• Ings
    • Watkins
    • Chukwuemeka (Chambers 69)
    • Young (Ings 74)
    • Coutinho (Buendía 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/22 at 18:00

Was a good result but first half was a lot of defensive issues mainly from Konsa. A more confident team for example would have took advantage, McNeil had a great chance and Weghorst had a half chance

Great to see finally see Buendia trusted in the positive

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Enda said:

Ah so ye’re the lads who leave after 85 minutes to get the train.

Oops! No, but I admit that I sometimes start typing comments before the final whistle...

• Like 1

I see a certain Villa legend knew yesterday's result was already written in the stars, when he said on Twitter before the game:):

"Burnley v Aston Villa Fc , we could do with three points lads , getting in the mood for next year . Three one to the Villa. Relax Enjoy Result. # Muchlove . X."

image.jpeg.75dd0ecbefa5ba32e7271849a1b77eb1.jpeg

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

As an individual performance, he didn't do much of note, you'd struggle to make a highlight video of it, it was probably a 6.

But his positioning and his presence added 2 to John McGinn and 2 to Douglas Luiz.

yep can't disagree here. i thought he was great. for a free transfer we have done well here

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John said:

I see a certain Villa legend knew yesterday's result was already written in the stars, when he said on Twitter before the game:):

"Burnley v Aston Villa Fc , we could do with three points lads , getting in the mood for next year . Three one to the Villa. Relax Enjoy Result. # Muchlove . X."

God knows! We’re not surprised! 

• Like 1

i think that was a highly underrated result, Burnley were on a run of 4 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss in their last 6 games.

I could go on about the lovely goals and some lovely play, but honestly, what impressed me most was how we fought, battled and pressed for every inch of the pitch, was great to see, historically our achilles heel but it was clear to see the fight in this match.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, John said:

Nice of God to help us out, but maybe he could pull his finger out more often

15 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Don't you think @TRO it was all about work rate today. I haven't seen the team perform that well and with that intensity for a while, they never stopped running.

Funny they all give 100% and we look 100% better.

As you know, workrate is a huge feature with me, and its OFF the ball work that sometimes gets unnoticed.

Its many things that combine for good performances, but I think Chambers at CDM gave us more balance....He wasn't great individually, but he gave a platform for Luiz and McGinn and Buendia.....I thought the balance was better.

Looking forward to get a top class one.

15 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Don't you think @TRO it was all about work rate today. I haven't seen the team perform that well and with that intensity for a while, they never stopped running.

Funny they all give 100% and we look 100% better.

That was impressive yes.

I noted in my post, I noticed they were chasing everything down till the very end.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That was impressive yes.

I noted in my post, I noticed they were chasing everything down till the very end.

What you get when Buendia starts as he has an infectious work rate. I dont think Coutinho has this in his game or he has lost a bit

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

As you know, workrate is a huge feature with me, and its OFF the ball work that sometimes gets unnoticed.

Its many things that combine for good performances, but I think Chambers at CDM gave us more balance....He wasn't great individually, but he gave a platform for Luiz and McGinn and Buendia.....I thought the balance was better.

Looking forward to get a top class one.

Yes it just shows that with a solid CDM it allows Luiz and McGinn to play futher forward and the front three to have more impact. Its not that much thats wrong at Villa 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

What you get when Buendia starts as he has an infectious work rate. I dont think Coutinho has this in his game or he has lost a bit

I agree but I bet Coutinho comes back in for him tuesday. 

Was at the game in the home end. It was a very good result although we do still keep making poor mistakes at the back. Konsa especially guilty of it. A few times they could easily have scored nearly all of those chances due to stupid, lax defending.

Some very good play on occasion from us though and decent game management once ahead with a lot of time wasting / game killing dark arts going on. That was extremely annoying to the home crowd but then we all know how that feels (Don't we Brentford & co!)

Side Note; If Ollie Watkins could learn how to spot a pass he would be a much better player. He was such a handful to the Burnley defence but had numerous opportunities to play someone in and each time wasted it. Good goal though and good pressing.

Good result and shows that with a bit of tinkering we could be possibly a top 10 side next season. Chambers is proving his worth and is looking like a solid squad player. If we can get close to 50 points I think that would be an acceptable season given the amount of changes that we have had to deal with, both on and off the pitch.

Very good away performance and well executed tactical plan with an astute change at 2-0 to possess the ball more (we had been playing direct/long balls prior).  Bringing Young on made perfect sense as he understands game management and has the technical ability to keep the ball.  Up to that point, Chambers had done a decent job despite looking quite rusty, which is understandable considering he hasn't played in midfield for three seasons.  Buendia was excellent, and it gives the staff a nice problem now, as it seems it's a bit of either/or with him and Coutinho rather than both together (which hasn't worked so far).  Konsa was poor, BUT, on the two big chances that Burnley had, including the goal, Mings has to share some of the blame in both instances.  On the O'Neill chance in the first half he came racing out after the ball and then just stood there in no-mans land as Konsa regained it then subsequently lost it again.  For the goal he was napping ten yards back as Burnley were playing it forward, keeping everyone onside.  If Konsa had known Mings was so deep he surely would have dropped off himself. If Mings had stayed deep, instead of a last ditch attempt to push up level then he'd have been in position to cut out the run on goal.  

Is this the formation we were effectively playing?

Ings   Watkins

Buendia 

McGinn           Luiz 

Digne      Chambers      Cash

Mings           Konsa

Martinez

Â