The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I guess  the supermarkets could pass on a reduction but they appear to be choosing not to

Definitely correct there. Last night, the BP garage that I usually use was 195.9p per litre. The Tesco up the road where I have been using recently due to the obvious price difference was 196.9p

The other garage was 197.9p (didn't clock the fourth garages price but as it's a Euro it usually price matches the other Euro)

So the expensive BP / M&S Garage was the cheapest

But recently the supermarkets have been within 3p a litre even when they are cheaper and the differential used to be about 8p or 9p. At the Start of the Pandemic the differential went to something ludicrous like 21p

But I know of petrol stations now that are consistently cheaper than the supermarkets

I'll tell you who else is trying it on, the big pizza chains have really ramped up the prices lately. Tried to order last night, and a large pizza is now about £23 and they have all started charging a delivery fee, as well as ramping up the cost for changing topics/creating your own.

Exact same order that cost us £18 a few months ago (2 large pizzas delivered with 4 toppings and stuffed crust, bogof) came to £32 last night. They can get ****, we went to the supermarket and got some frozen ones.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I'll tell you who else is trying it on, the big piuzza chains have really ramped up the prices lately. Tried to order last night, and a large pizza is now about £23 and they have all started charging a delivery fee, as well as ramping up the cost for changing topics/creating your own.

Exact same order that cost us £18 a few months ago (2 large pizzas delivered with 4 toppings and stuffed crust, bogof) came to £32 last night. They can get ****, we went to the supermarket and got some frozen ones.

It's absolutely mental. The ingredient cost of a pizza is literally pennies. Over here, I haven't noticed a huge difference but a large pizza is usually only around 6 quid anyway.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

Definitely correct there. Last night, the BP garage that I usually use was 195.9p per litre. The Tesco up the road where I have been using recently due to the obvious price difference was 196.9p

The other garage was 197.9p (didn't clock the fourth garages price but as it's a Euro it usually price matches the other Euro)

So the expensive BP / M&S Garage was the cheapest

But recently the supermarkets have been within 3p a litre even when they are cheaper and the differential used to be about 8p or 9p. At the Start of the Pandemic the differential went to something ludicrous like 21p

But I know of petrol stations now that are consistently cheaper than the supermarkets

My opinion in this all that extra profit by them due the greed and not the discount that they should be passing onto the consumer should be 100% taxed so they make no profit on that extra money. Then it makes it pointless for them not to be knocking money off like they should

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

My opinion in this all that extra profit by them due the greed and not the discount that they should be passing onto the consumer should be 100% taxed so they make no profit on that extra money. Then it makes it pointless for them not to be knocking money off like they should

In principle, cool, but sadly I don't see how this can be done.

The government says "Hey, we're cutting the price by 5p for everyone"

The petrol selling bastards say "roger that, 5p cut for everyone. Coincidentally, market forces have required us to raise prices by another 5p".

Without tightly regulating fuel prices more generally, I'm not sure how you can ensure that short term duty cuts reach the consumer.

Consumer vehicle fuel equivalent of the domestic energy price cap for , anyone? :D 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'll tell you who else is trying it on, the big pizza chains have really ramped up the prices lately. Tried to order last night, and a large pizza is now about £23 and they have all started charging a delivery fee, as well as ramping up the cost for changing topics/creating your own.

25 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's absolutely mental. The ingredient cost of a pizza is literally pennies. Over here, I haven't noticed a huge difference but a large pizza is usually only around 6 quid anyway.

They can't even apply the old, "they are trying to recoup the profits because of loss of trade during pandemic line" because their business model was never affected and was actually booming for them.

It's just pure greed.

I've never understood people who go to the big pizza chains anyway got a place near me that does nicer pizza's than them for less than half the price.

Edited by AshVilla

Heard that Martin Lewis on radio 5 earlier. 

The next 12 months are going to be that bad we would all be better off buying a length of rope and a stepladder. 

18 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Heard that Martin Lewis on radio 5 earlier. 

The next 12 months are going to be that bad we would all be better off buying a length of rope and a stepladder. 

I assume he didn't actually say that!

What did he say?

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

In principle, cool, but sadly I don't see how this can be done.

The government says "Hey, we're cutting the price by 5p for everyone"

The petrol selling bastards say "roger that, 5p cut for everyone. Coincidentally, market forces have required us to raise prices by another 5p".

Without tightly regulating fuel prices more generally, I'm not sure how you can ensure that short term duty cuts reach the consumer.

Consumer vehicle fuel equivalent of the domestic energy price cap for , anyone? :D 

The only way I can see of taking action about this is if everyone monitors their local prices and only buys from the cheapest. It's what I've been doing for months but it needs everybody (or most) to do the same

40 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Never one to champion riots, but if there are any, I hope petrol stations are targeted. 

Not championing riots. I said that so don't judge me you bastards. 

Thats a bit like asking the Russians to blow up their own ammo dumps

37 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I assume he didn't actually say that!

What did he say?

Energy cap going to 3k, inflation to carry on rising etc, also stuff about mortgages but I didn't listen to that as we haven't got one. 

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

The only way I can see of taking action about this is if everyone monitors their local prices and only buys from the cheapest. It's what I've been doing for months but it needs everybody (or most) to do the same

I do it too. I went to the Co Op in Atherstone as it was a penny cheaper than asda. Also about three miles nearer. 

Only one pump open for diesel though, that was alarming. 

34 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

12 month lease on a rope and a step ladder.

No point in paying full price.

Buy now, pay later, on a 0% credit card.

Edited by Genie

I'm really glad I ignored Martin Lewis's advice about 9 months ago and I'm locked into a deal that was a little expensive at the time, and above the price cap right then, but way cheaper than what was coming. He's usually brilliant for consumers but that advice has cost a lot of people hundreds if not thousands. Unusual wishful thinking from him when it came to staying on the price cap, hoping something would be done.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm really glad I ignored Martin Lewis's advice about 9 months ago and I'm locked into a deal that was a little expensive at the time, and above the price cap right then, but way cheaper than what was coming. He's usually brilliant for consumers but that advice has cost a lot of people hundreds if not thousands. Unusual wishful thinking from him when it came to staying on the price cap, hoping something would be done.

He changed his mind last minute but when I called about the deal I had been offered a week earlier it was no longer available. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

He changed his mind last minute but when I called about the deal I had been offered a week earlier it was no longer available. 

I think I can understand from his perspective not telling people to pay more now to save money in the long term when there could theoretically have been intervention to keep the price cap lower. People would have been raging if he'd convinced them to pay more to dodge even bigger rises that didn't come.

I do recall him being so absolute about it though, rather than encouraging people to weigh it up themselves. First time I've really doubted him and ignored his advice on over a decade of following his content, though, which is an enviable track record.

Â