The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not sure I think there has been a change in the rules because yes, some restaurants were taking the piss. it’s right the old girl washing the pots gets a slice, not so good when ‘the man’ is getting in on the action.

When I warra lad me and my mate worked the restaurant bar at a fairly big place. The waitress puts the food and drink orders in the till, then our printer prints off the drinks order. We put it on a the tray for them to collect and take to the table.

Not once did any waitress ever give us a penny of the tips they got from a table.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

When I warra lad me and my mate worked the restaurant bar at a fairly big place. The waitress puts the food and drink orders in the till, then our printer prints off the drinks order. We put it on a the tray for them to collect and take to the table.

Not once did any waitress ever give us a penny of the tips they got from a table.

Yep, exactly the same here.

Except, ours was a hotel and every now and again we’d have a really big hitter staying, Bernie Winters and Schnorbitz, Burt Weedon, The Style Council.

If it was someone that hung around the bar, I made a killing and the waitress staff could go spin.

The absolute biggest tip I ever had was from the head roadie / fixer for The Style Council, on the instruction of Paul Weller’s dad who told him to make sure I had a decent tip. That tip, back in the 80’s was £60* peeled off a roll of 20’s he had in his pocket, a bunch of singed stuff, stickers, badges, and one of every type of tee shirt that the merch guys had AND the cassette out of their ghetto blaster I’d said I liked.

He even got Mick Talbot out of bed and back down to the bar to sign my Merton Parkas record I’d brought to work in the hope of getting it signed!

I was seriously impressed with that guy. 

For context, I was paid 50p an hour out of the till end of shift.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think the waiting staff see it as compensation for having to deal with the public.

Someone told me that they once had a customer order a t-bone steak and then complain that it had a bone in it.

• Haha 1

On 15/02/2024 at 16:32, chrisp65 said:

Yep, exactly the same here.

Except, ours was a hotel and every now and again we’d have a really big hitter staying, Bernie Winters and Schnorbitz, Burt Weedon, The Style Council.

The absolute biggest tip I ever had was from the head roadie / fixer for The Style Council, on the instruction of Paul Weller’s dad who told him to make sure I had a decent tip. That tip, back in the 80’s was £60* peeled off a roll of 20’s he had in his pocket, a bunch of singed stuff, stickers, badges, and one of every type of tee shirt that the merch guys had AND the cassette out of their ghetto blaster I’d said I liked.

He even got Mick Talbot out of bed and back down to the bar to sign my Merton Parkas record I’d brought to work in the hope of getting it signed!

I was seriously impressed with that guy. 

That should have made you shout to the top to watch all that money go round.

On 05/02/2024 at 20:16, sidcow said:

Mate of mine owns a nursery. The free childcare thing is causing massive issues. They just can't recruit enough staff to deal with it and what they're paid isn't enough to provide it. 

Sounds like the government's plan for old age facilities and social care.

Fuel prices still going up.

New Tesco station in Atherstone is 143.9 for diesel, yet the Tesco at Blythe Valley was 148.9 until they put it up to 150.9 in the last few days.

Both stations on the A5 at Dordon have also increased to 151.9 and 152.9

Absolute **** robbery.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Fuel prices still going up.

New Tesco station in Atherstone is 143.9 for diesel, yet the Tesco at Blythe Valley was 148.9 until they put it up to 150.9 in the last few days.

Both stations on the A5 at Dordon have also increased to 151.9 and 152.9

Absolute **** robbery.

I saw most garages around the 150p mark this week and thought that was a quiet increase too.

Be going up again soon, my benchmark garage went up for the second time recently yesterday £1.47.9 for diesel. Usually the quickest place to chance prices and usually the cheapest place for miles

Sorting through my Villa archive the other day, most of which was donated, I found a Villa season-ticket book for 76-77, which cost £46 for a seat in Trinity Road B4 zone.

I ran it through an on-line gizmo to find the equivalent cost in 2024.

£334

5 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Sorting through my Villa archive the other day, most of which was donated, I found a Villa season-ticket book for 76-77, which cost £46 for a seat in Trinity Road B4 zone.

I ran it through an on-line gizmo to find the equivalent cost in 2024.

£334

The one I used says £415 today. 

I don't know how much a season ticket is in The Trinity now but I'm guessing it's easily double that? 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The one I used says £415 today. 

I don't know how much a season ticket is in The Trinity now but I'm guessing it's easily double that? 

In 1977 Villa finished 4th, when Andy Gray scored 29 goals (25 league).

It prompts the question as to what was it, that increased demand to such an extent that they can now charge much higher prices?

Sky?

Or, has it since become a game for an older age group, who have more money?

3 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It prompts the question as to what was it, that increased demand to such an extent that they can now charge much higher prices?

Sky?

How many people in ‘77 could have dreamt of owning a Range Rover, or a telephone?

There is a very different attitude to credit now, and more people thinking they have more disposable income. So the relatively limited supply means greater competition and higher prices.

I guess, as my theory.

5 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Sky?

I don't think there's any great mystery there. The modern game is much more inclusive and family friendly, and heavily pushed in the media.

They've spent a fortune on rehabilitating football's image to bring in the middle classes, increased demand and pushed up prices, no matter how shit the teams are.

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think there's any great mystery there. The modern game is much more inclusive and family friendly, and heavily pushed in the media.

They've spent a fortune on rehabilitating football's image to bring in the middle classes, increased demand and pushed up prices, no matter how shit the teams are.

I watch quite a bit of football from the lower divisions and even Europe, and they seem to have half empty grounds.

I'm convinced that the Premier League has a special allure and seems to be defying trends I see in other divisions and leagues, even though the average product doesn't seem much better.

I wonder if the punters are just seduced by the brand and hype.

With the economy in trouble it will be interesting to see if the Premier League will suffer.

34 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

How many people in ‘77 could have dreamt of owning a Range Rover, or a telephone?

There is a very different attitude to credit now, and more people thinking they have more disposable income. So the relatively limited supply means greater competition and higher prices.

I guess, as my theory.

Used cars have got a lot cheaper as the number has increased and you can get something decent for 20% of a median wage.

Electronics have got a lot cheaper and the on-line gizmo I used, calculated that a hi-fi amplifier bought in 1971, cost the equivalent of almost £2k back then.

On 15/02/2024 at 16:01, Genie said:

I’ve also looked at places to go on holiday (beach holidays) and been put off if they have a tipping culture at the resort.

It’s all inclusive but you’re expected to tip the barman every time, and then tip the cleaner every day, and tip the reception staff, and, and, and. If you tip the guy by the pool $20 at the start he’ll look after you. He’ll bring you a drink if you’re low.

I hate all that. 

As sad as it is, tipping is one of the main things that puts me off going to America. Not for the cost, but just for the fact that there is that expectation and I’d feel like I’m in the wrong to not give a tip even if the service and food was utter shite. It’s stupid. 

• Like 1

It’s all very clever you standing on the sidelines and heckling them. But they’d have solved the housing problem and the NHS problem and the cost of living crisis over the last 14 years if they hadn’t been ambushed by MOB RULE and unisex toilets.

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s all very clever you standing on the sidelines and heckling them. But they’d have solved the housing problem and the NHS problem and the cost of living crisis over the last 14 years if they hadn’t been ambushed by MOB RULE and unisex toilets.

And the WOKE Deep State illuminati.

• Like 1

Â