Rennes a July 30th 18:00 CET

2 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

I’m really staggered by that mate . McGinn in my opinion dose a great job in the villa midfield, totally seems to go under the radar his work rate and hassle he provides. I’m glad SG our manager and a good midfielder in his time makes the calls . 

I don’t, I think he is a bit clunky and a liability. The highlights are very very few and far between. Over the last two outings Sanson offers more and frankly was bought with better stats at the time to McGinn. I just think there is a much better option out there to McGinn, and when he arrives or is given a chance we will be better for it. Happy for McGinn to stay in the 25, but we need better contributions over 90mins 

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

So in summary, this thread suggests we are shit, we can't play out from the back, our midfield is crap and are strikers can't score. Oh, and we have the wrong manager and captain.

I guess beating one of the better teams from Ligue 1 on their turf is a confusing result for many

Nah, it was just a friendly.

Mate.

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

So in summary, this thread suggests we are shit, we can't play out from the back, our midfield is crap and are strikers can't score. Oh, and we have the wrong manager and captain.

I guess beating one of the better teams from Ligue 1 on their turf is a confusing result for many

Winning is a good habit, even better to get a result when you are not playing well. 

Despite us fans not being happy due to the lack of coherence or progression, we are harder to beat. Our squad is strong and that augers well this season with the subs changes.

• Like 1

how can you be happy that we won?

how can you be happy that our preseason was great?

how can you be happy that our youngsters look solid? 

how how i ask you when gerrard has no clue and mcginn is eating puppies for dinner!!!!!!!!

reeeeeeeeee

Edited by Tumblerseven
meh
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've just watched the full 94 minutes on Villa TV and really enjoyed a positive Villa performance against one of the top four French teams.

I was going to post about the excellent work from a number of players along with a couple of concerns that I still have, but have realised that I would be wasting my time.

The match day thread is in danger becoming a therapy group for angry depressives.

I missed the game so I’d like to hear your thoughts FWIW. 

Also I normally enjoy the match day thread like the plague. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

I’m really staggered by that mate . McGinn in my opinion dose a great job in the villa midfield, totally seems to go under the radar his work rate and hassle he provides. I’m glad SG our manager and a good midfielder in his time makes the calls . 

It’s the inconsistency that’s the problem. I guess you could say that about a lot of players last season.

His effort can’t be questioned, but that only does so much. I’d rather we played him as a CAM.

18 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

One for him to savour once he gets sacked at Christmas!

I can't see him getting sacked at Christmas to be honest. It would be daft to sack the manager about 7 weeks after our last league game before the world cup break. If he is to be sacked I hope we do it before Pochettino gets a new job

Just now, villabromsgrove said:

The match day thread is in danger becoming a therapy group for angry depressives.

I saw the second half, and followed the comments ... I thought it was more a place to become an angry depressive and wind up hopeless optimists. 

What I saw was:

1. A preseason friendly
  2. Rennes slightly more aggressive press, ours was lackadaisical
  3. We were a bit more "dirty" considering it was a friendly
  4. Rennes tried harder, I thought, but not much
  5. Villa were the better team
  6. Our subs were definitely better than Rennes'
  7. Nice goal from Diego / Young assist ... A well worked set piece
  8. Surprised by Young, he was good considering, he hasn't been last part of the season.

• Like 1

Decent game although trying too hard to play it out with mcginn there doesn't work and ends us getting caught out.

Looked far better playing it out and retaining possession when he went off.

Only watkins was poor for me today everyone else did most things right

Roll on Bournemouth 

3 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I take it you watched the game?

When I remembered Watkins was shit I stopped at watching. But it’s a win and, by all accounts, changes were made that improved us.

Let’s see what we manage against Bournemouth before we start writing everything off.

Pre-season is very different to a competitive match.

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I can't see him getting sacked at Christmas to be honest. It would be daft to sack the manager about 7 weeks after our last league game before the world cup break. If he is to be sacked I hope we do it before Pochettino gets a new job

Good point. Hope Purslow has those dates marked in his diary.

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

When I remembered Watkins was shit I stopped at watching. But it’s a win and, by all accounts, changes were made that improved us.

Let’s see what we manage against Bournemouth before we start writing everything off.

Pre-season is very different to a competitive match.

I dont Think the Rennes keeper made a save, Rennes goalscorer should have had a hat trick he is a Centre back and Martinez made a good save late on

No flow of play and very little quality except Bailey and Carlos

Â