The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

11 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

Car insurance renewal price... Granted it's the auto renewal price but it's a bloody rip off. 1.6k to 3.3k... 

Everyone says car insurance is a rip off yet its THE  most ferociously competitive market out there. Its the one thing most people check annually and the one thing most people will change at the drop of a hat with very little consideration about who they are moving to.  There is almost no brand loyalty whatsoever.

With all that in mind funny there isn't someone out there charging "reasonable" prices and hoovering up all the business from all the rip off merchants.  Should be a piece of piss shouldn't it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Everyone says car insurance is a rip off yet its THE  most ferociously competitive market out there. Its the one thing most people check annually and the one thing most people will change at the drop of a hat with very little consideration about who they are moving to.  There is almost no brand loyalty whatsoever.

With all that in mind funny there isn't someone out there charging "reasonable" prices and hoovering up all the business from all the rip off merchants.  Should be a piece of piss shouldn't it?

I reckon there’s still an awful lot of people that just accept the renewals and pay them. The insurance companies are probably making enough money off those who stay with the overpriced policies to cover those who they lose to a better deal.

Same with things like Sky/Virgin Media. Whack the price right up, you lose a few, some will call and negotiate but plenty will suck it up and pay the massive hike.

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, ismail-villa said:

Car insurance renewal price... Granted it's the auto renewal price but it's a bloody rip off. 1.6k to 3.3k... 

LV doubled mine , said it was due to an increase in claims by other drivers  , told them to go fornicate with themselves and got it via the meerkat instead

I'm now  paying about £120 more than last year but its still better then the £400 increase LV tried to sneak through on the auto renew

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

LV doubled mine , said it was due to an increase in claims by other drivers  , told them to go fornicate with themselves and got it via the meerkat instead

I'm now  paying about £120 more than last year but its still better then the £400 increase LV tried to sneak through on the auto renew

I’m with Hastings and mine went up from approximately £140 to £260 (no claims no accidents).

Went on every known insurance search and not one company could beat that quote.

Twisting load of words removed.

I've been with Quote Me Happy for the last 4 years and it's the first time in my years of driving that I've stayed with an insurer for more than 1 year. I think my premium went up for £30 this year, and in previous years it's just gone down and been very competitive without the need for me to argue the toss for a better price.

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

I’m with Hastings and mine went up from approximately £140 to £260 (no claims no accidents).

Went on every known insurance search and not one company could beat that quote.

Twisting load of words removed.

How's that been allowed to happen?

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

couple of weeks later , his black box registered him as exceeding the speed limit , so they emailed and said you have to cancel the policy within 7 days or we will terminate it and then you'll pretty much never be able to get insurance as you'll have a black mark .. we rang them and said his record had been good , it was a first offence , can't you just give a warning at least ... they said No  

This is incredibly unusual, was it massively over the limit?

Usually they give several warnings and have fairly high thresholds, 40+ in a 30, etc.

If it was a fairly trivial one and a first offence, I'd be curious about the financial health of the insurer, maybe they're just derisking with every chance they get.

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

How's that been allowed to happen?

They are all in cahoots I tell ya.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

it should be illegal to not allow people to cancel via the website and clicking a few buttons 

Exactly, they should offer the same facility to upgrade as cancel. 

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

the boy passed his test in June and best quote we could get was £2,100 with a black box 

few months later someone speeding excessively cut across 2  lanes of traffic to turn into a junction last minute and smashed into him , even though he hadn't changed lanes and wasn't speeding . the insurance company said without CCTV footage or a witness we couldn't prove it was the other drivers fault and he was blaming my son !!  , thus  it would have to be knock for knock oh and btw you have to pay £750 excess on the repairs as a result of it not being the other drivers fault   .. 

couple of weeks later , his black box registered him as exceeding the speed limit , so they emailed and said you have to cancel the policy within 7 days or we will terminate it and then you'll pretty much never be able to get insurance as you'll have a black mark .. we rang them and said his record had been good , it was a first offence , can't you just give a warning at least ... they said No  

so we cancelled and took out a new policy  , rather than get blacklisted , no other choice really 

few weeks later still hadn't received the promised refund on his policy , so contacted them .. turns out in the policy it says if you have an accident that's "your fault" ( knock for knock also counts as your fault) and you cancel the policy , no refund shall be given ( this is standard on all car insurance  apparently ) ... basically that's £1700 they have just pocketed  

he's only been driving 6 months and we've already paid £4,000 for insurance + £750 excess 

If i ever get diagnosed as having a few months left to live , that car insurance company are definitely getting the Bill Foster treatment 

That’s a nightmare. Do you have a dash cam? If not I’d get one installed. They’re dirt cheap nowadays.

I actually bought 2 for £18 before Christmas. Decent quality, they won’t read a number plate half a mile away, but if someone comes flying into the side of my car when I’m parked it should clear me of blame. 

Edit: Just looked and they’re even cheaper now, 2 for £17

MyMemory Dash Cam

Proofcam PC105 Forward Facing Dash Cam - 1080 HD - Includes 8GB Micro Card

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Genie said:

but if someone comes flying into the side of my car when I’m parked it should clear me of blame. 

Irrelevant unless you know who the other party is.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Irrelevant unless you know who the other party is.

Well yeah, it’s not a silver bullet but it stops some of the blame game in thousands of potential scenarios.

I think it's time all cars came with dashcams as standard to be honest. 

Never mind insurance claims they provide valuable evidence in fatalities etc. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I think it's time all cars came with dashcams as standard to be honest. 

Never mind insurance claims they provide valuable evidence in fatalities etc. 

I think new cars (at least higher end ones) have cameras built into the back of the rear view mirrors now as standard (to get insurance rating down).

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

This is incredibly unusual, was it massively over the limit?

Usually they give several warnings and have fairly high thresholds, 40+ in a 30, etc.

If it was a fairly trivial one and a first offence, I'd be curious about the financial health of the insurer, maybe they're just derisking with every chance they get.

it seemed to me to be desrisking as you suggest ,

They've never really given me the exact speed but I'd have to assume it wasn't 2 miles an hour over the limit , he isn't really a boy racer , but i think on that day he'd had some girl troubles and his mind wasn't on the game  ... they just said they don't give warnings and that it was all in the small print , they weren't interested in any mitigating circumstances or anything .. I'll write to the Ombudsman etc , but I'm not expecting anything to be done tbh  

his new policy they give you a weekly email with your status ( and reward points if you stay Gold ) and you get a warning or two before they come down on you  ..its really a case of lesson learnt and now we know what to look out for when choosing future policies 

Â