The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm noticing a lot of 'price increases by stealth' - same price, smaller portion per package, that sort of thing. The shower gel I use has become watered down, etc. 

It even has a name. Shrinkflation

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm noticing a lot of 'price increases by stealth' - same price, smaller portion per package, that sort of thing. The shower gel I use has become watered down, etc. 

Mrs Sidcow normally buys this premium ish ham in a paper packet from Sainsbury's. Usually get 5 slices in it.  She just bought it as usual then found it had just 2 slices in it. Was deliberate, it's labeled as 2 slices. So now we don't buy it at all anymore. 

34 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

There's a bad joke in there somewhere but I'm to hot to try and figure it out. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Amazon Prime going up by over 20% from £79 a year to £95.

In fairness though it is the first increase since 2014.

Gotta fund that space program somehow, although it'd just be nice if he paid his due UK taxes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Gotta fund that space program somehow, although it'd just be nice if he paid his due UK taxes.

Yeah exactly, it’s not good when the worlds richest man puts up prices by 20%.
Hopefully there’s a massive backlash.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Amazon Prime going up by over 20% from £79 a year to £95.

In fairness though it is the first increase since 2014.

I said in the general chat that i think its outrageous one of the worlds richest men who has more money than he wilm ever spend, will put his prices up at a time when people are struggling. Yes its £12 extra a year but add that to everything else thats going on.

Poor, and leaves a sour taste for me. Ill be cancelling mine on principle. I hope others follow

• Like 1

One tip, if you're thinking of ditching Amazon?

Don't leave Christmas shopping late.

If you see something you think someone might like earlier in the year? Get it then.

Walk in shops aren't what they were due to competition from the internet/click & collect/post Covid gaps on shelves/Brexit etc.

I always just wait for the inevitable "have a month for 99p" offers then cancel immediately. Often not waiting long for those offers either, they seem to pop up almost every other transaction. Do the same with the wife's account, between the two of us we generally get about 6 months out of the year on Prime for ~£5.

If Netflix push through globally with this bullshit they're about to peddle in South America, charging for multiple households on top of already charging for multiple screens, that'll be getting kicked to the curb next.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

I reckon you could possibly cancel your subscription now, then renew it for £79 before September 15th to avoid the price rise.

I was actually thinking this. Cancel it get the missus to sign up before increase

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I was actually thinking this. Cancel it get the missus to sign up before increase

Yes, and she can share her prime subscription with you for free (if you live at the same address).

40 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

If Netflix push through globally with this bullshit they're about to peddle in South America, charging for multiple households on top of already charging for multiple screens, that'll be getting kicked to the curb next.

Yep, i can see quite a few people cancelling Netflix when they start charging/blocking for password sharing. 

However, a decent minority will pay the extra and so Netflix have obviously calculated they'll still make more from the extra payments than they'll lose from people cancelling. 

I would like to cancel now, but inertia keeps me subscribed even though i don't really need Netflix. It's just too convenient to have it available as a button on my remote.  

If you order a lot of stuff (as I do ) then Amazon prime is far too cheap anyway so no issue far as I’m concerned … and that’s before you get to music , video and books that they throw in 

28 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

If you order a lot of stuff (as I do ) then Amazon prime is far too cheap anyway so no issue far as I’m concerned … and that’s before you get to music , video and books that they throw in 

Jeff ? 

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Well you can order all that same stuff with free delivery without paying for Prime. It’ll just take an extra day for delivery.

17 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Item on sky news, Unilever are thankful to the rising prices for a profit boost.

WTAF! I bet they are! Somethings not right there, at all.

That stinks. 

Right, no more soap or deodorant for me! 

Â