• Ings
    • Watkins
    • Chukwuemeka (Chambers 69)
    • Young (Ings 74)
    • Coutinho (Buendía 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/22 at 18:00

Well managed away win against a potential banana skin.

Absorbed the pressure and clinical on the counter in the first half, dominate and controlled the game in the second.

If only konsa hadn't switched off 2 minutes early we would have had a clean sheet as well

• Like 1

I still cannot get my head round how Watford (relegated) managed to do the double over us.

6 points thrown away. 

Anyway a great result today, shame the "thugs" got a consolation goal at the end.....

Regards to all

Derek

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They'd beaten Southampton, Wolves and taken a point from West Ham in the last 4 games (plus a win against Watford, which we seem incapable of). You'd certainly look at the table and think we should be getting something from it, but they were in much better form than we were, and fighting for survival, whereas we had people saying our season was over and we were on the beach.

It's not a result that "should shut a few up" as Bruce would put it, but it's a good win in the circumstances.

You'd imagine Wolves and West Ham were a bit annoyed about losing to them, but if I'm being honest I think we have a better overall squad than both of those teams. Southampton aren't up to much IMO.  

9 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Not really - we've starting looking better recently but let's not pretend that we're doing as well as we could or perhaps should be. We need to finish strongly and if we can beat Palace and Burnley while battling encouragingly against Liverpool and Citeh, that'll do. 

A good honest view that I agree with

• Thanks 1

I really enjoyed that one. Buendia is quality, I want to see more of him in the remaining games and next season. Watkins worked hard and got a deserved goal, nice cross from McGinn for that. Good to see Chukwuemeka come on and show some skillz, I thought he looked dangerous and moved the ball quickly. 
Shame we conceded at the end, luckily it didn’t matter. 

Overall it was a very good performance, we were in control for the majority of it and it should give us some confidence going into the Liverpool game. 

• Like 2

Great to see the Ings/Watkins combo maybe finally start to click; and good to see Buendia have such an influential game.

So annoyed we conceded. There is still a carelessness in our defending that always puts us at risk.

I reckon with a fair wind we can make the top half. Need to beat Palace and Burnley (again) and hope matches for teams below us go as expected.

EDIT -  of course, bleeding Brighton bleeding well beating Man U  4-0 wasn’t part of my calculation above.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

My stream was a bit hit and miss so didn't really get a chance to see the whole 90mins but were pretty comfortable. Burnley had more of the ball than I expected but never really caused us any problems, much like Norwich a week ago. 

MOTM was an easy one with all good things coming through Buendia. I thought Chuk looked composed and kept it simple. 

Chambers was good in DM so he's most def an option. I do wonder what's happened to Konsa, is there some personal issue or is he just lacking confidence?

Again, I like the front two. Both on the scoresheet, I'll take that! 

Now onto the Champions League finalist, FA cup finalist and League Cup winners - no big deal!! 

That last goal was massive. Now they only need to beat us by 2 goals, win their other 2 matches by 1 goal, we lose by 2 to Palace and by 5 each to Man City and Liverpool, then a load of other improbable results, and we are down 😬 worrying times @bickster

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

That last goal was massive. Now they only need to beat us by 2 goals, win their other 2 matches by 1 goal, we lose by 2 to Palace and by 5 each to Man City and Liverpool, then a load of other improbable results, and we are down 😬 worrying times @bickster

Not convinced ;)

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Agree with this but we also shouldn't go overboard as this is a game that we should very much have won tbf. 

I think you are right to suggest we don't go overboard, but....

They are fighting for their lives and on the back of 3 wins,  we are midtable and semi safe....that was set up for a banana skin.

I thought there was some good things from us today, despite the sloppy positioning to deny us the clean sheet.....The 3 moments leading to the 3 goals were class, as is usually the case, as we don't do many tap ins......but the game management was a step up imo.

Turf Moor, is not an easy place to go, when they are facing relegation.....I thought some of our work was professional like, today.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Interestingly we're now level on points with Newcastle (but above them due to a much superior GD) with a game in hand.

I can hear sticks being thrown on the ground as I type.

Good professional performance.

Definitely a case of the right tools for the job. I was pretty sure it was not going to be a game for Coutinho and Ramsey's injury gave Stevie G the option of bringing both Buendia & Chambers in.

As we grow the squad, we should not be afraid to change our lineup and formation accordingly. Chambers helped solidify the core of the team allowing Douglas & SJM to give Buendia a good platform to pull the strings.

Ings is a clever player and is now starting to help Ollie. Finally they are starting to form a partnership when previously, Ollie seemed to only look to pass to ings as a last resort, probably feeling that his place was under threat.

Good performances across the park, only Konsa looked out of sorts today. He will need to be a lot better on Tuesday night

Onwards. UTV

Edited by Lochheads twin
  • Like 1

Â