Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

The narrow formation with everyone in the middle of the pitch?

13th or lower.

3421 and I'm more interested. Hope Gerrard moves towards this if he decides to start Buendia and Coutinho at the same time.

The problem is Tomaszk, I think that’s the formation he wants to play and is going to play next season.

I don’t like it either but we seem to be stuck with it so put our hypothetical signings into that system. 

I either want to play a 4-2-3-1 or a 3-4-2-1 like you say. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

They didn't drag on... We had a budget, we made inquiries/tried to negotiate, then moved on to other targets when we were priced out.  When all our CM targets were not available for the price we wanted, we held off on signing anyone last summer and decided to try again in the future.  It only looked like we were screwing around because the army of fake ITK journalists seemed to think that we were just negotiating for weeks on end when the announcement wasn't made.  

I love how you say this with such authority even though you are just guessing like the rest of us. 

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The problem is Tomaszk, I think that’s the formation he wants to play and is going to play next season.

I don’t like it either but we seem to be stuck with it so put our hypothetical signings into that system. 

I hope we win the league with it then.

I think it'll be more losses to teams we should be beating though.

The only way that shape works is if we're up against a top side and are sat back in our own box. Less of a problem doing it to protect a lead or whatever, starting matches with it I think we'll largely struggle.

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It's not thin if your wingbacks support the attack, and the CDM in the midfield drops in to cover whichever of them it wss that went forward. If they both go forward you sacrifice another midfielder to cover.

It leaves you with the striker, the two 10s, an 8 and a wingback for every attack and then either another wingback or 8 depending on how the attack evolved.

It works...if you have the fittest wingbacks in the league, and a shed load of discipline across the team.

I'd like to think some of our current crop are capable and intelligent enough to play this way. With a few smart additions I think we could crack it. 

Vitally important we get this window right to push on.  Your concerns may be realised if we get it wrong. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

It's not thin if your wingbacks support the attack, and the CDM in the midfield drops in to cover whichever of them it wss that went forward. If they both go forward you sacrifice another midfielder to cover.

It leaves you with the striker, the two 10s, an 8 and a wingback for every attack and then either another wingback or 8 depending on how the attack evolved.

It works...if you have the fittest wingbacks in the league, and a shed load of discipline across the team.

I'd like to think some of our current crop are capable and intelligent enough to play this way. With a few smart additions I think we could crack it. 

Vitally important we get this window right to push on.  Your concerns may be realised if we get it wrong. 

I'm not as hung up on systems, as some.......If one system was right, everyone would be using it.

Its more about how your players interact with a given system...and play to your strengths.

Movement plays a big part, in how a system works, because the game should be dynamic, not static.....but the players must be comfortable playing it.

but I agree with your comment, about getting this window right....fingers crossed.

• Like 2

I want Davis in the squad next season. He has improved so much so quickly that it would be criminal not to give him the first half of next season to see what happens.  He is a totally different player to the one that left in January for Forest. He plays alot like a massive Leon Bailey at times. Wasnt just a static target man. Picks the ball up and drives at the defence with skill which is what i was expecting from Leon.  And would perfectly fit with Ings. He causes chaos as he is so strong. Would love to see him shoulder to shoulder with Van Diyk . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I want Davis in the squad next season. He has improved so much so quickly that it would be criminal not to give him the first half of next season to see what happens.  He is a totally different player to the one that left in January for Forest. He plays alot like a massive Leon Bailey at times. Wasnt just a static target man. Picks the ball up and drives at the defence with skill which is what i was expecting from Leon.  And would perfectly fit with Ings. He causes chaos as he is so strong. Would love to see him shoulder to shoulder with Van Diyk . 

Far Far too injury prone and will waste a squad space 

25 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I too like Davis mate, problem is, who gets dropped from squad?

We also can't forget about Archer.

If 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 becomes our preferred system however, there is a chance for both IMO

Some reports saying that Gerrard wants an experienced striker, Lewandowski would be a good option, humble guy, doesn't get mad at his team mates who aren't as good as him, knows Cash, I'm guessing must know Coutinho too. Davis is good, but's it's going to get harder and harder for players to make it with us with each passing transfer window, as we improve the squad more and more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I really like Davis, I'd love him to make it here but we need to sell him.

It's a shame. But he has never been prolific, and he has always been very injury prone. If we can get £10-15m for him it would be great business and we have to cut our losses rather than lose him on a free.

This is going to be the major skill we need to learn. Sell the youth prospects for good, even high fees just as they hit a reasonable 'high' in their value then move them on. Keep the truly special ones and ensure a couple get their shot every season.

Liverpool with Solanke and Brewster are great examples. Everybody thought they'd achieve something. Brewster in particular was talked about on here and by many different clubs. They sold them at their peak value. Both get to have a good shot at a good career, if they make it, great. But Liverpool were ruthless and it paid off for them. 

We need to do that with Davis and it's probably this summer. As much of a shame as it is.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, useless said:

Some reports saying that Gerrard wants an experienced striker, Lewandowski would be a good option, humble guy, doesn't get mad at his team mates who aren't as good as him, knows Cash, I'm guessing must know Coutinho too. Davis is good, but's it's going to get harder and harder for players to make it with us with each passing transfer window, as we improve the squad more and more.

I’m assuming you’re joking re Lewandowski as an option for us?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, duke313 said:

It's a good sign that Gerrard wants the signings in before the tour of Oz starts, means no faffing about with transfers dragging on like Smith-Rowe/Ward-Prowse.  A proper pre-season in and hoepfully get off to a flying start in the league.

All managers say that but it rarely plays out like that. That said if we really are in for likes of Phillips and Bissouma we should know soon enough given Leeds could easily go down and Brighton aren't going to be constantly rejecting bids with one year left on his deal.

That's a signing we really need to make 2-3 weeks before start of the season so we can build around him in pre season.

I think most of the others can wait as I'm fairly happy with rest of the options, really up to Gerrard to use next two months to work out how to get the best of our many options in final third.

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Or it could be that the  lack of quality in the championship makes him look better perhaps?! 

Lets see how Mitrovic gets on back in the Prem.  Got dropped last season as couldn't score for s***.

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I hope we win the league with it then.

I think it'll be more losses to teams we should be beating though.

The only way that shape works is if we're up against a top side and are sat back in our own box. Less of a problem doing it to protect a lead or whatever, starting matches with it I think we'll largely struggle.

Not sure, under Gerrard we've beaten the vast majority of teams you'd expect us to beat.

A double v Brighton is pretty good when you consider they've beaten Arsenal and Spurs this season. We might also do the double over Palace who have also taken plenty of points off the top teams and also won very well against Southampton a few weeks after they went to Spurs and won.

Our issue is v top 8. Not so much playing well and narrowly losing v Liverpool but crumbling as soon as we go 2 down v Spurs and simple balls over the top exposes our backline. And then the average performances away to likes of West Ham and Wolves when they were both very beatable on the day.

Hopefully we'll be closer to those two next season as they should be weaker than last two seasons but then Newcastle will be stronger so it's never that simple.

21 minutes ago, useless said:

Some reports saying that Gerrard wants an experienced striker, Lewandowski would be a good option, humble guy, doesn't get mad at his team mates who aren't as good as him, knows Cash

I’d think Gerd Muller, Michael Jordan or even Cher would be more realistic options.

• Like 1

My concern with Phillips would be he wasn't very good before Bielsa went to Leeds and he hasn't been very good since he left, so makes one wonder if a lot of his success was down to how well he fitted into Bielsa's very specific system and regime, take him out of that well drilled system and maybe not the same player. I suppose the argument against that is that he's looked for England, but I personally didn't think he was as good as some made out, Rice was better and I would have started Bellingham ahead of Phillips.

Not saying he's a bad player, but I think there are questions marks surrounding him.

• Like 4

Giroud still banging them in Serie A, not sure if his contract is up but he'd still be ideal, nearly joined us in Jan 2020.

Could see Everton or Newcastle going for him if he wants to come back to premier league.

• Like 1