Walsall a July 9th 13:00

limpid

First game of pre season and they look very well conditioned. Also surprised by their fluidity amongst unfamiliar players in these two halves. 

We really have a very good squad when fit, shocking to think Konsa, Coutinho, Digne, Cash, Martinez, McGinn and even our better academy products and Davis are all missing.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

Have a lot of love for Ashley Young and like that he's been kept around for what he can offer to a largely quite inexperienced group of players comparatively, but the idea of him playing much at PL level does worry me a bit. Feels like he has at least one back post scare every game.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

From Wikipedia: Walsall actually beat us in the pre-season friendly two seasons in a row! In 2003 and 2004, both were 2-1. But 2004 appears to be the last time they won it. I wonder if they'll ever win it again, poor Walsall.☹️ Anyway, well done Villa today! 🙂

Yeah Young looked a bit shaky at the back and ineffective going forward. Sanson didn’t impress despite being busy and getting on the ball a lot.

Feeney looked decent, shame he couldn’t have got the fifth goal when he blazed over from 6 yards out.

Steady showing and seemingly no major injuries picked up so win-win.

Where were Ramsey and Guilbert though? 

17 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah Young looked a bit shaky at the back and ineffective going forward. Sanson didn’t impress despite being busy and getting on the ball a lot.

Feeney looked decent, shame he couldn’t have got the fifth goal when he blazed over from 6 yards out.

Feeney will go to the very top, first time I’ve seen him play but you can just tell he has something about him. 

25 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Raikhy was reported yesterday as a "late addition" to the friendly squad, so Ramsey seems to have been pulled out for some reason. Injured...? 🤔

Edited by est1874

Few thoughts...

4231 and 4312: Not a huge fan of either shape, hard to judge with such a hodge-podge XIs though.

Carlos: Absolutely class on and off the ball

Mings: Lost the ball twice in not great positions in very Mingsy ways

Azaz: Involved. Nakamba obviously wasn't going to lead any play so took charge 

Traore: MOTM - intent and production

El Ghazi: Shouldn't make a PL bench this season

Bailey: Working himself back in, tried lots without it all coming off

Archer: Barely involved but a great goal, all his own work. Neither of our £30m strikers score that goal. Ings doesn't get away from the defender and Watkins doesn't finish it

Feeney: As good a CB at that age you'll see

Luiz: Broke out of a walk maybe three times. Keen not to pick up an injury is all that performance said to me

O'Reilly: Very talented but needs to fill out or use his body better, watch how Emi B shields the ball

Ings: Looked slow

Everyone else more or less what you'd  expect. Shame not to see Guilbert, hopefully a move lined up for him. No chance he'd be any worse in defence or attack than Young.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robby b said:

From Wikipedia: Walsall actually beat us in the pre-season friendly two seasons in a row! In 2003 and 2004, both were 2-1. But 2004 appears to be the last time they won it. I wonder if they'll ever win it again, poor Walsall.☹️ Anyway, well done Villa today! 🙂

Wasn't one of those defeats when Lee Hendrie started arguing with the villa fans?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indigo said:

Have a lot of love for Ashley Young and like that he's been kept around for what he can offer to a largely quite inexperienced group of players comparatively, but the idea of him playing much at PL level does worry me a bit. Feels like he has at least one back post scare every game.

Inexperienced group of players ?

Most of the starting most likely starting  11for aug 6  are vastly experienced imo 

Â