The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

I’ve never used air BnB and I doubt many of them around here are air BnB’s but the rental prices are still crazy. 

A 3 bedroom semi down the road from me is £1,350 a month. Absolutely crazy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve never used air BnB and I doubt many of them around here are air BnB’s but the rental prices are still crazy. 

A 3 bedroom semi down the road from me is £1,350 a month. Absolutely crazy.

It’s an overall pull on demand.

There aren’t that many air BnB in my town either, but 13 miles down the road most new flats down Cardiff Bay get to be air BnB and the result is every kid in Cardiff is pushed out to here and so every kid from here is pushed up the valleys and all of a sudden one of the towns with the fastest rising rents in the U.K. is Merthyr **** Tydfil.

• Shocked 2

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, it shocks me. I eat my toast in the morning looking at the advertising boards of a city centre estate agents. People are paying double my mortgage for one bedroom apartments. I've no idea how. 

Then you've got to add the maintenance charges etc. 

Maintenance / ground rent / buildings insurance, is the landlords cost, but still, the rental price is a big amount

It would cost me 2x mortgage to rent my own flat! As an owner I pay the above charges, but still works out much cheaper, plus I'm actually paying it off as well. 

Recenty changed the managing agent and tenent for the flat I rent in Brum. They put it up £300 a month, an had people waiting to rent, I kinda felt guilty to be honest, but if that's the going rate so be it. Just about covers the Mortgage and extortionate service charges now.

9 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Cheers mate, I’ll switch again!

It’s £40 a year less than the one I opted for last week but price will come down and fix in April for 12 months. 

• Like 1

Last year the insurance for my oldish toyota yaris runabout cost 220 quid for me and the missus. Direct line said that premium is now 570 this year 🤬

I know stuff goes up in price but this increase is crazy....needless to say I have some considerably cheaper quotes

• Like 1

Just now, delboy54 said:

Last year the insurance for my oldish toyota yaris runabout cost 220 quid for me and the missus. Direct line said that premium is now 570 this year 🤬

I know stuff goes up in price but this increase is crazy....needless to say I have some considerably cheaper quotes

Piss takers, they know many will just take the hit out of convenience.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, delboy54 said:

I think most insurers are capitalising on the news that car insurance has 'gone through the roof' and hoping existing customers begrudgingly accept profiteering increases.

This month my renewal quote from LV was £920, up from last year's £560 and an increase of 64%.

I've cancelled the renewal and moved to Aviva with a near identical '5 star' policy. The cost, after a bit of cashback, was £540; a saving of £20 on last year's deal and a massive £380 cheaper than LV's renewal quote. Customer loyalty certainly does not pay!

• Like 3

On 13/02/2024 at 13:01, delboy54 said:

Every time I've got a quote from Direct Line it's been absolutely miles more expensive than the going rate.

I assume the reason they proudly declare they're not on comparison sites is because they know they'd be found out.

• Like 1

The more I see about the situation with costs in the UK, the happier and happier I am that I left. When I first moved it was hard as I was earning pennies, but being here longer, with a better job, family etc, it's objectively a better place to be.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The more I see about the situation with costs in the UK, the happier and happier I am that I left. When I first moved it was hard as I was earning pennies, but being here longer, with a better job, family etc, it's objectively a better place to be.

Gah I just got a job in the UK, so I'm heading back imminently after 8 years in Spain. The €3 wines were pretty tasty last night. Last time I was in the UK I bought someone a £8.10 small wine.

• Like 1

Just now, Rolta said:

Gah I just got a job in the UK, so I'm heading back imminently after 8 years in Spain. The €3 wines were pretty tasty last night. Last time I was in the UK I bought someone a £8.10 small wine.

Even if a beer is rarely below 12zl out now (used to be 6), I'll take it!

I got my income returns for 2023 back today, if I earned what I made in Poland, in the UK, I'd be still be happy,

With the mess it is politically, financially, socially; I really have no idea why more people don't just leave. Especially with remote working so common now.

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I got my income returns for 2023 back today, if I earned what I made in Poland, in the UK, I'd be still be happy,

With the mess it is politically, financially, socially; I really have no idea why more people don't just leave. Especially with remote working so common now.

It’s the tarmac road to my house that clinches it for me

• Haha 3

Just now, Genie said:

It’s the tarmac road to my house that clinches it for me

Hey, when I have the road it'll be glorious.

In all seriousness, and off topic, now we've paid, I'm over it. Work will start in March, and actually it'll add far more to the value of our house than we paid for our bit so whatever :D 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I agree, and I'm disappointed to be moving in a direction opposite to your logic. It's out of necessity really. After dramas (as per the relationship thread), I needed to sort a better job out. The first good job that I got is back home, so here I go.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 20:57, Xela said:

Maintenance / ground rent / buildings insurance, is the landlords cost, but still, the rental price is a big amount

It would cost me 2x mortgage to rent my own flat! As an owner I pay the above charges, but still works out much cheaper, plus I'm actually paying it off as well. 

That is outrageous and there's not even a Waitrose anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Because:

- Family

- Friends

- House

- Salaries are still good compared to a lot of the world (excluding nutter countries like USA)

- Politically a) It's a short-term mess b) It's still less corrupt than a lot of other countries

- General costs are high in a lot of other high-income western countries

- I like it in the UK.

- I really like my job.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

That is outrageous and there's not even a Waitrose anymore.

It sat empty for years, now they are demolishing it, along with the office next door. 

i believe an Aldi will rise from the ashes. The locals will not be amused

stephen-colbert-tea.gif

• Haha 2

Â