Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

Looks really settled with the team as well, which I was worried about a little as his English didn’t seem that great. Seemed chuffed to score as well and celebrate with the team too. 

Also, how many of our CBs could do those tricks with Dougie?

on his first day vid, did anyone else notice that he waited outside and greeted everyone of his team mates. Cult status imminent I think.

If he grows a beard as well…….OMG!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I really like Carlos but he is going to pick up a lot of cards especially when he is shithousing the likes of Salah and De Bruyne

Him, Kamara and Luiz been ploughing through the back of people every game. I'm a bit worried about pens seeing how easily Saka decided he would like one against Sevilla.

• Like 3

Him v Kieffer Moore will be interesting battle on opening day.

I remember Vlaar cruised through his first pre season ...then his first game was v West Ham and he endlessly kept on fouling Carlton Cole and giving away free kicks in dangerous areas and they eventually scored from one.

Think big issue is we get the partner right for Diego. Bit bemused a week out from the season and we went with Konsa when you look at the performance levels of our three CBs since January.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Him v Kieffer Moore will be interesting battle on opening day.

I remember Vlaar cruised through his first pre season ...then his first game was v West Ham and he endlessly kept on fouling Carlton Cole and giving away free kicks in dangerous areas and they eventually scored from one.

Think big issue is we get the partner right for Diego. Bit bemused a week out from the season and we went with Konsa when you look at the performance levels of our three CBs since January.

Concrete Carlos

• Like 1

i know its only pre-season, so who knows what the first few games will bring.

However, watching the pre season games, when you compare Carlos, Mings and Konsa, watching Carlos just shows what real quality is and what it looks like, Carlos is just so composed, so good on the ball, pinging passes around like its nothing.

Actually seeing that kind of quality in our central defence, really highlights just what a top player looks like, and for all our arguments and debates about how good our CD's were, Carlos just highlights the gap between a top level player and average players.

Hopefully his form will transfer to PL games, we will soon see!

He looks seriously good to me.

Height/winning headers will be the test yes. He is absolutely immovable though, once he's planted he's holding that space. That will help him.

• Like 2

Certainly puts paid to this footballing hipster nonsense that you need to have a leftie playing on the left of a CB partnership. It’s totally irrelevant if you can’t defend. This guy looks good. 

15 hours ago, Indigo said:

Love this guy already. Makes everything he does look so effortless.

People in the replies using this video as another opportunity to bash Mings. Our fans on Twitter are among the worst.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

I really like Carlos but he is going to pick up a lot of cards especially when he is shithousing the likes of Salah and De Bruyne

He has always been liable for a red card or a blooper and I do worry about people turning on him when they cost us points (similar to Mings). I’d expect at least a couple of red cards/longer multi-yellow suspensions for sure.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Actually seeing that kind of quality in our central defence, really highlights just what a top player looks like, and for all our arguments and debates about how good our CD's were, Carlos just highlights the gap between a top level player and average players.

Ever so slight an exaggeration here. Let's wait until the real games begin ,shall we? I watched him a lot for Sevilla and that centre back pairing were solid but by far the better of the pair has gone to Barça. Let's not build him up for a fall. He'll need time to adapt and mistakes will be made. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Niall said:

Ever so slight an exaggeration here. Let's wait until the real games begin ,shall we? I watched him a lot for Sevilla and that centre back pairing were solid but by far the better of the pair has gone to Barça. Let's not build him up for a fall. He'll need time to adapt and mistakes will be made. 

Barcelona sign a better player than Aston Villa--shocker.

• Like 2

If he does become our best central defender, it'll be interesting to see whether he plays best with Mings, Konsa or Chambers as his partner. 

It might end up for example that Mings is better than Konza, but Carlos plays better with Konza.  or vice versa. 

7 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

He has always been liable for a red card or a blooper and I do worry about people turning on him when they cost us points (similar to Mings). I’d expect at least a couple of red cards/longer multi-yellow suspensions for sure.

This is inevitable at some point but if he gets off to a very strong start he could earn cult hero status early on and then the natives might be a bit more forgiving if he has a bad game.

Think he is even stronger than he looks.

His strength together with what seems like his footballing intelligence and pace make for some combo.

Knows how to use his body to get in between opposition and the ball effectively.

As a couple others have noted, problem is i've seen even bigger players bounce off him and if the standard of refereeing is as shite as it's been the last couple seasons he could see a few cards, simply for being a brick.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Â