Villa Podcasts & The Athletic Coverage

HalfTimePost

10 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

The Villa On Tour podcast (an offshoot of the Vlog) with Max Stokes and Simon Lines is quite good.  I would recommend it. 

Weirdly never liked Max Stokes heard him as a guest on a few shows, no reason why, just don’t like listening to him.

Weirdly, because we have been doing so well, I’ve not really listened to many podcasts.  I listen to Claret and Blue now and again and 1874 when Jacob is on - both for interesting tidbits from behind the scenes or after a presser. I used to listen to MOMs and The Villa Podcast quite a bit. The latter is great when things are going wrong as they always given an entertaining take on things and are not afraid to give their views. I found MOMs has changed quite a bit tbh. Become more downtrodden and holier than thou. A shame as it was my favourite pod at one point. Having been in the game myself, I just find everyone says the same things in a slightly different way. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

Oh you can, he is awful and some of the stuff he came out with a few seasons back he felt like a club puppet

Havent watched him since then

I agree I think his is terrible, he just seems to shout a lot.  I tried listening to his but couldn't.

FTLOPM & Claret & Blue are my favourites. 

Paddy on FTLOPM is probably my Favourite.....I just love it when he has a rant.

Matt Kendrick ..claret & Blue, looks like we are lucky to have him on.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

The Villa On Tour podcast (an offshoot of the Vlog) with Max Stokes and Simon Lines is quite good.  I would recommend it. 

Love villa on tour. Watch the matchday vlogs religiously and all seem like great lads

But weirdly I really don't like the podcast. They don't seem to offer much different to the others and feel like they're missing a trick in not talking enough about things like ticket allocations, transport, away fan experience etc etc. The last two get mentioned but I feel this should be their niche. There are 7 other pods I can listen to to hear about what happened on the pitch.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

Oh you can, he is awful and some of the stuff he came out with a few seasons back he felt like a club puppet

Havent watched him since then

Really is marmite this guy. Never met someone say "he's alright" about him. Everyone either freaking loves him or can't stand him

I'm in the latter group

19 hours ago, The_Rev said:

If it makes you feel any better knowing what you’ve missed, Greg now talks about Liverpool multiple times every week. 

I actually feel like he's trolling at this point and it's like Dan can't see it. You can tell he doesn't watch villa anymore and knows that the fan base generally doesn't like him so he's just on the wind up

Claret and Blue is like the bread and butter podcast 7/10 and easy to listen to

FTLOPM is great over the summer and when we're linked with players. Neil does great analysis and I loved the loan watch too.

1874 is good as I really like Dan and Jacob Tanswell is an exceptional reporter for Villa.

The Villa Podcast is good the odd time for a laugh. Nordie Irish humour. 

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Weirdly never liked Max Stokes heard him as a guest on a few shows, no reason why, just don’t like listening to him.

Nothing weird about that - I personally find him tepid and lacking knowledge when listening to his analysis, but also absolutely despise his crew, having the unfortunate experience of spending approximately 20 minutes with them in Rennes last year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/02/2024 at 13:07, TreeVillan said:

I don't get the puppet vibe from him myself but fair enough 

I like Pete.  He offers some unique takes and his production is top notch.  But lately his shows seem to be toeing the company line.  It’s almost like he is angling for some favors from the club. 

Edited by nepal_villan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I like Pete.  He offers some unique takes and his production is top notch.  But lately his podcasts seem to be toeing the company line.  It’s almost like he is angling for some favors from the club. 

I'm not catching that vibe, but perhaps that's just me.

He doesn't seem to be well liked on here. Could it be Pete appeals more to the non-local fanbase like myself?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Nothing weird about that - I personally find him tepid and lacking knowledge when listening to his analysis, but also absolutely despise his crew, having the unfortunate experience of spending approximately 20 minutes with them in Rennes last year. 

that's a shame to hear. they always seemed like nice lads.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I'm not catching that vibe, but perhaps that's just me.

He doesn't seem to be well liked on here. Could it be Pete appeals more to the non-local fanbase like myself?

Well first of all he's a lone talker and never interacts with anyone which is always a bad way to do a podcast.

Secondly is the view those across the water have on sports in general doesn't vibe too well with how we view sport.

Then there's the fact you know his aim is completely financial as he was going to go to paetreon only for his show but assume when he saw the numbers they changed his mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Well first of all he's a lone talker and never interacts with anyone which is always a bad way to do a podcast.

Secondly is the view those across the water have on sports in general doesn't vibe too well with how we view sport.

Then there's the fact you know his aim is completely financial as he was going to go to paetreon only for his show but assume when he saw the numbers they changed his mind.

Hmm.... I get your other points, but the last one is a little odd

If he can make a living out of following Villa - fair play! Pretty niche if making money was your only aim - perhaps a big 6 club would have been a  better choice. Seems a strange thing to judge him on

18 hours ago, tomav84 said:

I actually feel like he's trolling at this point and it's like Dan can't see it. You can tell he doesn't watch villa anymore and knows that the fan base generally doesn't like him so he's just on the wind up

See it has become the opposite. He has been talking up our chances of top 4 and how great the season is going despite our dip in form. Most people don't like him because despite his faults he is actually quite level headed and has enough connections in the game to get an accurate read on things. His lack of emotional investment and getting carried away puts people off. Bardell is similar (level headed most of the time) but does have the emotional investment obviously. 

If we lose a game its easier to listen to 1874 then to come on this forum IMO.

• Thanks 1

1874 could easily be the best podcast around but it's getting left in the dirt. 

I used to watch 1874 every time in spite of what annoys me, but now, I load it up, 85% of the time it's Dan saying "not sure if we're live" or slagging off the producer or guest in some way as a reason for starting late, then he introduces Greg. By that point I'm completely out and the episode is off. 

The Square Ball is a good example of how to do football podcasts. Get everyone in the room and film it, the costs might be higher but the change in quality is immense and draws in worldwide audiences and a good percentage of fans of other clubs too. 

Think Claret and Blue podcast are going that way now and they're my favourites. I kind of wish Dan would lend his talents to that set up and go all in with them, just ditch 1874 completely. We've got some great talents and good podcasts but it's beyond saturation point and if some of them who are in it full time and within a close distance just met up daily to have a chat it would draw in much bigger audiences. 

Edit: Dan's mentioned he reads comments so if he ever sees this I want to be clear, Greg's the one who annoys me and brings the brand down and hats off to you for creating your own brand and podcast and making it full time in media. I just think working with other people would improve your product and help them get more out of theirs too. 

Edited by skarroki

26 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

See it has become the opposite. He has been talking up our chances of top 4 and how great the season is going despite our dip in form. Most people don't like him because despite his faults he is actually quite level headed and has enough connections in the game to get an accurate read on things. His lack of emotional investment and getting carried away puts people off. Bardell is similar (level headed most of the time) but does have the emotional investment obviously. 

If we lose a game its easier to listen to 1874 then to come on this forum IMO.

I agree, he's just not good at getting his point across. So stumbling on words etc..  but when you've listened to him enough you get the points he's trying to make. 

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

this is it for me. and it doesn't come across in a way of "just my opinion, i'd like to know what you guys think" but more like "this is how it is"

but it's been a while since i listened to him to be fair

• Like 1

For what it’s worth here’s my top three.

I just think it’s great that we can watch these things now.Much better than having to listen to TalkSPORT or Sky.

1.Claret and Blue - all of them are likeable and try to balance out their opinions.

2. 1874. - Dans good Greg is a bit disinterested in my opinion but knowledgable.

3. FTLOPMc - they know their stuff on here even better during the transfer window.

• Like 1

Â