The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Bank of England said yesterday that they expect the October price cap to add another 40% to energy bills taking the average to £2800 a year. Then another rise is expected next January.  The average state pension is £8500 and a single persons universal credit is £4000. With food prices also predicted to continue to soar it means the poorest amongst us are either going to freeze, be starving or most likely both.  

It's easy to be flippant and parody the absurd "they should just get a better job", but we're talking about people's lives, and they couldn't give a shit.

I'd strongly advocate for people on the poverty line struggling to pick between did and heating to pick heating, and start shoplifting from supermarkets. Fortunately the police force have also been cut to the bone, and what is the worst case, they'll lock you up and give you three meals a day?

Country's gone to the dogs.

• Like 2

If I thought for a second the government were doing all they can then I’d cut them a sliver of slack.

I understand they can’t just keep printing money, especially after covid but they should be grabbing a few billion from energy company profits to cover some of these issues. Most of that money would find its way back to them anyway.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

If I thought for a second the government were doing all they can then I’d cut them a sliver of slack.

I understand they can’t just keep printing money, especially after covid but they should be grabbing a few billion from energy company profits to cover some of these issues. Most of that money would find its way back to them anyway.

Money isn't the issue here for the government and they certainly don't need to print it. They can take it from those with the deepest pockets who are swimming in it, be that either companies or individuals, and give it to those who have f all.

The issue here is ideological. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Something will give somewhere.

If I was a politician, I'd be very concerned about where.

Some of them are probably already rearranging their portfolios to invest in rope manufacturers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

That is what the government has been doing for years post credit crunch with quantitative easing.

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Do people think civil unrest and rioting could become an issue again.

Rioting is a good way to keep warm in all fairness.. 

Hey, maybe the Gov have thought about this after all! 

Roll Safe, the Guy-Tapping-Head Meme, Explained

Edited by lapal_fan

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Rioting is a good way to keep warm in all fairness.. 

Hey, maybe the Gov have thought about this after all! 

Roll Safe, the Guy-Tapping-Head Meme, Explained

People can get enough water to last for months from the water cannons as well.

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

People can get enough water to last for months from the water cannons as well.

Ah that reminds me of the 3 water cannons that Johnson bought as Mayor of London for £300,000 and the then Home Secretary Treeza May refused to authorise the use of Water Cannon by any Force in England and Wales

But anyway, there'll be no water cannons... oh SHIT, Priti Patel is the Home Secretary... shhhhh!

• 5 weeks later...

The prepaid card account I have (Monese) seem to be doing this once a month, basically free money.

Get 20% off at Asda, Uber, John Lewis, Sainsbury's and more!

Gift cards available:

•£50 gift card for £40: code SUMMER50

•£100 gift card for £80: code SUMMER100

•£200 gift card for £160: code SUMMER200

•£400 gift card for £320: code SUMMER400

1 hour ago, Genie said:

The prepaid card account I have (Monese) seem to be doing this once a month, basically free money.

They are doing it with Betfair and paddy Power too. Withdraw a certain amount and they will include extra money as a voucher. You can do it as many times as you like.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They are doing it with Betfair and paddy Power too. Withdraw a certain amount and they will include extra money as a voucher. You can do it as many times as you like.

Withdraw, or add?

I could understand them giving a bonus on a deposit, but a bonus once you’ve withdrawn is unusual.

52 minutes ago, Genie said:

Withdraw, or add?

I could understand them giving a bonus on a deposit, but a bonus once you’ve withdrawn is unusual.

Yeah, withdrawals. I guess if you withdraw, you'll put some back in.

• Like 1

This winter will be horrible despite us saving money on not needing our heating whoch in thwiry should make the bills lower for us all but we all know it wont. Just like the petrol the pumps putting their prices up even though they should be lower.

Its a big problem. I have friends all over the place outside the uk and their countries are having similar problems.  Thats the worrying thing

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This winter will be horrible despite us saving money on not needing our heating whoch in thwiry should make the bills lower for us all but we all know it wont. Just like the petrol the pumps putting their prices up even though they should be lower.

Its a big problem. I have friends all over the place outside the uk and their countries are having similar problems.  Thats the worrying thing

And if we think we have it bad here, imagine the same in a third country where a lot of the population were barely surviving already.  A lot of people will die.

16 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Also if you pick red every time on the roulette wheel it's basically free money 

Â