James Tarkowski

HalfTimePost

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

This is what I was thinking, Burnley are pretty good defensively for a team that doesn't score many goals and has a poor midfield. Tarkowski has been at the heart of that defence for the last few years. On a free there doesnt appear too much downside to it.

Except he will probably want a 4/5 year contract on 120k a week. That is the downside, 

Also Burnley dont concede because they hardly play football, its just like Stoke and Shawcross never got a big move from them with similar performances

21 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

But you can't have a team of 22-25 promising players. Tarkowski on a free to replace Hause is good business IMO, and leaves funds for other players to come in. 

The fact we've signed Kamara shows we're not just looking at older players. 

FWIW, composure and experience at CB is just fine by me, and hopefully alleviates some of the pressure on Mings.

Well- is it? Hause is happy to be back up, and is paid back up wages. Tarwoski will want to start most games which means either one of Konsa or Mings will be sold, or played less.

We have a finite budget and salary structure and I would ask would this be perhaps be better spent in other areas of the pitch such as adding some width in midfield.

49 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I still maintain having him for 4-5 years is crazy. He will be 34 years old by then. No thanks if thats his demands. Mings is almost 30 too.  We need to be looking at building a team for the future not having aging squad. Digne is also 29. 

Id artehe go for one in their mid twenties with their best years agrad of them

But you prefer Diego Carlos to him? Diego Carlos is also 29 🤪

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Except he will probably want a 4/5 year contract on 120k a week. That is the downside, 

Also Burnley dont concede because they hardly play football, its just like Stoke and Shawcross never got a big move from them with similar performances

I was going to write that but I personally dont understand the financial side of things, or atleast the detail of wages in relation to ffp, so would hope/presume people at the club know what they're doing.

I mean surely we've doubled our wage bill in the last two or three years?

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I get that, but you equally can't have a team of 29-30 year olds.  If we sign a 29 year old defender, weather it's Tarkowski or Carlos, we need to sign a 22-23 year old preferably Lacroix or Botman to keep the balance.

Yes, all of this. Not forgetting we’ve got Kerr,  Feeney, Bogarde and Swinkels coming through, so hopefully at least one will be good enough to claim a place in 2-4 years. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well- is it? Hause is happy to be back up, and is paid back up wages. Tarwoski will want to start most games which means either one of Konsa or Mings will be sold, or played less.

We have a finite budget and salary structure and I would ask would this be perhaps be better spent in other areas of the pitch such as adding some width in midfield.

Hause will still be on 40 - 50k per week and, having signed a new contract, could raise a few million quid in transfer fees.

Konsa is injured and has been out of sorts, leaving just Mings and Chambers at starting CB options - hence seeing Feeney on our bench in recent games.

Mings and Konsa, with both Chambers and Tarkowski for no transfer fee and and few million coming in from Hause seems a no brainer.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Hause will still be on 40 - 50k per week and, having signed a new contract, could raise a few million quid in transfer fees.

Konsa is injured and has been out of sorts, leaving just Mings and Chambers at starting CB options - hence seeing Feeney on our bench in recent games.

Mings and Konsa, with both Chambers and Tarkowski for no transfer fee and and few million coming in from Hause seems a no brainer.

That's it for me too. Its incrementally improving the quality. Tarkowski and Chambers is much better cover than Tuanzebe and Hause. And I'd be far happier with Chambers and Tarkowski starting games.

Just now, turvontour said:

That's it for me too. Its incrementally improving the quality. Tarkowski and Chambers is much better cover than Tuanzebe and Hause. And I'd be far happier with Chambers and Tarkowski starting games.

We aren't signing Tarkowski on £120k a week as cover, that's the same money as Coutinho.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

The downside is it may not solve our problems with playing from the back and resisting press. Solid defending can keep you in the league and maybe finish top half, but I've got the impression Gerrard has higher ambitions.

22 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We aren't signing Tarkowski on £120k a week as cover, that's the same money as Coutinho.

Agreed.

He will be in the team starting every game, zero doubt.

If he signs...

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Well we have so far spent 17m of our summer transfer budget, there would be significant funds you would think given we were rumoured to be looking to spend 150m+ after sales this summer. 

I don't think it's stupid to target a younger CB and pay a bigger fee and the wages, because that player would have resale value. If we were to offer Tarkowski a 5-year contract on those wages we would not be able to shift him if he declines to the extent that he's an expensive benchwarmer. If the club can afford to do it without getting into financial difficulties then fine, it's not my money, but I'd be very sceptical it wouldn't hurt us somewhere down the line.

I remember under O'Neill we made similar transfers like these, and we massively suffered the consequences afterwards (e.g. Richard Dunne who was on ridiculous wages and who had one good first season with us then turned into an absolute liability). I don't think these owners are likely to lose interest like Lerner, but you don't know what can happen in future and the extent of our decline 12 years ago still gives me nightmares. 

I might be wrong and Tarkowski could turn out to be a masterstroke of a signing, but I was hoping we'd go for a CB that significantly improves us and I don't think he does that. Therefore, I hope Everton or Newcastle throw silly wages at him instead of us. 

I don't know why we can't do both?

I love Mings, but he is far from perfect. Chambers has done fine; Konsa has gone backwards this season, and Hause is either injured or a permanent sub. We need better in the CB position, and Tarkowski is that. Not perfect but better.
And in Hause (perhaps as high as £10m), Konsa (once recovered - £20m?) and perhaps Mings (£25m? £30m?) - we have players who we could sell on for the decent fees I've indicated. And remember - the fees being commanded and mad right now - so why can't they be a bit mad for our players? 

We also have 3x lads in the U23s who the club have high hopes for, so it's important.

Free transfers are brilliant when building a squad. Chambers came in, contributed well and gives us options. For nothing other than the wages Tuanzebe was on (there abouts). 

10 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

120k a week for Tarkowski? Have we reappointed O'Neill? He's a decent centre back, but that is absolute insanity if true.

If we had to pay Burnley a fee he would be on a lower wage. Free signings are always going to be on an inflated wage.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

£120k a week is about £6m a year. For four years that’s £24m all in - or about the same as a £12m transfer fee with £60k wages, which seems about right to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would be a good signing and improves our starting 11, we would have to spend 30m+ and wages on top for similar quality.

Tarkowski has proven himself in the pl, albeit in a defensive anti-football side but he can play and adds know-how and steel to the team.

We can't have a team of 22 year olds with potential re-sale. Look at the age of most of Liverpool's core team

Henderson, Matip, Van Dijk, Mane, Thiago, firminho are all 30+ 

Salah, Robertson, Firminho are all 28/29 too.

We need balance and experience, Mings has been excellent for us, however he's still relatively inexperienced despite his age. Our core still consists of the same players that struggled in our first season back in the pl and hasn't improved enough to take us to the next level.

Coutinho, Digne, hopefully Kamara and 2/3 other proven quality players move us on levels.

Not every signing needs to be a potential superstar.

13 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Would be a good signing and improves our starting 11, we would have to spend 30m+ and wages on top for similar quality.

Tarkowski has proven himself in the pl, albeit in a defensive anti-football side but he can play and adds know-how and steel to the team.

We can't have a team of 22 year olds with potential re-sale. Look at the age of most of Liverpool's core team

Henderson, Matip, Van Dijk, Mane, Thiago, firminho are all 30+ 

Salah, Robertson, Firminho are all 28/29 too.

We need balance and experience, Mings has been excellent for us, however he's still relatively inexperienced despite his age. Our core still consists of the same players that struggled in our first season back in the pl and hasn't improved enough to take us to the next level.

Coutinho, Digne, hopefully Kamara and 2/3 other proven quality players move us on levels.

Not every signing needs to be a potential superstar.

Yes, they are in their late 20s/early 30s now, but they weren't when they signed.  Henderson was 20 when he joined Liverpool.

Just now, duke313 said:

Yes, they are in their late 20s/early 30s now, but they weren't when they signed.  Henderson was 20 when he joined Liverpool.

But they're performing at their peak at these ages and we can't sign players with the potential to improve, the club will demand success quickly and the easiest way to do that is to buy proven quality.

6 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

But they're performing at their peak at these ages and we can't sign players with the potential to improve, the club will demand success quickly and the easiest way to do that is to buy proven quality.

They've been performing at a high level for the past few years, they were still signed in their mid 20s and Liverpool have reaped the rewards of having them during their mid 20s into their prime years.

The average age of a PL footballer is 27, we need some older heads but the bulk of the team should be 23-26 years olds

Edited by duke313

Â