Rennes a July 30th 18:00 CET

Just now, briny_ear said:

Good point. Hope Purslow has those dates marked in his diary.

I am supportive of Gerrard, just as I was of Smith. I love neither nor loathe either. I just want to see Villa win stuff and compete at the highest level. I also am happy to give Gerrard a decent crack of the whip of getting us there. However, if I was Purslow I would have a word with Pochettino and I would offer him whatever he wanted, if he agree to join us I would sack Gerrard immediately and get Poch in as manager

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am supportive of Gerrard, just as I was of Smith. I love neither nor loathe either. I just want to see Villa win stuff and compete at the highest level. I also am happy to give Gerrard a decent crack of the whip of getting us there. However, if I was Purslow I would have a word with Pochettino and I would offer him whatever he wanted, if he agree to join us I would sack Gerrard immediately and get Poch in as manager

it would be harsh to sack Gerrard. But I would take Poch in a heartbeat..

Just now, foreveryoung said:

it would be harsh to sack Gerrard. But I would take Poch in a heartbeat..

Yes it would be very very harsh. But I am a huge fan of Poch and I just think he would be absolutely perfect for Villa and our 'project'. These type of managers don't often become available and I would love to see us exploit his current employment status

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’ve no idea what the score was and came in here to find out. Obviously from the few posts I’ve read we got stuffed. What was the actual score?

We won 2-1

• Thanks 1

This thread makes for terrible reading and has me concerned that Gerrard's preferred players don't seem to be the ones that should be starting.

But we won against a team that's in Europe this season,  on their patch,  with a team half full of youth players.

If Gerrard keeps winning when we don't look great,  I'll happily take it. But I'm concerned our luck won't hang around when the season starts next week. Let's see I guess. 

They say that golf isn't a game of perfect. And the same applies to football. Not every player will play a 10/10 game because they are human and humans make mistakes, errors of judgement, lapses in concentration, communication breakdowns etc.

What makes football and other team games great is that you can win without being perfect and that's what villa have done all pre season and hopefully can carry into the new season proper. Finding a way to win, grinding out a result, digging out a teammates mistake or poor performance is what makes a successful team without the need for perfect players putting in perfect performances. 

Apart from Carlos. He is perfect

• Like 2

Decent performance against a decent team I thought.

We could / should have scored one or two more, they could say the same.

Looked a bit ropey defending set pieces and crosses into the box without Mings’ magnet head but Carlos (aside from the occasional diving in) looks a real player.

Bailey played well, Kamara did okay save for a couple of times getting caught in possession, Feeney and Iroegbanum caught the eye later on, Feeney in particular showing some real class way beyond his years on the ball.

Konsa may have picked up a knock I think (may have been that early challenge he received) but aside from that it looks like we’ve come through pre season unscathed and undefeated, winning 4 and drawing 1.

Very much looking forward to next weekend! 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Funny that if we lose "it's only a friendly, don't get carried away". If we win "we played fantastic, we are looking good for a European place". 😂

Said nobody.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

Hahah, the summary of the comments and observations makes very grim reading: we are shit, Gerrard to be sacked before Christmas, we will be relegated.

Just another match thread when we aren't smashing the opposition of the pitch😔

29 minutes ago, Xela said:

Lost 7-0 mate

Gerrard punched Buendia and Coutinho continues to be picked despite having his leg bitten off by a snapping turtle, while having a dip in the river vilaine earlier. 

This season is going to be a disaster. 

That’s what I thought after reading the first few posts. Looks pretty grim, we’d better get the Fat Sam thread warmed up and fully loaded. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Decent performance against a decent team I thought.

We could / should have scored one or two more, they could say the same.

Looked a bit ropey defending set pieces and crosses into the box without Mings’ magnet head but Carlos (aside from the occasional diving in) looks a real player.

Bailey played well, Kamara did okay save for a couple of times getting caught in possession, Feeney and Iroegbanum caught the eye later on, Feeney in particular showing some real class way beyond his years on the ball.

Konsa may have picked up a knock I think (may have been that early challenge he received) but aside from that it looks like we’ve come through pre season unscathed and undefeated, winning 4 and drawing 1.

Very much looking forward to next weekend! 

At first I thought you hadn’t watched the same game as some of the other posters. Then I realised that I hadn’t applied the standard VT weighting or used the Gerrard out algorithm. Schoolboy error on my part. 

Â