Match Thread: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Just now, nick76 said:

Can’t keep blaming Smith, Gerrard has 14 points in the last 14 games.

Gerrard hasn't had a chance to sign players to fix the gaps that Smith left in the team.  And Smith was the manager.  If he wasn't in charge of transfers then he should have been knocking down the doors of those in charge saying that our midfield wasn't strong enough and that we needed another central defender.  Pep and Klopp would struggle to get performances out of this squad.

Just now, allani said:

He has the same squad as Smith with the same problems.  We have a very weak spine.  Not sure that Pep or Klopp would do a hell of a lot when you have strikers missing three or four easy chances, a midfield that goes missing when under pressure and fails to track their runners and a defence that allows attackers too much space.

Gerrard’s job can’t all be about buying playing, he needs to be able coach players to get the best out of them.  I cant see after six months any improvement of the players that was here.  

Gerrard is obviously not Conte level but look at the difference Conte has made with Spurs with essentially the same players as under Nuno.

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

Gerrard’s job can’t all be about buying playing, he needs to be able coach players to get the best out of them.  I cant see after six months any improvement of the players that was here.  

Gerrard is obviously not Conte level but look at the difference Conte has made with Spurs with essentially the same players as under Nuno.

Exactly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's not his squad, so I can absolutely understand the mitigations. For me, the question is has he shown enough promise to rebuild the squad in his style?

He need to be able to coach and get the best out of players not just rely on buying players

• Like 2

Just now, allani said:

Gerrard hasn't had a chance to sign players to fix the gaps that Smith left in the team.  And Smith was the manager.  If he wasn't in charge of transfers then he should have been knocking down the doors of those in charge saying that our midfield wasn't strong enough and that we needed another central defender.  Pep and Klopp would struggle to get performances out of this squad.

I think that's nonsense. This midfield dug us out of a relegation rut, had us on the cusp of Europe with a strong defensive showing, they've not had a good season (part of Smith's issue was attempting to accommodate Ings), but to say that we're beyond redemption with good coaching is letting Gerrard get away with a suicidal setup for the team. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

But those were excellent players.

Emi aside, name me an excellent player in our squad whom Gerrard inherited from the last regime.

• Like 1