeds I started listening to the square ball and this season it has been fun to follow along. It has been much more fun to follow during the recent collapse however and the copium, especially as they're self-aware. 

I enjoy listening to "podcasts" like the kick off just because some of their "opinions" are so obviously not even what they think, just throwing out controversy to generate outrage in the comments. Particular highlight of that pod is how much credit Monchi gets for building this squad whenever they accidentally touch on Villa. Clearly just had a look at staff names and decided to credit everything on him without checking how recently he joined. 

• Like 1

I enjoy all the pods.

It's my age but I do sometimes get a bit frustrated when Townley doesn't know pre 2009 stuff, like naming McGinn our best premier league era captain when he hasn't matched either Richardson or Townsend yet.

23 hours ago, Zatman said:

I bet the blues podcasts are a riot every year.

On 30/04/2024 at 17:04, It's Your Round said:

Even when I'm on it?! 😭

7 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Even when I'm on it?! 😭

Yes Rob, it’s even worse then!

Only joking, your dulcet tones are very welcome. I do like the guests they have on and I do still listen to the pod, but I can’t do them all as there’s so many. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Don't really listen to any of them.

The ones I do are more interviews with old players/managers from the 90s/2000s e.g John Gregory and Dublin. More of a nostalgia guy so big fan of the Under the Cosh podcast for example.

The Villa view one 5-6 years ago with Matt Lynch and Dan Bardell was great for that and obviously Dan has gone onto bigger and better things since with his media career so a nice stepping stone.

Is there a Villa Podcast out there that interviews Carew, Angel, Mellberg, Laursen etc? Imagine asking Bosko Balaban for his thoughts on his Villa spell, that would be comedy gold.😂 Ginola aswell.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Even when I'm on it?! 😭

You are brilliant on it!

John is probably going to be great but his reference points begin in about 2010! He missed out on Richardson and Townsend in discussing our best PL era captains for example!. The debate they had on staying at Villa Park v building a New stadium, also, could have been so much better. The points raised on the Villa Talk threads were far stronger, for and against.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â