Battle for top half finish

turvontour

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Understatement of the year!

You  honestly don’t think we can beat Burnley in two attempts or Palace at home? I’m not saying we will but I don’t think we’re so bad we haven’t got a hope. 

Don’t we struggle against Burnley generally or am I making that up? 

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Since being back up, 1 win, 1 defeat, 2 draws.

I forget how many points we “should” have had from those. I remember thinking the defeat should have been a win. 

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This thread is the battle for a top half finish, it’s pretty much the only realistic aim left and it’s more appropriate than discussing it in the relegation thread due to the likelihood now of staying up. 

Since the Norwich game really only two posters have said we might manage it ( @turvontour and @VillaChris)  so I’m not sure this thread is exactly dripping with confidence.

The two Burnley games and Palace are winnable, however that doesn’t mean I think we’ll win all three. I don’t think we’ll win all three. Maybe Burnley will have secured safety by the time of our second meeting, maybe Palace will be further on beach than we will. Really don’t know.

I think at best we’ll manage two wins and maybe a draw. Meaning we’ll probably fall short of a top ten finish. 

Added to that I don’t know which Villa team will turn up, we could smash nine points and be great because we are a better team than them but the half soaked Villa team of recent times may show up and we lose all three because Burnley are still fighting for survival and have some confidence and Palace have a bit of talent.  If we turn up then I think we’ll be closer to 9 points in those three games but the question is which Villa team turns up. I’m thinking a win, draw and a loss in no particular order.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I forget how many points we “should” have had from those. I remember thinking the defeat should have been a win. 

Thanks, so better than I thought but still not great.

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

We played so well in both the Burnley games last season and instead of the six points our play deserved we ended up with one. I think this has scarred me and now it wouldn't surprise me if we got nothing out of the two upcoming Burnley games!

• Like 3

Actual points are irrelevent but unless we finish abvove 11th surely the general consensus must be we have gone backwards this season?

Surely the Palace and Burnley home games are winable? Don't expect anything off Liverpool or Man City and can see us losing maybe a draw at Burnley would be massive if we got a win though.  

Edited by zab6359

Didn't really know where else to put this but seeing as it relates to our battle for top half I guess I'll stick it here.

Since Gerrard took over, we are :
4th in the league away to bottom half sides (P-6 W-4 D-1 PPG 2.17)
12th away to top half sides (but that's flattering us. P-5 W-1 D-0 PPG 0.60)
11th home to bottom half (P-5 W-3 D-1 PPG 2.0)
16th home to top half (P-6 W-1 D-1 PPG 0.67)

Remaining schedule is :
1 game away to bottom half (Burnley) 2.17
1 game away to top half (Man City) 0.60
1 game home to top half (Liverpool) 0.67
2 games home to bottom half (Burnley, Palace) 4.0

7.44pts more points ? So 2 wins and a draw. 47 enough for 10th? Probably not.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Shit for 2/3 of the match against the worst team in the league and now we are gonna finish top half. I know we aren’t getting relegated and I’m hardly an optimist but **** me lol, some of you lot are as delusional as the ones convinced we are still gonna go down. Who are we going to beat after brushing aside the mighty Norwich between now and the end of the season? Mental. 

Palace are the type of team that we seem to do well against under Gerrard. Burnley should be as well, but you never know with those guys. I think 7 points from those 3 is a decent target.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

We played the best football I've ever seen Via play in the first half of the defeat. Typical that they turned into Barcelona at the 60 minute mark.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We played the best football I've ever seen Via play in the first half of the defeat. Typical that they turned into Barcelona at the 60 minute mark.

Think it's because we're like Southampton. We're decent but no one really fears us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think before we won the infamous Wesley game on NYD 2020 we hadn't won at Turf Moor since the 60s or something daft. And of course we reverted back to type there last season somehow losing 3-2 when we totally dominated.

They're also unbeaten in last three visits to VP.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think before we won the infamous Wesley game on NYD 2020 we hadn't won at Turf Moor since the 60s or something daft. And of course we reverted back to type there last season somehow losing 3-2 when we totally dominated.

They're also unbeaten in last three visits to VP.

6 points for Burnley then.

23 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The draw last season too. 28 shots on goal and total domination. Chance after chance. After chance went a begging. Still annoys me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You could say in recent times it’s more apt that we turned into Barca. (Roma, Liverscum etc)

I used a league predictor and think we've a great shout of getting 10th if we get 7 points from the remaining games including a win over Palace. If we can get the 7 points we should get at least 11th hopefully. 9 points and we surely get 10th

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I used a league predictor and think we've a great shout of getting 10th if we get 7 points from the remaining games including a win over Palace. If we can get the 7 points we should get at least 11th hopefully. 9 points and we surely get 10th

The middle bunch really seem to be stuttering now. A good end to the season from us and we sneak top half I think.

On 04/05/2022 at 07:46, nick76 said:

It’s exacerbated because they are one of those teams we always batter but never seem to get the result!

• Thanks 1

Â