Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Not sure, under Gerrard we've beaten the vast majority of teams you'd expect us to beat.

A double v Brighton is pretty good when you consider they've beaten Arsenal and Spurs this season. We might also do the double over Palace who have also taken plenty of points off the top teams and also won very well against Southampton a few weeks after they went to Spurs and won.

Our issue is v top 8. Not so much playing well and narrowly losing v Liverpool but crumbling as soon as we go 2 down v Spurs and simple balls over the top exposes our backline. And then the average performances away to likes of West Ham and Wolves when they were both very beatable on the day.

Hopefully we'll be closer to those two next season as they should be weaker than last two seasons but then Newcastle will be stronger so it's never that simple.

I disagree on the weaker sides.

Absolutely a double over Brighton and Palace would be great. I wouldn't be complaining about those results in isolation. But those first two wins were backs to the wall, must-not-lose performances where we had hardly any ball and made less chances than the opposition.

It was the correct thing to do at the time, we had to stop losing and gain some points. Great. I think if we reproduce those types of performances every game, we will lose more than we win and fans will be disappointed in the intent shown.

Ultimately, I don't really care if we get good performances playing a 3-2-diamond-1 with reverse wingers and Emi Martinez up front. If Gerrard wants to do it, I hope we figure it out, play well and win games. I just don't believe that narrow formation will work for us long-term though, it has to be adjusted.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, useless said:

My concern with Phillips would be he wasn't very good before Bielsa went to Leeds and he hasn't been very good since he left, so makes one wonder if a lot of his success was down to how well he fitted into Bielsa's very specific system and regime, take him out of that well drilled system and maybe not the same player. I suppose the argument against that is that he's looked for England, but I personally didn't think he was as good as some made out, Rice was better and I would have started Bellingham ahead of Phillips.

Not saying he's a bad player, but I think there are questions marks surrounding him.

This is what I’m concerned about as well. Playing well under Bielsa could also have a lot to do with that manager’s extreme (and possibly harmful) fitness regime, and he was still a Bielsa fitness monster while playing for England last year. 

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

55 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Giroud still banging them in Serie A, not sure if his contract is up but he'd still be ideal, nearly joined us in Jan 2020.

Could see Everton or Newcastle going for him if he wants to come back to premier league.

i dont think he nearly joined us at all.

I think we made an enquiry and the response was prob something like "lol m8, you boys are prob going down and have a team full of wet daisies....no thnx".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would City sell Jesus?

If they did, how much do we reckon they would want?

They prob would.

I would guess 55-60m ish.

I would like him also...

I doubt he would want to come though.

Rumours say Arsenal have offered 42m, but City want more like 60m.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

They prob would.

I would guess 55-60m ish.

I would like him also...

I doubt he would want to come though.

Rumours say Arsenal have offered 42m, but City want more like 60m.

Well sod that pipe dream then... lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would City sell Jesus?

I think they’ll sell him, having just signed two strikers (Haaland and Alvarez). Around 60m, maybe slightly less?

The real surprise next season would be Alvarez outscoring Haaland btw. Could definitely see him as a more natural fit for Pep’s system.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would City sell Jesus?

His agent confirmed he's in talks with Arsenal, dependent on them getting top 4 though so we're some way off that signing.

I do wonder if Liverpool might decide to cash in on Firmino given he hasn't played much at all last two months yet they haven't really missed him.

Given he dosen't score much that signing could divide people but fits in with experience Gerrard wants and Coutinho would certainly be putting in a good word in their future Brazil meet ups.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

His agent confirmed he's in talks with Arsenal, dependent on them getting top 4 though so we're some way off that signing.

I do wonder if Liverpool might decide to cash in on Firmino given he hasn't played much at all last two months yet they haven't really missed him.

Given he dosen't score much that signing could divide people but fits in with experience Gerrard wants and Coutinho would certainly be putting in a good word in their future Brazil meet ups.

If i'm honest I haven't watched Firmino enough to even be sure what type of player he is.

I just know he used to have a knack of scoring massive goals, and obviously has pedigree.

What I mean is, is he more of a Watkins type, or Ings? What is his work rate and pressing like etc?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If i'm honest I haven't watched Firmino enough to even be sure what type of player he is.

I just know he used to have a knack of scoring massive goals, and obviously have pedigree.

What I mean is, is he more of a Watkins type, or Ings? What is his work rate and pressing like etc?

Really good, he's a proper link man who can drop off the CBs and create space for Salah and Mane to hit their 20 or 30 + goal seasons.

I think that type of forward would be a really good fit in our team given what we're going to go with next season and big doubts over our main two CFs in pushing us on.

Of course big debate is Firmino not scoring much himself but in this Liverpool team it's not essential.

He plays like Havertz does for Chelsea when they stick him at CF.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I agree we need 6

GK, LB, CB, ST, CM, CDM = 6

My shopping list would be...

Making Olsen a permanent signing  https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/robin-olsen/profil/spieler/75458
Sosa - Real competition with Digne https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/borna-sosa/profil/spieler/293194
Aarons - Real competition with Cash https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/max-aarons/profil/spieler/471690
Botman - Mings Replacement https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sven-botman/profil/spieler/361093
A right footed centre back to replace Konsa, there are loads who I like but I don't really know their prices and availability 
Koopmeiners as a new DM https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/teun-koopmeiners/profil/spieler/360518
Kamara as a new DM https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/boubacar-kamara/profil/spieler/394327

That is seven players, obviously two of them rely on our centre backs being sold.

I want to sell/release.....

As a certainty 

Young, Hourihane, AEG, Trez, Guilbert, Kalinic, Targett, Wesley, Davis, Steer

Dependant on signing a new deal 

Luiz, Chukwuemeka 

Dependant on signing a replacement 

Mings, Konsa

If the players signed a new contract I would sell

Nakamba, Sanson.

I would very seriously consider selling McGinn as I feel would could do without him if those players signed new deals and we signed those DM's.

One last thing with those two DM's the level of protection the backline would get would be unreal, both can play as a centre back and they even has opposite foots to each other.

Edited by paul514

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Really good, he's a proper link man who can drop off the CBs and create space for Salah and Mane to hit their 20 or 30 + goal seasons.

I think that type of forward would be a really good fit in our team given what we're going to go with next season and big doubts over our main two CFs in pushing us on.

Of course big debate is Firmino not scoring much himself but in this Liverpool team it's not essential.

He plays like Havertz does for Chelsea when they stick him at CF.

I think the issue is we don’t use wide men like Salah and mane. Say we’re using coutinho and Buendia and you’ve firmino up top himself I don’t see how it works. I think he’s great though 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think the issue is we don’t use wide men like Salah and mane. Say we’re using coutinho and Buendia and you’ve firmino up top himself I don’t see how it works. I think he’s great though 

Salah and Mane don’t play as wingers they play as inside forwards and Firminho doesn’t play as a striker but as a second striker.

He is basically a link up man with salah and mane running into centre forward positions 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Define much. He's still scoring at a very good rate for City, he just doesn't play that much for them due to rotation and their wealth of attacking options. He's easily a 10-15 goal player if he was the main man. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

"lol m8, you boys are prob going down and have a team full of wet daisies....no thnx"

'A source close to the player shared an insight into the player's thoughts on the bid from struggling Villa.'

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

Salah and Mane don’t play as wingers they play as inside forwards and Firminho doesn’t play as a striker but as a second striker.

He is basically a link up man with salah and mane running into centre forward positions 

It works because Salah and Mane are quick and like to play on the shoulders of the last defender. Firminho could drop deep and play the ball through to either of those players.

I’m not convinced it works with Coutinho or Buendia. Firminho would be dropping into the exact space that both Coutinho and Buendia want for themselves. If we were to sign Firminho it would work better with Watkins and Bailey on the wings as they’re more in the style of Salah/Mane ( although obviously nowhere near as good).

Basically I don’t see Firminho as someone we’d be interested in. Gerrard has never shown any intention of our attacking football relying on pacey inside forwards which is why Firminho was so effective at Liverpool. 

5 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Agree, he wouldn't work in our setup imo. We'd have no one running in behind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

It works because Salah and Mane are quick and like to play on the shoulders of the last defender. Firminho could drop deep and play the ball through to either of those players.

I’m not convinced it works with Coutinho or Buendia. Firminho would be dropping into the exact space that both Coutinho and Buendia want for themselves. If we were to sign Firminho it would work better with Watkins and Bailey on the wings as they’re more in the style of Salah/Mane ( although obviously nowhere near as good).

Basically I don’t see Firminho as someone we’d be interested in. Gerrard has never shown any intention of our attacking football relying on pacey inside forwards which is why Firminho was so effective at Liverpool. 

I’m not interested in him, wrong player.

I was merely replying to the post

7 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Define much. He's still scoring at a very good rate for City, he just doesn't play that much for them due to rotation and their wealth of attacking options. He's easily a 10-15 goal player if he was the main man. 

So, exactly the same as we have now?