James Tarkowski

HalfTimePost

Played 30 + games each of the last 5 seasons in the prem. So very robust. Plus Whoscored rating has been an average of 7.1 across the last 5 years. So has consistency . 

Robust consistent and hard as nails.  Will do for me thank you 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Tarkowski was the best ball playing CB in the Championship at Brentford, which is why everyone was shocked to see him go to Burnley where he seemed like he would be wasted in Dyche's tactical system.  He's much better on the ball than people realize and, IMO, a better defender than Mings (who I also rate).  He'll be our #1 CB.

Even with that being the case he's still a bit of an unknown in that regard at this level, it was quite a while ago and in the Championship as well. We signed Konsa from the same side where he was described as being a ball-playing CB and it's subsequently looked his biggest failing in the Premier Leagie to the point where it's a contributing factor to him potentially being replaced now. Granted he's obviously a better pure footballer than Burnley's system allows him to show, but who knows to what extent.

Regardless, would be pleased enough with this even if it's a tad unfashionable. Personally don't think his ceiling is much higher than mid-table-ish but he'd aid Villa in actually attempting to cement that themselves for a start and would be a dependable improvement on Konsa/Chambers.

13 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Tarkowski was the best ball playing CB in the Championship at Brentford, which is why everyone was shocked to see him go to Burnley where he seemed like he would be wasted in Dyche's tactical system.  He's much better on the ball than people realize and, IMO, a better defender than Mings (who I also rate).  He'll be our #1 CB.

Didn't people say similar about Konsa when he was at Brentford 

2 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

120k a week for Tarkowski? Have we reappointed O'Neill? He's a decent centre back, but that is absolute insanity if true.

If its a 5 year contract its madness, the sort of thing i expected from Gerrards management

Newcastle gave Trippier and Wood 2.5 years and I hope we are doing similar if true 

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If its a 5 year contract its madness, the sort of thing i expected from Gerrards management

Newcastle gave Trippier and Wood 2.5 years and I hope we are doing similar if true 

I'd give him 3

39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The difference being, not having to pay a fee and signing on bonus. They can't compare. 

Suspect these long deals will help with FFP and any struggling to keep up with the Prem can be transfered to the Las Vegas link-up. 

Also, Tarkowski at CB isn't up and 6 down the line like Trippier has to. As for Wood, I'm convinced Newcastle did that just to weaken a rival rather than any plan for the player over the next few years. 

Cb's age well and Tarkowski is around his prime years and with no fee. 

If he signed for 5 years, that'll be a people running the club side of things deciding that. Not Gerrard. 

I'm pretty sure I recall reading that he said he has no bearing on fees or contracts. 

Have at the criticism again though. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Tarkowski finished in the 77th percentile among Premier League CBs in winning aerial battles. Mings finished in the 56th percentile. Kamara was 68th percentile of all midfielders in the top five leagues. Ezri Konsa was in the 20th percentile.

For a team that tries to pack the middle and force opponents outside, being able to clear crosses is a key tenet of the defense. Tarkowski is a better passer than his numbers show because of the way Burnley played, but with Kamara in the side, it alleviates some of the need for him to be great.

It's his ability in the air and everything else he does as a defender that will make him an invaluable part of this team. I'm all for it if it happens.

Sorry, but I don't get those stats.....

Are you saying 23% of centre backs in the league are better in the air than Tarkowski?

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Sorry, but I don't get those stats.....

Are you saying 23% of centre backs in the league are better in the air than Tarkowski?

23% of Premier League CBs won a greater share of their aerial duels than Tarkowski. Of course, what that doesn't say is how many of those duels they were in. Tarkowski was in plenty playing for Burnley. For raw aerial duels won, his 4.97 duels won per match was in the 97th percentile.

Long story short, he's good in the air, and we need improvements there. Tarkowski and Kamara are clear upgrades over Konsa and Luiz/Nakamba in that area.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

120K a week he needs to be a damn sight better than decent in the air in a relegated team.

200.gif&f=1&nofb=1

I brought up the aerial aspect because it's an important part of the way we defend considering our shape. Rest assured he's good at other things too. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 8.13.16 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 8.13.28 PM.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont mind the 120k wagss but anything more than a 3 year contract is madness

Why would he sign for us on a 3yr deal when he might be able to get 4 or 5 somewhere else? 

Unless the signing on bonus is huge, I can’t see him wanting anything less than a 4yr deal at his age, and rightly so tbh. This is his big pay day and he’s using it to set his family up for the rest of their lives. 

If we sign him, I imagine it will cost us around £25m over 4 years (£125k a week) which isn’t bad at all considering you’d need to spend £30m on a transfer fee alone to bring in someone as good. And even then you’re gambling if it’s a player from abroad. 

Tarkowski will improve us a lot defensively and by all accounts, is decent with the ball at his feet. He’s a leader and he slots straight in without any time needed to get up to speed. 

There is a lot to like about this deal. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

120k a week for Tarkowski? Have we reappointed O'Neill? He's a decent centre back, but that is absolute insanity if true.

It's insane. So many people on here seem delighted by this, I'm not sure if some people have lost their marbles.

If reports are true, even Everton, who have been run appallingly over the years, are only willing to pay him 90K a week which should tell us everything.

I really worry for this club if we're willing to pay James effing Tarkowski 120K a week in wages, he's simply not worth anywhere near that. 

I genuinely have no idea how good Tarkowski is these days, I barely see his name mentioned. I don't even know if he's still rated by Burnley supporters. 

Good or not though offering him a deal worth £120k a week gives me flashbacks to a previous era. I've mentioned previously how I feel we can't keep spending like we do and this does concern me slightly. 

5 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I genuinely have no idea how good Tarkowski is these days, I barely see his name mentioned. I don't even know if he's still rated by Burnley supporters. 

Good or not though offering him a deal worth £120k a week gives me flashbacks to a previous era. I've mentioned previously how I feel we can't keep spending like we do and this does concern me slightly. 

I was on the Burnley forum while the relegation battle was raging. The general consensus was that he's a player that'll still be talked about 20 or 30 years from now and they love him so much that they don't begrudge him leaving at all.

They also think Ben Mee should play for England so do what you will with that information.

• Haha 1

Â