Aston Villa Kits 22/23

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

Perhaps that is the 'passions exchanged' that the post is referencing. 

OT but I don't think duggie's missus is all that. A bit brassy, too much slap on...I mean, wearing fake tan and false eye lashes whilst playing ??

Nah.... I'm sure she'll be gutted reading this, but it's a No from me.

• Haha 1

Not sure what people were expecting from Castore.

If you look at their other kits they're almost always clean, plain, "boring" designs

That can be a good thing or a bad thing

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm not entirely sure so it's an educated guess here.

I would anticipate Fanatics have paid Villa X amount and then have the rights to negotiate with kit suppliers.

My understanding of the first year of that was that the kit was designed in-house at Fanatics and then the supplier for that season paid to have their logo put onto the kit that had been designed and developed.

Once Kappa came on board, they have their own design templates and styles so I would expect the deal to have been structured a little differently with them.

Castore will be an interesting one as my understanding (again, could be wrong) is that their deal with Newcastle is direct but their deal with Wolves is through Fanatics.  In this instance, Fanatics have a preferred manufacturer which is where the Wolves stuff was made. From what I saw, that was of a higher standard than what Newcastle fans were buying.

I know there has been a lot of conjecture about Fanatics' role in our kits over the last few years, but in reality their partner factories are good.  Fanatics manage to get licences from the likes of Nike and Adidas to produce American sports products with their logos on, and those two brands wouldn't sign up for that unless the quality was going to be spot on.

Wait, are you saying Luke Roper actually had nothing to do with the design and development of our kits that year??

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

When people go on about tradition, they usually just mean the 70's or 80's

I figured as much. To be fair the simple kits from around then are some of my favourites too, although I hate the ones with the laced collars that you'd expect to see on the front of a dodgy romance novel.

As a child of the 90s I don't think I'd even seen a kit of ours the designer had showed restraint on until seeing pictures on Google from before I was born!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, His Name Is Death said:

I know there are bigger things to be worrying about, but why does our blue have to be so pale these days? (Arguably, we no longer play in 'proper' claret either, more like magenta in some lights.)

Score Draw Aston Villa 1982 Champions of Europe Retro Football Shirt

The blue in this kit is just lush.

I wonder what the reasons have been for the colour changes over the years. Are they decisions meant to accommodate broadcasters, making sure that the kits produce enough contrast for the cameras filming from the gantry?

It's more purple than claret these days. Definitely not enough red in it.

Don't particularly mind the blue not being darker,  but wouldn't be against it. 

5 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

1893 to 1969 is a fairly long stretch. 

There were all sorts of things tweaked in that time, the shirts just don't seem as drastically different between iterations due to the lack of huge, ugly logos plastered all over them.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

4 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

There were all sorts of things tweaked in that time, the shirts just don't seem as drastically different between iterations due to the lack of huge, ugly logos plastered all over them.

Yes I know.  I'm not really sure what you're arguing about.  Have a great day. 👍 

2 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

So Rob, if SQUATWOLF wanted to do the Villa kit, what would the process be? 

I'm assuming there would need to be a deal between SW and Fanatics, who would then go on to produce the kit and other apparel? 

First off, good knowledge on the choice of brand for the example!  Secondly, my understanding is yes - the deal is brand + Fanatics. In terms of manufacturing I don't think it's a prerequisite that Fanatics' factories make the products. In the case of Kappa I would guess Fanatics have sub-licensed the whole kit and kaboodle (lol) and just retained the sales and distribution rights.

2 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

Am I wrong in thinking the fanatics deal had ended now?

I don't know. I'm not sure how long it was for. Castore have/had a similar set-up with Wolves though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Wait, are you saying Luke Roper actually had nothing to do with the design and development of our kits that year??

The current agreement on kit supply provision, and branding, is perhaps misunderstood, Mr Purslow suggested. The designer and producer of the kit is Fanatics. Hugely respected within the sports industry and a maker of many other high-profile team apparel. Luke, a local retail clothing brand, has a marketing-only agreement with the club.

Fanatics make their profit from selling merchandise in our store and on websites and wholesale. Luke have a relationship where their brand is promoted with their logo and other visible marketing around the ground.

Mr Purslow added that a priority for him is to drive higher values for the brands associated with Aston Villa.

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/the-aston-villa-fan-consultation-group-1st-meeting-with-ceo-christian-purslow-minutes/

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

If that really is the case Rob then a big well done to Fanatics kit designers for getting it spot on AND getting the actually claret and blue proper!

Do you think Fanatics have contemplated becoming a full-on kit supplier with their logo/branding? ITHe kits are so spot on with the colours and looking back at classic Villa kits and modernising them. I thought the consesus was that Luke was consulted by Fanatics regards the design and colours? 

17 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

First off, good knowledge on the choice of brand for the example!  Secondly, my understanding is yes - the deal is brand + Fanatics. In terms of manufacturing I don't think it's a prerequisite that Fanatics' factories make the products. In the case of Kappa I would guess Fanatics have sub-licensed the whole kit and kaboodle (lol) and just retained the sales and distribution rights.

I don't know. I'm not sure how long it was for. Castore have/had a similar set-up with Wolves though.

Thanks for that, it makes sense. So the kit deal, in terms of £X over Y years is the amount Fanatics pay to the club, with a separate agreement between Fanatics and the brand? I'm assuming there's a clear ROI for both parties (perhaps more indirectly for the brand). 

Shall we look forward to SQUATWOLF AVFC in 2025 then?

That Luke Roper video where is talking about ‘his’ inspirations for the kits were pure fallacy and I suspect potentially open to litigation were someone willing to push it. It’s pure fraud. Fanatics designed and produced those kits. Luke Sports simply paid to have their logo on it and pretended to be the kit designer. 

13 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

That Luke Roper video where is talking about ‘his’ inspirations for the kits were pure fallacy and I suspect potentially open to litigation were someone willing to push it. It’s pure fraud. Fanatics designed and produced those kits. Luke Sports simply paid to have their logo on it and pretended to be the kit designer. 

That really is fraud. Literally.

56 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I would imagine it was a coordinated marketing campaign, agreed by club, Luke and Fanatics.

The narrative helps to sell more shirts, which benefits ball parties, and there may well have been some input in terms of design from Luke.

5 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I would imagine it was a coordinated marketing campaign, agreed by club, Luke and Fanatics.

The narrative helps to sell more shirts, which benefits ball parties, and there may well have been some input in terms of design from Luke.

I still find it incredibly objectionable if the logic of the 3 parties mentioned above was "Well, Villa fans won't buy as many of these shirts unless we flat out lie to their faces."

It was a beautiful shirt full stop, but it feels cheapened somehow to know they had to peddle a fantasy.