• Ings
    • Watkins
    • Chukwuemeka (Chambers 69)
    • Young (Ings 74)
    • Coutinho (Buendía 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/22 at 18:00

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Agree with this but we also shouldn't go overboard as this is a game that we should very much have won tbf. 

On paper we should be beating teams like Burnley but in reality we've beaten them away once in 26 games. It's a decent result for us today especially with that taken into consideration. 

Great win. Chambers looked good at DM and Luiz and McGinn had good games because he was there. Buendia MOTM, class again. Watkins and Ings linked up well. Martinez with some grade A sh*thou awry to wind up the Burnley fans, best thing about it being I don’t think he was actually wasting time.

Rubbish that we conceded late on (second time this season after Palace that I’ve had FPL clean sheet points ripped away from me!)

Great to see Coutinho with some warm positive words for Buendia as he came off too, showed some class there having been dropped for him.

You have to take context into consideration, today's game against Burnley wasn't like playing them in normal times, we had nothing to play for, they're fighting for their lives, and have just taken ten points from the last twelve so had been in very good form.

And it goes both ways, a lot of people praising us for beating Brighton twice this season given how well they've been doing recently, and it's of course very good, but when we beat them they were in the midst of a very bad run of form.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Ollie and Ings clicked and Emi looked great. We looked very composed today. Chambers was great today and I felt the subs made sense - really great to see us pushing more and more for goals. McGinn is a different player when an 8 too.

when he leaves that holding role, he does look a player again.......roll on next season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jim said:

Two people voted the manager  very poor, and poor 😂

Negative Nancy’s.

old habits die hard, for some.

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

When you see " poor " and " very poor " rating in the Managers performance poll, you just know... 😂

I'm quite pleased with that today.

I was worried as they have been in good form and tend to bully opposition into submission if you aren't strong.

SG got the formation and tactics spot on today IMO.

Massive credit must also go to the boys, they never stopped running until the final whistle, fought for everything even when the game was essentially " won ".

Buendia has certainly gone up a gear, has having his place " robbed " by a superstar actually encouraged him? I reckon training with Coutinhoa, as well as settling will have even helped.

I was also impressed by the fact that we seamlessly changed shapes and formations today and remained fluid as ever.

A DCM is essential to the way SG wants to play obviously, so I find it strange that we haven't tried Chambers in the role before, he played there for a whole season. Also props to him, proving to be a very good part of the squad for only 1.5 mill is it?

Liverpool next, let's hope SG can do what he's best at, costing them the title!

you just know, one of them was not the only one they got wrong....but hey ho!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Chambers made a difference. Positionally very good

I think it was just a taster.......Get a really good one in there and bingo, we will be off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Goddam you Villa. 

Had to take my Dad to Hospital for a 3.00 appointment. When I got him home I had to put up a light fitting for them then my Mum asked me to hang a mirror, all the while Villa are running riot.  The only bit I caught was getting in the car, put WM on and Burnley score :bang:

I'm off to read the match thread and pretend it's real time. 

Mom & Dad have to come first.

It just seemed today that a few things like Ollie /Danny.... and Emi.....just take a bit of time.

Thought Chambers at CDM offered a bit of balance too.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

It just seemed today that a few things like Ollie /Danny.... and Emi.....just take a bit of time.

Thought Chambers at CDM offered a bit of balance too.

Don't you think @TRO it was all about work rate today. I haven't seen the team perform that well and with that intensity for a while, they never stopped running.

Funny they all give 100% and we look 100% better.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

On a scale of 1-10, how did Chambers play as a DM?

It's something I've waited him to try for a while but I missed the game.

As an individual performance, he didn't do much of note, you'd struggle to make a highlight video of it, it was probably a 6.

But his positioning and his presence added 2 to John McGinn and 2 to Douglas Luiz.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

As an individual performance, he didn't do much of note, you'd struggle to make a highlight video of it, it was probably a 6.

But his positioning and his presence added 2 to John McGinn and 2 to Douglas Luiz.

Tbh, a DM performance of not much to note, when the team wins 3-1, is probably a good comment with regard to him doing his job well, i would guess.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I thought if you want a dm to be tidy on the ball, have good positioning and be awkward for opposition to start attacks I thought he was fairly effective 

• Like 1

Pretty happy with performance, largely controlled it, especially second half. Buendia needs to be the first name on the team sheet, has all the skill and all the industry. in The pass for Dings was perfection.

Douglas as an 8 was helpful too, just to have some composure centrally. As good as JJ can be, both he and McGinn (speaking of, want to see his left foot actually on the left side more) are strongly inclined to try to carry the ball forward themselves rather than keep moves going, Dougie definitely balances our play more. Good showing by Chambers (again), too.

For gripes, we're still too sloppy at times, throwing away the clean sheet to a nothing goal at the last minute is so frustrating. Also, subbing on Old Man Young yet again when you have a bench full of much younger guys who need the minutes and still fit the changes you want to make is annoying.

All in all, though, a comfortable win at a place where we've been poor regularly, so hopefully we can carry this upturn in form and positivity into the week and cause Liverpool some problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Don't you think @TRO it was all about work rate today. I haven't seen the team perform that well and with that intensity for a while, they never stopped running.

Funny they all give 100% and we look 100% better.

A big part of what looks to be “giving 100%” is usually being a well-drilled team and knowing what your teammates will do when - so to the point of Emi, Ings, Ollie etc taking time to gel, the two go hand in hand.

Â