The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So what's the opposite to gentrification?

De-gentrification? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

The more I see about the situation with costs in the UK, the happier and happier I am that I left. When I first moved it was hard as I was earning pennies, but being here longer, with a better job, family etc, it's objectively a better place to be.

Yeah? At least we have drives outside our houses. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So what's the opposite to gentrification?

Sutton Coldfield. 

It's only Birmingham overspill anyway. 

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Tut-tut, the Royal Borough, if you don't mind!

Ahem, Royal Town actually. Please get your historic town titles correct, otherwise people might think it's just some rubbishy Victorian prefix like that there Leamington Spa likes to flaunt.

Went out for a Japanese meal yesterday and spent £77 (for 2 of us). Service charge wasn't included. 

I didn't leave a tip, i usually do but just didn't feel like it for some reason. Nothing was wrong with the food or service. 

The waitress was not happy - blanked us afterwards! 

With minimum wage now increasing to £11.44 (roughly £22k a year), it feels like tipping is less necessary compared to other minimum wage jobs where there is no tipping. 

Thoughts? 

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Went out for a Japanese meal yesterday and spent £77 (for 2 of us). Service charge wasn't included. 

I didn't leave a tip, i usually do but just didn't feel like it for some reason. Nothing was wrong with the food or service. 

With minimum wage now increasing to £11.44 (roughly £22k a year), it feels like tipping is less necessary compared to other minimum wage jobs where there is no tipping. 

Thoughts? 

Life hack at a restaurant

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Thoughts? 

I had a real issue with this about a week ago.

We went to some franchise place called Bill’s. The food was perfectly alright, I’d go back, I don’t want to rush back. But it cost quite a lot of money for what it was, I think the bill for four of us was well over £100 which should have meant a £10 or £15 tip. But I didn’t feel I’d been given any exceptional service or exceptional food, and elsewhere in the same area when I sit in Chan’s and have a bowl of ramen for a fiver, or I get coffee and a toasty from the coffee shop, I wouldn’t even think about tipping the staff. So I didn’t, and it sort of bugged me for a few hours.

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Thoughts? 

Tipping in the UK brings out the strongest of opinions, it splits families. I am a tipper, a good tipper as well, so I would have tipped the level of service dictates the amount, but for me, it's never zero. 

I hate the tipping culture in the US. If it was cheap then fair enough but it’s really expensive in places like Orlando and you’re almost legally obliged to leave a decent sized tip. One of the Uber drivers was telling me it’s getting worse and worse. Even staff on the checkouts at Walmart are expecting a tip these days.

We tended to go for around 10% ish which I felt was a bit of a ripoff, but then the server probably thinks I’m a cheap bastard.

I’ve also looked at places to go on holiday (beach holidays) and been put off if they have a tipping culture at the resort.

It’s all inclusive but you’re expected to tip the barman every time, and then tip the cleaner every day, and tip the reception staff, and, and, and. If you tip the guy by the pool $20 at the start he’ll look after you. He’ll bring you a drink if you’re low.

I hate all that. 

I don't expect tips when I'm out in the cab, I think we charge a decent rate that balances competitively cheap with perfectly good income for the driver vs cost/time. People still insist on giving me extra though, well those paying by cash do, its much rarer for those paying by card

I'm not a big fan of tip culture anyway but I do tend to do it in the pub I go to regularly but that's about it

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I had a real issue with this about a week ago.

We went to some franchise place called Bill’s. The food was perfectly alright, I’d go back, I don’t want to rush back. But it cost quite a lot of money for what it was, I think the bill for four of us was well over £100 which should have meant a £10 or £15 tip. But I didn’t feel I’d been given any exceptional service or exceptional food, and elsewhere in the same area when I sit in Chan’s and have a bowl of ramen for a fiver, or I get coffee and a toasty from the coffee shop, I wouldn’t even think about tipping the staff. So I didn’t, and it sort of bugged me for a few hours.

Are restaurants still allowed to pool tips and use the money to subsidise their wage bill?

Carluccio's used to do it if I recall correcty.

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

I don't expect tips when I'm out in the cab, I think we charge a decent rate that balances competitively cheap with perfectly good income for the driver vs cost/time. People still insist on giving me extra though, well those paying by cash do, its much rarer for those paying by card

I'm not a big fan of tip culture anyway but I do tend to do it in the pub I go to regularly but that's about it

Somehow I never imagined you as a schmoozer. 😎

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Are restaurants still allowed to pool tips and use the money to subsidise their wage bill?

Carluccio's used to do it if I recall correcty.

I’m not sure I think there has been a change in the rules because yes, some restaurants were taking the piss. it’s right the old girl washing the pots gets a slice, not so good when ‘the man’ is getting in on the action.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not sure I think there has been a change in the rules because yes, some restaurants were taking the piss. it’s right the old girl washing the pots gets a slice, not so good when ‘the man’ is getting in on the action.

I think the best thing about being a Brit, is that unlike Americans, we don't live in dread of being branded as a lousy tipper.

• Like 2

Â