Match Thread: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Fair play, I didn’t expect such a positive reaction to the early goal. We’ve been aggressive and played really well. A few poor touches from our strikers in the box have cost us. I’d love to see Buendia for Watkins, with Ings through the middle. 

In reality, Spurs will get another goal early second half and we’ll chasing the game again.  

Just now, PaulC said:

No justice in this game. Brilliant first half apart from the weak Konsa header to gift them the goal and the two misses by Ings. Coutinho brilliant. the midfield outstanding. 

It was weak but why were Luiz and McGinn standing still 5 metres further upfield than the Spurs players?  The ball came back off defenders twice and both times it fell to unmarked Spurs players.  But like you I can't understand how we are not winning this match.

Since the dire 1st 5 minutes we have players now realising they are playing for their places next season.

Can't help but feel if ings was playing every week at least one of those is going in.

We need a few less tippy tippy around the box and a bit more shooty shooty.

Cash has set us up with his tackle on Doherty, that's what has got us going.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I know Ings and Watkins haven't had the best of games but Coutinho seems do much more dangerous playing in the middle behind them.

Coutinho is the kind of player who needs the space to drift where he feels. Having Buendia alongside restricts his natural instincts and space he needs. 

Many positives to that half. We didn't sulk after the goal and dominated them the rest of the way. Crunching tackles, yelling at the ref, some very intricate passing and clever runs. Coutinhos little flicks are a delight. 

Let down by stupid defending early on and an inability to convert clear cut chances.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I wonder if it's disheartening for certain players, playing like this, and getting zero from it, due to other players not doing their part?

Maybe after a full game. There’s still a second half to go. Would be odd for them to become disheartened after just the first half. If anything it should fuel them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Plenty of effort - but little craft.

Notice the difference that spurs attack on 42 minutes from which they nearly scored looked effortless - every spurs play knew what they were doing.

Pretty sure we can grab a goal. But can we keep spurs out.?

have you morphed into villalad21!

• Haha 1