The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

I was thinking with a child on the way if the Tories win the next election then I'm getting him out of here.

I'll be sure to remind the boomers in my family of that as the election approaches.  Emotional blackmail ftw.

Chap down the road from me has started eating the squirrels the local cats get to to save on meat purchases.

Fat little bastards round here too.

Edited by Dante_Lockhart
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I was thinking with a child on the way if the Tories win the next election then I'm getting him out of here.

I'll be sure to remind the boomers in my family of that as the election approaches.  Emotional blackmail ftw.

I think you be ok with that, as boris and sunak have absolutely destroyed them. If labour cant win the next election after these scandals then they might as well fold as a party.

But yeah this country has gone to 💩 

On 13/04/2022 at 13:43, PussEKatt said:

I think even a millionaire would be struggling if he wanted a new luxary yacht every year.

Tell me about it, I've had to cancel the order for my new yacht this year just so I can pay for the petrol in my Bentley and the gas/electricity for my palace in the country.

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

The boomers are going to love the opportunities, some real austerity will bring, for reminding kids about when they were young, but most of all, enjoying the opportunity to use that phrase, they heard so often themselves, when they were young: "You don't know you're born!".

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think you be ok with that, as boris and sunak have absolutely destroyed them. If labour cant win the next election after these scandals then they might as well fold as a party.

You and others underestimate the amount of ignorant, bigoted, racist and selfish clearings that make up a huge portion of this country that sympathise with the gov’t. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Two years of high inflation, soaring energy bills, increasing job insecurity, and falling living standards, should be enough to result in a hung parliament at the very least.

I think that a lot of socially conservative voters still don't trust Labour on a lot issues.

I also think that after the Covid measures, and how it was managed in the media, a lot of people have lost faith in the system altogether.

47 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

You and others underestimate the amount of ignorant, bigoted, racist and selfish clearings that make up a huge portion of this country that sympathise with the gov’t. 

Yeah a valid point but surely that is miniority in comparison to the amojnt that are not?

I do think apart of it was labours past failures as well. I personally think both major parties are garbage. This is the most depressing thing about this country. 

29 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I also think that after the Covid measures, and how it was managed in the media, a lot of people have lost faith in the system altogether.

This is a massive key point for me that think sums up alot of people

40 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I do think apart of it was labours past failures as well.

The last Labour government were far from perfect but absolutely nothing that is happening now is their fault.

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Get a one way ticket to Rwanda. 

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Get a one way ticket to Rwanda. 

Buy one of those inflatable dinghies and float around the shore by Dover?  Splash a bit of water on myself to make it look like I've had a rough ride.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Looks like the UK might have gone and f***** it (more depressing-looking graphs on the thread).

If history is anything to go by, lack of economic growth has political consequences.

UK economic growth was virtually flat from the early 1920s to the mid-1930s, and proved a period of insecurity for working people.

Political leaders see an economic crisis as an opportunity: communists hope it will spark the revolution, capitalists see it as a good time to buy assets cheap, and Greens see it as good for the ecosystem.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

BoE Interest rate increased to 1% (highest rate since 2009).

I know it's a tool to tackle inflation, but I always find it depressing that in order to tackle the rising cost of living, we will increase the cost of living for anyone who dared buy a house. 

Having a young family, being a fresh home owner, and being affected by the mess we are in, that is not great to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

If history is anything to go by, lack of economic growth has political consequences.

UK economic growth was virtually flat from the early 1920s to the mid-1930s, and proved a period of insecurity for working people.

Political leaders see an economic crisis as an opportunity: communists hope it will spark the revolution, capitalists see it as a good time to buy assets cheap, and Greens see it as good for the ecosystem.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I know it's a tool to tackle inflation, but I always find it depressing that in order to tackle the rising cost of living, we will increase the cost of living for anyone who dared buy a house. 

Having a young family, being a fresh home owner, and being affected by the mess we are in, that is not great to me.

I've been thinking about this. 

The thing is, these are not normal times, there are very specific reasons for current inflation. Mainly increased cost of oil and gas and therefor petrol and electricity. 

Soon to be food shortages due to the war. 

Just because you raise interest rates doesn't mean people are going to drive less, heat their homes less or eat less.   Yes, maybe there will be some reductions around the edges but prices are not going up because people are squandering money artificially increasing demand. 

So I just don't see how increasing interest rates are going to control spiraling prices.  Petrol and electricity are still going to increase, wheat and sunflower oil is still going to be in short supply. 

And no one is going to say "oh I was going to heat my home this week but look at those savings rates, I'll stick it in the bank instead. 

I'm a simple man with only limited knowledge about these issues so maybe I'm missing something but it strikes me we're just going to make people poorer and prices are going to rise anyway. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

BoE Interest rate increased to 1% (highest rate since 2009).

Oh joy. Look forward to my interest over 5% now :( Sometimes I wish I'd meet with an accident so the house is paid off and the Wife and lad have a bit of money :( 

• Sad 4

Â