The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

Reading this thread makes me realise just how fortunate I am to never have driven. I imagine it's something that once you start it's hard to let go as well. So many cons going on regarding insurance, fuel, etc.

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

That’s a nightmare. Do you have a dash cam? If not I’d get one installed. They’re dirt cheap nowadays.

I actually bought 2 for £18 before Christmas. Decent quality, they won’t read a number plate half a mile away, but if someone comes flying into the side of my car when I’m parked it should clear me of blame. 

Edit: Just looked and they’re even cheaper now, 2 for £17

MyMemory Dash Cam

yeah , might have to look into one of them  .. long as you can disable them in the event he's to blame should it happen again 

• Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

yeah , might have to look into one of them  .. long as you can disable them in the event he's to blame should it happen again 

Lob it out of the window, that’s what I’ll do if it ever might incriminate me :lol: 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

what’s making it £1600 in the first place?

I’m guessing it can only be a combination of some of the following factors:

You have bought a Bugatti

You are 15

You have a history of burning cars and pushing them off cliffs

Home address postcode is Mogadishu

Close with the postcode 😂 beautiful (sarcasm) Aston. It's a 2004 bloody golf with one claim on it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Reading this thread makes me realise just how fortunate I am to never have driven. I imagine it's something that once you start it's hard to let go as well. So many cons going on regarding insurance, fuel, etc.

Cars are money pits in general. Like a kid, or a large dog. Without any of the affection given back. 

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Everyone says car insurance is a rip off yet its THE  most ferociously competitive market out there. Its the one thing most people check annually and the one thing most people will change at the drop of a hat with very little consideration about who they are moving to.  There is almost no brand loyalty whatsoever.

With all that in mind funny there isn't someone out there charging "reasonable" prices and hoovering up all the business from all the rip off merchants.  Should be a piece of piss shouldn't it?

Yet companies will still offer a person a cheaper quote as a new customer than they would as a renewing customer. I'm sure there was some law/rule that said that shouldn't happen? I browse a lot of car forums (as I'm a sad word removed) and it still happens a lot. 

I think all people want is a bit of consistency in pricing. 

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

the boy passed his test in June and best quote we could get was £2,100 with a black box 

few months later someone speeding excessively cut across 2  lanes of traffic to turn into a junction last minute and smashed into him , even though he hadn't changed lanes and wasn't speeding the insurance company said without CCTV footage or a witness we couldn't prove it was the other drivers fault .They informed me he was blaming my son for the accident !! andthus  it would have to be knock for knock ...  oh and btw you have to pay £750 excess on the repairs as a result of it not being the other drivers fault.

Couple of weeks later , his black box registered him as exceeding the speed limit , so they emailed and said you have to cancel the policy within 7 days or we will terminate it and then you'll pretty much never be able to get insurance as you'll have a black mark .. We rang them and said his record had been good , it was a first offence , can't you just give a warning at least ... they said No  

so we cancelled and took out a new policy  , rather than get blacklisted , no other choice really 

Few weeks later still hadn't received the promised refund on his policy , so contacted them .. turns out in the policy it says if you have an accident that's "your fault" ( knock for knock also counts as your fault) and you cancel the policy , no refund shall be given ( this is standard on all car insurance  apparently ) ... basically that's £1700 they have just pocketed  

He's only been driving 6 months and we've already paid £4,000 for insurance + £750 excess 

If i ever get diagnosed as having a few months left to live , that car insurance company are definitely getting the Bill Foster treatment 

What a terrible sequence of events Tone. 

I know its a bit late now, but a dash-cam should be purchased for the future. Front and rear (kw)

edit: @Genie already mentioned

Edited by Xela
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yet companies will still offer a person a cheaper quote as a new customer than they would as a renewing customer. I'm sure there was some law/rule that said that shouldn't happen? I browse a lot of car forums (as I'm a sad word removed) and it still happens a lot. 

I think all people want is a bit of consistency in pricing. 

Actually that is now a rule which is why you may not find another quote that's much cheaper and be able to shop around every year as in days gone by. 

On 12/01/2024 at 14:44, Genie said:

That’s a nightmare. Do you have a dash cam? If not I’d get one installed. They’re dirt cheap nowadays.

I actually bought 2 for £18 before Christmas. Decent quality, they won’t read a number plate half a mile away, but if someone comes flying into the side of my car when I’m parked it should clear me of blame. 

Edit: Just looked and they’re even cheaper now, 2 for £17

MyMemory Dash Cam

Cheers for this. I immediately bought a couple and they seem good for the price.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm dreading my insurance renewal after all the recent reports. 

Yeah I was dreading mine too but has only gone up £2 which compares favourably to the comparison sites which were at least £60 more!

• Like 1

As discussed in other threads, expect energy prices to fall in April.

The boss of Octopus Energy says bills will fall this April as providers have already paid for the gas.

Speaking to the BBC at the World Economic Forum in Davos, chief executive Greg Jackson said the new energy price cap will be "hundreds of pounds lower" than current levels.

He added that gas supplies had been secured in advance of the winter months.

This has led to lower wholesale prices, Mr Jackson said.

BBC

20 minutes ago, trekka said:

As discussed in other threads, expect energy prices to fall in April.

The domestic prices should go back to where they were pre energy crisis but that won't be until October earliest, as we feel the benefit six to nine months behind.

To be fair, we were shielded at the old rates domestically for the first nine months of the price spikes. 

The live market has completely given back all of the Ukraine Russia premium now. 

It could be that we break down below historic averages this year as demand remains much lower than historic norms and won't pick back up as usage behaviours have changed. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pal at work had his car insurance renewal. Last year was £475 with Admiral. Their renewal quote came in at £1500. He eventually got cover with Churchill at £700.

I think most people are going to have to find an extra few £££ this year. 

• Shocked 1

14 hours ago, Xela said:

Pal at work had his car insurance renewal. Last year was £475 with Admiral. Their renewal quote came in at £1500. He eventually got cover with Churchill at £700.

I think most people are going to have to find an extra few £££ this year. 

My insurance went up by 500 pound last month. Did all the comparison websites and individual ones and couldn't get it any better. No idea how they can justify it. 

• Shocked 1

Â