The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

57 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think it's about £21k a year 

Is it really. That's crazy how much that has caught up to a lot of jobs that used to be close to double minimum wage.

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Is it really. That's crazy how much that has caught up to a lot of jobs that used to be close to double minimum wage.

I think it says more about wage stagnation in this country in relation to rising prices. The minimum wage has had to go up, but most people's wages haven't risen anywhere near the same. I also think the minimum wage is still crap when compared to the actual cost of living. The line about wages pushing up inflation is BS too, it's all about shareholder profits.

• 2 weeks later...

Filled up yesterday - Shell V-power was 173.9p. While I don't keep a close eye on it, I'm sure that is up quite a bit from 2-3 weeks earlier when I last put some in. I think it was about mid 160s then?

Edited by Xela

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/04/2024 at 21:20, Xela said:

Filled up yesterday - Shell V-power was 173.9p. While I don't keep a close eye on it, I'm sure that is up quite a bit from 2-3 weeks earlier when I last put some in. I think it was about mid 160s then?

175.9p yesterday.

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I see a few banks are putting up mortgage rates… because the BoE interest rate isn’t coming down.

I saw that story on the BBC talking about “homeowner pain” because several lenders are increasing their rates by 0.1%.

3% to 3.1% on £150k over 20 years is £8 a month.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I saw that story on the BBC talking about “homeowner pain” because several lenders are increasing their rates by 0.1%.

3% to 3.1% on £150k over 20 years is £8 a month.

BBC scaremongering saying its a 'hike'! I've seen bigger rises on a snooker table. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

My mortgage is set to go up by about £500 in September. 

Is it a crazy idea to remortgage with an interest only mortgage for 2 years and hope interest rates have come down when I remortgage again? 

Personally I’d think about extending the term to reduce the impact on the monthly price rather than go interest only.

Is +£500 the variable rate it’ll go into at the end of the current fixed term, or is it the best deal available today?

46 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

My mortgage is set to go up by about £500 in September. 

Is it a crazy idea to remortgage with an interest only mortgage for 2 years and hope interest rates have come down when I remortgage again? 

How long have you got left on your term? Going onto Interest only may not be much less than what you were paying at the moment.

Only concern would be that the shorter your term remaining, if rates don’t come down in 2 years, then your monthly payments will be even higher when you go back onto repayment 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Personally I’d think about extending the term to reduce the impact on the monthly price rather than go interest only.

Is +£500 the variable rate it’ll go into at the end of the current fixed term, or is it the best deal available today?

Best deal available at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Loxstock92 said:

How long have you got left on your term? Going onto Interest only may not be much less than what you were paying at the moment.

Only concern would be that the shorter your term remaining, if rates don’t come down in 2 years, then your monthly payments will be even higher when you go back onto repayment 

25 years left. 

The increase isn't going to kill us financially but I was just thinking of it as a short term pause with the hope that interest rates come down. 

Yes it will slow down the rate but at some point my wife and I will inherit money and would look to pay a lump sum then in the future. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Best deal available at the moment. 

Whats the difference to the variable? Maybe it’s worth holding on as long as possible for rates to drop a bit for a better deal? Risky, but if the price isn’t much more then it might be an option

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

25 years left. 

The increase isn't going to kill us financially but I was just thinking of it as a short term pause with the hope that interest rates come down. 

Yes it will slow down the rate but at some point my wife and I will inherit money and would look to pay a lump sum then in the future. 

Ahhh if it’s 25 years then it’s not so bad then. You can throw the numbers into a calculator and decrease the term by 2 years and see the difference assuming rates don’t change, shouldn’t be that much relative to what you were going to be paying. Just check that you meet the criteria for going onto interest only as they can be quite strict and require a low loan to value and plenty of equity depending on the lender.

You can still put any extra money into the mortgage whilst on IO so stil bringing the debt down if you wanted to. 

if you went down the term extension route, you can apply under the mortgage charter up to retirement age without the need for any formal checks. You can switch to IO on this however it’s only for 6 months. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bag of haribos, was always around the £1 mark for years. Then it went to £1.25 and quickly £1.35.

Just called into the shop and picked up a bag (for the children, honest)… £1.55

First the petrol and now haribos. Where wil it end???

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

A bag of haribos, was always around the £1 mark for years. Then it went to £1.25 and quickly £1.35.

Just called into the shop and picked up a bag (for the children, honest)… £1.55

First the petrol and now haribos. Where wil it end???

Freddos and Big Macs.

On 28/03/2024 at 08:57, turvontour said:

What's the approx annual salary for minimum wage now, assuming normal approx 35 to 40 hour week?

Minimum wage if aged over 21 years old:

35 hour week - £20,820

37.5 hour week - £22,308

40 hour week - £23,795

Â