The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

*sushi eating latte sipping Wokearati

Yeah, bastards.

Anyway I'm off back to my crabsticks and nescafe. 

Easter eggs. The really small ones which you could practically breathe in used to be a quid each. Now they are a pound fifty in Tesco's. Nice little 50% price rise for a yearly product which people probably forget what the previous price point was. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Easter eggs. The really small ones which you could practically breathe in used to be a quid each. Now they are a pound fifty in Tesco's. Nice little 50% price rise for a yearly product which people probably forget what the previous price point was. 

I believe the price rise in a lot of this kind of thing to do with the increased costs in transport? I'm sure Aldi, or one of the budget supermarkets, released a statement saying the price of food was fine still, but getting the food to the supermarkets was a lot more expensive? 

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Birmingham's council tax is forecast to rise by 21% over the next 2 years.

However Birmingham is still to host the European Athletics Championships.

Passing the cost of their general (pretty disastrous) failings onto the public that they are meant to protect is scandalous.   The general public in one region should not have to bail out the completely inept **** who caused this mess to balance the books.  They'll say "you have a choice! Vote them out!".  Yeah, much good that will do. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

*sushi eating latte sipping Wokearati

I had sushi and a latte today :( 

1 hour ago, trekka said:

Passing the cost of their general (pretty disastrous) failings onto the public that they are meant to protect is scandalous.   The general public in one region should not have to bail out the completely inept **** who caused this mess to balance the books.  They'll say "you have a choice! Vote them out!".  Yeah, much good that will do. 

Well yes but what else can be done if central government aren’t willing to help out? The cost of past mistakes then has to pass to locals. 

Just the 70% rise year on year for building + contents insurance with no claims and like for like cover. Absolute bunch of bastards.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Got my car insurance renewal coming up, dreading it

I changed cars last week, new quotes were looking like about 33% increase, from £300 to about £400 a year. Basically the same car, but a few years newer.

I changed the car on my current policy for a total cost of £12 till the summer which was a relief but I’m dreading that it’ll shoot right up (kw) when the full year renewal comes in (kw). 

20 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Got my car insurance renewal coming up, dreading it

Insurance for the wife's  2022 Toyota yaris with direct line last year was 380, this year 720! No claims, nothings changed etc...

Shopped around on compare the market site and got exactly the same cover for 320. 

Told direct line to do one.....despite them saying they can get the renewal price down to 550.....

It's an annual joke, you just have to put a bit of effort in. If direct line premium was an increase of only say 20 quid then I would have accepted the auto renewal and they would have retained a customer and I would have been none the wiser that I could get the insurance cheaper.

Unfortunately no doubt I will have to do it all again next year.

Best of luck!!

• Like 2

If anyone wondered why energy has become so expensive, here's part of it.

Britons paying hundreds of millions to turn off wind turbines as network can't handle the power they make on the windiest days

UK consumers are paying hundreds of millions of pounds to turn wind turbines off because the grid cannot deal with how much electricity they make on the windiest days.

Now, with extreme push back from the population in Norway over the North Sea Link cable essentially having become a pure export cable for Norway and our extreme prices jumping over the one of the coldest countries in Europe who's already at a 100% clean energy the prices are likely set to rise even more when Norway starts limiting the export. Essentially the whole price region of Southern Norway has had a jump of about 100% in electricity prices since the cable went up, and the government there is struggling with defending the cable as anything other than making already filthy rich power companies become even richer on everyone's common power.

The U.K power system must hands down be one of the worst in the world. Not only did we shut down many our only stable power generators (nuclear), but now we're essentially infecting all the states around us with our idiotic prices. Much the same as Germany who's made the same idiotic choices as ourselves based on in many cases purely conspiratorial ideas about nuclear power being bad, and two accidents over a span of over 70 years where one was a tsunami and one was down to the failures of a corrupt dictatorial system.

Edited by magnkarl

It's a bloody small part of it isn't it? £215m, that's less than £10 per household per year.

It's not ideal, but it's barely a rounding error in the energy price hikes we've seen over the last couple of years.

I don’t find energy that expensive tbh.

About 15 years ago my DD for gas and electric was £90-100. Now it’s £130 and should be coming down again in a month or 2. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t find energy that expensive tbh.

About 15 years ago my DD for gas and electric was £90-100. Now it’s £130 and should be coming down again in a month or 2. 

Mine's gone from £50-60 from 3-7 years ago up to £150...

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Meanwhile the energy prices for an average Norwegian household in the price region where the North Sea Link cable comes in have gone up from about £100 to £300 a month, in a country which is pretty much making 100% of their own energy at about 12p a kilowatt. 

Take away or cap the imported energy into our own market and our prices would likely go up even more when we can't depend on cheap Norwegian and Danish energy. The voices coming from Norway is that it's supposed to be a transfer cable, not an export cable. In order to facilitate exports to Norway we'd need to actually be able to produce energy when it's cheap for us (wind and nuclear).

Edited by magnkarl

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I do wonder why mine is relatively low as we both WFH and have 2 children who have absolutely everything permanently on charge.

I guess being a new house it has top tier insulation and modern boiler and windows. 

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Your personal situation has changed massively though. 

I've gone from £100pm in an older all electric flat 15 years ago, to £75pm now, in a modern efficient flat. I am a lot more careful now though. When I first moved here, the heating was set at 23 degrees from October to April, and my bill never went over £50pm! 

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Your personal situation has changed massively though. 

I've gone from £100pm in an older all electric flat 15 years ago, to £75pm now, in a modern efficient flat. I am a lot more careful now though. When I first moved here, the heating was set at 23 degrees from October to April, and my bill never went over £50pm! 

As an energy manager, this annoys me.

Â