Pre match thread

mottaloo

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Not my eye test. I think he’s been quite poor when he’s played. Decent against Chelsea but not against Man U.

Aside from the terrible ball leading to the goal he was excellent against Man Utd.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Arguable, but Watkins has been poor for weeks now. But some of the others we've mentioned haven't been that bad - Young has been out, so there's no obvious Cash replacement.

Not really when you say you’re going to make changes

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Then again it would have been nice to have Sanson start five games straight. The way things are going now he’s being built up to be some kind of hidden superstar, who’s only being kept off the pitch because the Illuminati hates him.

Typical VillaTalk vastly over exaggerating what people are saying to make a dumb point.

People want to see more of a player with good pedigree get a few more minutes as the midfield isn’t performing. Just because you’ve planted a flag in the “he’s obviously shit get rid” camp doesn’t mean you have to make up shit like that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

The day Sherwood first lost me is when he said “I’ll keep chopping and changing till I get it right” it was a completely different team each week and new formations. Someone else has a shocker today and they might be out the squad next week, knee jerk emotional decision is not the way.

There’s nothing wrong with rotating a squad, even a winning one. Man City never play the same team twice and I’ll always remember a stat I read towards the end of Fergusons career where it said he hadn’t played the same team twice in 50 odd league games, and that clearly was a winning one!

Weve been so hit and miss the last 2 months there’s really no excuse to play the same team, unless we win convincingly today it’s clearly the wrong move for us.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Nobody in here can say Sanson deserves a shot or that he should play. He could be an awful trainer or just way off quality wise. Nobody on this forum sees him day in day out. 

Yes, it’s frustrating, but there is a reason he never plays. 

He's started v Man. United and Chelsea already under Gerrard so playing him at home to bottom of league shouldn't be issue other than balance of midfield.

Feels like Gerrard has written him off though since his loose pass lead to Man. United scoring the second.

IIRC he replaced McGinn on those occasions so that's the issue, Gerrard dosen't see him as alternative to Luiz.

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Aside from the terrible ball leading to the goal he was excellent against Man Utd.

Strongly disagree. Caused the free kick for their first goal when struggling to recover after being bypassed in a 1-2. Then, early second half, tried to clear and played the ball directly on Elanga, who was through on goal but Emi saved. Plus the back pass for their second. Looked rusty (which was understandable) and shaky.

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

There’s nothing wrong with rotating a squad, even a winning one. Man City never play the same team twice and I’ll always remember a stat I read towards the end of Fergusons career where it said he hadn’t played the same team twice in 50 odd league games, and that clearly was a winning one!

Weve been so hit and miss the last 2 months there’s really no excuse to play the same team, unless we win convincingly today it’s clearly the wrong move for us.

Yep it all feels a bit MON esque if we're just going to play same 11 up to end of the season.

I suspect not but then if you're not confident of doing it v Newcastle and Watford then which teams will we rotate against as after today we'll be hitting run of playing relatively in form teams.

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Strongly disagree. Caused the free kick for their first goal when struggling to recover after being bypassed in a 1-2. Then, early second half, tried to clear and played the ball directly on Elanga, who was through on goal but Emi saved. Plus the back pass for their second. Looked rusty (which was understandable) and shaky.

K

16 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Sanson deserves a shot. He hasnt been bad when used, I'd understand if he'd been poor and was just another case of fans thinking players get better when they aren't playing... but he hasn't been bad when called upon the last few appearances, took one or two for the rust to wear off but he's been fine otherwise. 

It bugs me that Gerrard seems to think we're doing well in midfield

Why does Sanson deserve a shot? If he had earned a shot don’t you think that maybe Smith or Gerrard would have given him one?

What make’s you think that Gerrard thinks we’re doing well in midfield? When he first took over he played Nakamba in his team every week. Then, he spent January trying to sign a new central midfielder. Both of those would suggest the exact opposite of your assumption. Maybe he just thinks that  our midfield is not great but it’s the best we’ve got for now.

I was expecting more changes, but Gerrard sees them every day in training so I trust his selection here. 

I am glad to see Watkins dropped though. He's a good player, he just needs to find that fight and ambition that got him to this club in the first place. Hopefully the shock of being benched is the catalyst for that.  

• Like 2

It's disappointing more than anything else, midfield is a bit stale and not playing well and vs a poor Watford side this should be the chance to at least have a look at something else

But it is what it is, again vs a poor Watford side our best 3 CMs need that confidence boosting performance under their belt... Now just get that performance 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Typical VillaTalk vastly over exaggerating what people are saying to make a dumb point.

People want to see more of a player with good pedigree get a few more minutes as the midfield isn’t performing. Just because you’ve planted a flag in the “he’s obviously shit get rid” camp doesn’t mean you have to make up shit like that.

Ok, no need for that. I think Sanson could be a decent player if he had a run of games to get up to speed, but Gerrard apparently doesn’t want to give him that time. Playing him as a single 6 today would have been really difficult IMO, maybe he could have played instead of McGinn.

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

Ok, no need for that. I think Sanson could be a decent player if he had a run of games to get up to speed, but Gerrard apparently doesn’t want to give him that time. Playing him as a single 6 today would have been really difficult IMO, maybe he could have played instead of McGinn.

No need for what? You said people were building him up as a superstar.