Rennes a July 30th 18:00 CET

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Funny that if we lose "it's only a friendly, don't get carried away". If we win "we played fantastic, we are looking good for a European place". 😂

Funny that if we lose it's oh my god, everything terrible, manager should be sacked, we're getting relegated.  If we win it doesn't count as it's only a pre season friendly. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

That was a typo mate sorry, meant to write starting 

😀

Now, starting 11 is tough but I think SG will admit that too. That is on the back of a good pre season and a number of players are staking a claim for the first team e.g. Bailey, Emi2, Sanson, Chambers, Archer and to a lesser extent Tim & KKH. These are the sort of high class problems I like us to have, for years we were scraping the bottom of the barrel to find players good enough for our starting 11. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not for me, last seasons issues are still there.  

Carlos and Kamara look great.  

Midfield still has weakness and in open play we have no cohesion going forwards and with the talent we have it’s baffling.  

I think apart from adding two new quality players, that’s it.  

The play/cohesion/style and tactics look as problematic as last season.

But we’re winning games, we’ve got three good looking signings, we have rediscovered Bailey as a threat and we’ve managed to get multiple match minutes in every single player in the squad. Isn’t that what preseason us about?

what exactly are you expecting? Winning every game 5-0 and looking like 70’s Brazil? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

But we’re winning games, we’ve got three good looking signings, we have rediscovered Bailey as a threat and we’ve managed to get multiple match minutes in every single player in the squad. Isn’t that what preseason us about?

what exactly are you expecting? Winning every game 5-0 and looking like 70’s Brazil? 

you left out the 'and signing Tammy'

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Funny that if we lose it's oh my god, everything terrible, manager should be sacked, we're getting relegated.  If we win it doesn't count as it's only a pre season friendly. 

I think you can pretty much apply the same win, lose or draw, friendly or FA Cup Final. 

6 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Did I mention once results? No.  
Did I mention once looking like a fabulous Brazilian team? No.

I put forward my reasons but you decided to add others to try and make it something different.  

We look to have defensive frailty, we have weakness in midfield and we have a lack of cohesion as an attacking force…it’s still the same.  We seem to be relying on individual talent doing things than playing as a team, having cohesion as a team and a way of playing.

You don’t agree but that and the inconsistency, if continues, is going to make it a very long season and not the heights some are thinking and we will be fighting harder than we should with this squad to even achieve that 10th place position.

13 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

you left out the 'and signing Tammy'

Hadn’t even thought about him, but talking about strikers Watkins looks a shadow of himself, what the hell is going on with him!

Just now, nick76 said:

Hadn’t even thought about him, but talking about strikers Watkins looks a shadow of himself, what the hell is going on with him!

Watkins look awful, at Brentford he was a winger and had 1 good season as a striker. It is just not working out for him at the moment, maybe Critchley is changing his training but something ain't working and Ings has to be ahead of him. Maybe we need a good striker coach? We missed the opportunity to finally sign Benni McCarthy, I see Man Utd gave him a job today as a coach.

16 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Nailed it. It’s about time we showed ambition. If we can’t match these simple ambitions NSWE need to be replaced before they do any real damage to the club. Like not incorporating a theme park into the new North Stand. Buck up or ship out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

So in 5 preseason games we have scored 10 goals and conceded 3. 11-3 if you count in the behind closed doors game at Fulham.

Are you absolutely sure these frailties are not just in your imagination?

Maybe, I guess we’ll see when the competitive action starts. I hope I’m wrong but it’s what I’m seeing when watching the games.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm curious. You do remember the kind of posts you made throughout Dean Smiths time as manager right?

You're literally having a pop at people for doing exactly what you did with the last manager. Actually I don't even think those you're responding to are even half as negative as you were to the last guy. 

So given you were like that, can you not understand how others may feel the same towards Gerrard?

Rubbish. I wasn’t keen on Smith granted, but I never wanted us to lose and I didn’t post anywhere near the amount of hyperbole being aimed at Gerrard. 

My main criticism of Smith was how we played when Jack wasn’t in the team and how he looked bereft of ideas when things weren’t going well. When we did play well I praised him and asked for more of the same.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, jim said:

Rubbish. I wasn’t keen on Smith granted, but I never wanted us to lose and I didn’t post anywhere near the amount of hyperbole being aimed at Gerrard. 

My main criticism of Smith was how we played when Jack wasn’t in the team and how he looked bereft of ideas when things weren’t going well. When we did play well I praised him and asked for more of the same.

And are you happy with every performance under Gerrard?

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Funny that if we lose "it's only a friendly, don't get carried away". If we win "we played fantastic, we are looking good for a European place". 😂

Its even funnier that I haven't seen one comment which says we played fantastic or that we are good for a European place. 

• Like 1

Â