The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

A thing you commonly see is people claiming thet eat fast/processed food because real food is too expensive. 

Surely nothing is cheaper than fresh vedge? OK meat can be expensive but that can be eked out. 

Even cooking costs surely wouldn't swing it to more expensive? 

I both agree and disagree. 

A packet of biscuits is cheaper than a box of cornflakes.   I understand that the cornflakes will give me several meals.  But if I genuinely only have 40p in my pocket - it's not a choice. 

One thing I have noticed in life is that the more money you have the cheaper you can live.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, sidcow said:

A thing you commonly see is people claiming thet eat fast/processed food because real food is too expensive. 

Surely nothing is cheaper than fresh vedge? OK meat can be expensive but that can be eked out. 

Even cooking costs surely wouldn't swing it to more expensive? 

I think its the short termism too, I cant afford to go to the supermarket and spend £80 on a couple of weeks worth of food but will spend £10-£20 on a macdonald’s for 1 family meal.

11 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

One thing I have noticed in life is that the more money you have the cheaper you can live.  

The cost of energy is a good example of this, pre-payment is very expensive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

The cost of energy is a good example of this, pre-payment is very expensive.

Exactly. But it applies to most things.  

Mr Rich's washing machine breaks  - He browse the Web, finds a good deal, orders the product and gets 1% cashback from the bank. 

Mr Poor's washing machine breaks- He takes out a loan or puts it on a credit card.  Or maybe he catches the bus to the launderette whilst saving up for a replacement.  

Even if both buy the same product at the same price, Mr Rich is paying out less. 

• Like 4

Paying for things in installments rather than one off. Cheaper financial products if you have good credit history. Buying things in bulk. It's quite a common theme. It all makes sense and is justifiable from the perspective of those offering these products, but it results in the poor paying more.

• Like 2

Moved in to a house with a hot water tank last year, have never lived in a home with one before; always had combi boilers. 

I'm kind of ignorant about the differences in the ways they work, but having had a new boiler installed a couple of months ago, I did learn a bit more about the system. 

New water bill came through this week - £60.00 per month DD. Is this normal, or should I start investigating if their are inefficiencies in my system somewhere? 

It seems high to me. A google suggests the average for a household in the UK is around £40 p/m. For reference, two adults and a one year in the household, meaning a minimum of 2 showers a day, a small bath every other day, an adult bath probably every fortnight, washing machine is on every other day-ish, and then what I would deem a normal amount of usage of water for tea, coffee, squash, washing up, etc.

I'm with Severn Trent, so they've explained to me that there have been increases for the coming year for various reasons, but even so...

My Gas & Elec provider wanted me to stump up a £300 p/m DD, was a simple matter of logging on and reducing it to what I deemed to be an appropriate amount. With ST Water, it's not quite as easy.

On the topic, I have no idea where my water meter is. Nothing in the house (so far as I can gather!) and I've had the cap on the pavement open and there isn't an actual meter in there, unlike previous properties I've lived in. 

7 minutes ago, hogso said:

Moved in to a house with a hot water tank last year, have never lived in a home with one before; always had combi boilers. 

I'm kind of ignorant about the differences in the ways they work, but having had a new boiler installed a couple of months ago, I did learn a bit more about the system. 

New water bill came through this week - £60.00 per month DD. Is this normal, or should I start investigating if their are inefficiencies in my system somewhere? 

It seems high to me. A google suggests the average for a household in the UK is around £40 p/m. For reference, two adults and a one year in the household, meaning a minimum of 2 showers a day, a small bath every other day, an adult bath probably every fortnight, washing machine is on every other day-ish, and then what I would deem a normal amount of usage of water for tea, coffee, squash, washing up, etc.

I'm with Severn Trent, so they've explained to me that there have been increases for the coming year for various reasons, but even so...

My Gas & Elec provider wanted me to stump up a £300 p/m DD, was a simple matter of logging on and reducing it to what I deemed to be an appropriate amount. With ST Water, it's not quite as easy.

On the topic, I have no idea where my water meter is. Nothing in the house (so far as I can gather!) and I've had the cap on the pavement open and there isn't an actual meter in there, unlike previous properties I've lived in. 

Combi boiler in this house. 3 adults, 1 child. So that's 3 showers a day and the child alternates between bath and shower. Washing machine every other day. Normal usage of water, our DD to ST is 22.63. 

12 minutes ago, hogso said:

4 of us in a 4 bed house, he have a water tank and boiler, DD for water is £23 a month.

I shower every day. Wife has bath most days (if not a shower). 

Little tip, check if your bill includes a cost for waste rain water. We were being charged for that, but as our house is quite new the estate has a separate drainage for rainwater. It does not go into the sewerage system. Saves a few pounds a month.

21 hours ago, Genie said:

I think its the short termism too, I cant afford to go to the supermarket and spend £80 on a couple of weeks worth of food but will spend £10-£20 on a macdonald’s for 1 family meal.

Short termism a good substitute for "laziness".

As a nation, we've got a lot more lazy.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, hogso said:

Your water DD is too high, get in touch with them and say you want a meter installed of they cannot tell you where yours is (it belongs to them, so they're responsible).

Your gas/elec is too high too, should be around 200-250 a month (if you are not on a product since October rises).

BG were charging me quarterly, and using estimates, when I was sending reads.  I refused to pay the bill until they sorted it, now I pay monthly, £200 a month, or just over.  Family of 4.

We are with Severn Trent.  Family of 4 but we do have a very large garden which Mrs Sidcow does like to water.  Our monthly bill is £48.

As others have said Combi heater or hot water tank shouldn't make any difference to usage.

I am pretty annoyed because our house wouldn't have had a meter but the miser old man who lived here before must have had on installed to saved a few pennies when just he and his wife lived here.   Generally if you are not using much water and have a meter your bill is lower than the Severn Trent standing charge, but we're obviously well ahead of it.  It's why I never shower, I smell like a proper man.

Edited by sidcow

50 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Your water DD is too high, get in touch with them and say you want a meter installed of they cannot tell you where yours is (it belongs to them, so they're responsible).

Your gas/elec is too high too, should be around 200-250 a month (if you are not on a product since October rises).

BG were charging me quarterly, and using estimates, when I was sending reads.  I refused to pay the bill until they sorted it, now I pay monthly, £200 a month, or just over.  Family of 4.

Elec & Gas isn't an issue, I reduced that to £150 as soon as they suggested £300 p/m, which is much more in line with our average monthly usage (£60ish elec, £80ish gas) - fixed until next September, as a result of entering a fixed term 2 year contract when we moved in last Aug. 

Thanks for the input on Water, all. It's clear there's an issue somewhere - in the house, or with the billing. As it happens @Genie I am indeed subject to the extra charge you make reference to. It's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but as the estate I'm on is 15 years old, perhaps something I can get out of. 

34 minutes ago, hogso said:

Elec & Gas isn't an issue, I reduced that to £150 as soon as they suggested £300 p/m, which is much more in line with our average monthly usage (£60ish elec, £80ish gas) - fixed until next September, as a result of entering a fixed term 2 year contract when we moved in last Aug. 

Thanks for the input on Water, all. It's clear there's an issue somewhere - in the house, or with the billing. As it happens @Genie I am indeed subject to the extra charge you make reference to. It's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but as the estate I'm on is 15 years old, perhaps something I can get out of. 

Yes, raise it with them. They charge it by default and then take it away if you challenge it.

I called South Staffs water, they raised a ticket with Seven Trent who did a survey. ST confirmed that rain water does not go into the sewerage system and therefore I should not be charged.

I wonder if they corrected to for the other several hundred houses, or just mine…

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Get it reassessed. When they come round, explain that you water the lawn every day of the year and that a huge amount of the water you use goes into the ground and not the drainage system. You only pay for the water that goes into the drain. The actual water out of the tap is free

Bank of England said yesterday that they expect the October price cap to add another 40% to energy bills taking the average to £2800 a year. Then another rise is expected next January.  The average state pension is £8500 and a single persons universal credit is £4000. With food prices also predicted to continue to soar it means the poorest amongst us are either going to freeze, be starving or most likely both.  

Edited by markavfc40

On 13/05/2022 at 09:57, hogso said:

I'm on a water meter, I pay about £55 a month with Southern Water - 4 kids, 2 "adults" - the washing machine and dishwasher are on at least once a day. My gas and electricity is f**king ridiculous - £356.52 a month. Council tax is £220. Its a good thing I've got a good job - oh, no, wait I had to give that up because of my health!

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Bank of England said yesterday that they expect the October price cap to add another 40% to energy bills taking the average to £2800 a year. Then another rise is expected next January.  The average state pension is £8500 and a single persons universal credit is £4000. With food prices also predicted to continue to soar it means the poorest amongst us are either going to freeze, be starving or most likely both.  

Do people think civil unrest and rioting could become an issue again.

Â