The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Mcdonald’s latest to increase prices, double cheeseburger +20% 99p to £1.19.

They say everything going up 10-20p per item.

Right, that's it now. 

tenor.gif?c=VjFfbWljcm9zb2Z0X3N3aWZ0a2V5

• Haha 4

Just now, sidcow said:

Right, that's it now. 

tenor.gif?c=VjFfbWljcm9zb2Z0X3N3aWZ0a2V5

If my kids ask for Mcdonald’s I say yes, as long as you come with me in the car to get it… nope, they can’t be arsed sitting in the queue and neither can I. 
Problem solved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

If my kids ask for Mcdonald’s I say yes, as long as you come with me in the car to get it… nope, they can’t be arsed sitting in the queue and neither can I. 
Problem solved.

It is actually incredibly that their prices haven't risen since 2014. Apparently if a Cheeseburger had increased each year in line with inflation it would cost £1.45 or something. 

Incredible but also wrong, they can only have achieved that by squeezing their suppliers year on year bleeding them dry.  I assume they've just realised they quite literally can not squeeze them any further and actually continue to receive supplies from them. 

I had a client years ago who supplied fabricated sheet metal to Japanese white goods manufacturers. They came to them each year and told them that to continue as a supplier they needed to be x% cheaper than last year.  The did this year on year.  Meanwhile they're trying to control employee costs, raw material costs, transport costs etc etc.  The downward spiral helps no one but the big boy looking to maintain big profits and of course us customers who always shop around for the cheapest deal. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It is actually incredibly that their prices haven't risen since 2014. Apparently if a Cheeseburger had increased each year in line with inflation it would cost £1.45 or something. 

Incredible but also wrong, they can only have achieved that by squeezing their suppliers year on year bleeding them dry.  I assume they've just realised they quite literally can not squeeze them any further and actually continue to receive supplies from them. 

I had a client years ago who supplied fabricated sheet metal to Japanese white goods manufacturers. They came to them each year and told them that to continue as a supplier they needed to be x% cheaper than last year.  The did this year on year.  Meanwhile they're trying to control employee costs, raw material costs, transport costs etc etc.  The downward spiral helps no one but the big boy looking to maintain big profits and of course us customers who always shop around for the cheapest deal. 

It’s normal in automotive when being sourced for a new vehicle to commit to a cost down each year.

Its assumed that the supplier will find efficiencies in their production, processes, suppliers etc.

Not saying it’s right btw, but it’s “normal” in this industry.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sne said:

.75 increase from US Fed. More to come I guess.

Hows that likely to impact US share prices? The big ones in the S&P 500?

*looks nervously at investment account* 

6 hours ago, Genie said:

To be fair, food like that is ridiculously cheap. It can't have been much cheaper in the 80s? 

No wonder we are a nation of fatties if you can get burgers at that price. 

Just now, Xela said:

I'm the wrong guy to ask sadly. Sure we have others on here who can answer thou.

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its been predicted for a little while so this increase will already be priced in. 

It’ll be the next round that might spook the markets if they go another 0.75% or more.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Genie said:

Do people still eat this junk?

Ergh i hate mcds. Havent had it in about 10 years. Their burgers taste like rubber

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Do people still eat this junk?

Ergh i hate mcds. Havent had it in about 10 years. Their burgers taste like rubber

They taste even more like rubber when they are delivered to your house via uber eats. 

Saying that i’m sure they are still extremely popular.

12 hours ago, Xela said:

0.75% was priced in, but those indexes are going to get smashed at some point. 

The FED know this is going to get a lost worse and so does the BOA, the markets are just can kicking. 

I’m short on the Nasdaq and FTSE and those positions are going to print, it’s just a matter of time. The data is there for all to see. 

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

I wonder how much they've shrunk the product in that time though. Their cheeseburgers look bitesize.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I wonder if there is going to be a global depression ? because the cost of living is going up way over here as well.

100%. The only question is how bad and for how long. 

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I wonder if there is going to be a global depression ? because the cost of living is going up way over here as well.

I'm convinced this is why the energy companies are ripping us off, getting all the profits in for when people have literally got no money to pay them in a recession

• Like 1

Just watching ITV news, not sure on the BBC, but why is it not being reported about the record profits these companies have made today and the struggles some people are going to encounter. Should be front page news? 

It's all a bit dodgy not even being reported on the news surely!

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Just watching ITV news, not sure on the BBC, but why is it not being reported about the record profits these companies have made today and the struggles some people are going to encounter. Should be front page news? 

It’s an absolute scandal, same as the price fixing on petrol/diesel. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Genie said:

They taste even more like rubber when they are delivered to your house via uber eats. 

Saying that i’m sure they are still extremely popular.

Yuck they shouldnt even be allowed to be called burgers

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Its a absolute disgrace. I think people are close to boiling point at these corrupt ****

• Like 1

Â