Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just now, cheltenham_villa said:

I agree but at the same time you need to keep pace. In Jan we signed chambers and Coutinho. The transfer window spend has certainly dropped away. I've no issue with the club becoming more sustainable, it will be hard to marry up high expectations with low transfer spend though.

For sure - I just hope we have something big lined up. 

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Are they guilty of under investing in this window? Its a record breaking season for money spent and we seem to be behind some of our league rivals.

Yes. 

You sack Dean Smith because you want better. You talk about Europe and the Hugh ambition the club has. 

Yet this summer has not made the squad miles stronger than last year. 

52 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Let’s not forget the investment in January too. We shouldn’t let the big spending of other clubs mean we throw money around for the sake of it. 

It's not about throwing money for the sake of it. It's more that under Gerrard, we're already seeing teams overtake us. Then you've got the clubs we want to overtake getting stronger and stronger. 

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Are they guilty of under investing in this window? Its a record breaking season for money spent and we seem to be behind some of our league rivals.

No, as mentioned previously we cannot continue to stock pile players on high wages and not use them. Look at Man City and Liverpool’s benches and they don’t have as many first team players on there as us. It’s unsustainable to have Nakamba, El Ghazi, Sanson, Traore, Hause etc. on high wages who can’t even make the 20 (granted, some have now left). 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, birdistheword said:

No, as mentioned previously we cannot continue to stock pile players on high wages and not use them. Look at Man City and Liverpool’s benches and they don’t have as many first team players on there as us. It’s unsustainable to have Nakamba, El Ghazi, Sanson, Traore, Hause etc. on high wages who can’t even make the 20 (granted, some have now left). 

And we bought kamara and coutinho for a total of £14m, should be applauded

Seen this morning West ham fans moaning that Moyes won't know what to do with Paqueta so he's a waste of money or they change the manager 

Football fans 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

No running the club sustainably  isn’t and issue there’s a £15m midfielder not getting into the match day squad a £18m winger on loan in turkey and a £30m and record signing on the bench. Add the massive investment into the academy and literally none of them with a gateway to the first team. The tools are there we just haven’t got anybody competent to use them.

26 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

No running the club sustainably  isn’t and issue there’s a £15m midfielder not getting into the match day squad a £18m winger on loan in turkey and a £30m and record signing on the bench. Add the massive investment into the academy and literally none of them with a gateway to the first team. The tools are there we just haven’t got anybody competent to use them.

You might want to look up the definition of literally.

Because you’re quite clearly (and literally) wrong.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I personally think we are risking being left behind,  even wet spam have reported spent £180 million now.

We have been the biggest spenders outside the top 6 for the last few years and the result of that is three bottom half finishes. Spending money doesn't equate to success. Kamara is a 30-40m player we picked up for free and got Coutinho for 17m, which is decent value. 

two in every position, this is how I see the squad:

GK - Martinez, Olsen

LB - Digne, Augustinsson

RCB - Konsa, Chambers

LCB - Mings, Carlos

RB - Cash, Guilbert

DM - Kamara, Nakamba

LCM - McGinn, Ramsey

RCM - Luiz, Sanson

RAM / RW - Bailey, Buendia

LAM / LW - Coutinho, Young

ST - Watkins, Ings

In terms of essential squad surgery, I think we've got a good enough squad to go into the season with now. Sanson is a good player and could be a great option as a back-up / rotation for Luiz, we just need the manager to actually put them in the squad.

However, in my opinion, we still need a player we have needed longer than a good DM. We need a good LW player. We stuck Grealish out there for years when he could have been more effective in the middle, then we replaced him with a striker we didn't need and two RWs. However, Coutinho and Buendia need to both be in this side so I think Coutinho should play the LW role. 

That list is of 22 players obviously can be added to with more quality to make the 25 man squad. However, we currently have Archer, Steer and El Ghazi (just about) on the books who would need registering to play.

The other thing would be get Gakpo whilst discussing El Ghazi transfer with PSV. that would really add quality on that side and I'd be much more hopeful. Do a swap of Sanson for Aouar too and we'd be rocking. Just need to bin the manager.

I've just been going through the Under 21 squad and we also currently have Tyreik Wright and DJ Sturridge on the books. 

I've heard little to nothing about DJ Sturridge other than I think he's suffered from difficult injuries? And Wright has gone from club to club in league 2 struggling to get in the side. 

They're both too old now this season to be included in the squad as youth players, they would have to be registered in the 25 man squad. Surely they need moving on now.

We seem to be sitting on our hands and waiting for something to happen, as a football club. Yes, we have players that still need to be moved on (but, that shouldn't stop us making vital signings that are now needed), we may have an eye on FFP (but, it seems just now it's only us that do), we may have a stadium to improve (but, what really matters is what happens on the actual pitch) and the manager's future is in question (but, that's no reason for halting necessary spending). Our owners have financed signings in the January window and before this window actually opened, but there are players we could now buy that can help us out of the rut that we're now in. Time is fast running out, but at Villa Park:

so me and the boys were all like ... ...'it's all gone quiet over  there!...' - drunk baby 1 | Meme Generator  

• Like 1

With Gerrard's future hanging in the balance I don't think NSWE will give him any money...and it would seem the correct decision.

It seems fairly certain he will go now so it would be prudent for NSWE to allow a new manager to assess the squad and spend BIG in January.

I utter the immortal words: "We Go Again".

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

With Gerrard's future hanging in the balance I don't think NSWE will give him any money...and it would seem the correct decision.

It seems fairly certain he will go now so it would be prudent for NSWE to allow a new manager to assess the squad and spend BIG in January.

That’s not a bad thing,

hopefully Lange has a CB and CM aged around 25 lined up rather than some 29/30 year olds chasing their last contracts.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You might want to look up the definition of literally.

Because you’re quite clearly (and literally) wrong.

Does it matter? Master nitpicker

Edited by gwi1890

41 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

At some point we need to stop "going again" and I think NSWE need to back the club by making the loan/permanent signings we need now, rather than to let things stagnate until next year, it could be quite messy by then. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Does it matter? Master nitpicker

Well it’s just annoying isn’t it?

Yes, the Manager is struggling right now, struggling to find his best formation, personnel etc and in all likeliness I’d say he’s probably lost or is losing the dressing room.

It doesn’t mean everything about the club is shit. You say there’s no pathway for youth when we have Ramsey often in the starting XI with Archer and Iroegbanum on the bench, had Carney not pissed off he’d be included in that too I’m sure.

Just now, pas5898 said:

I wouldn't be giving Gerrard anymore money. See what happens in the next 4-6 games. It appears the more he spends the worse we get. 

We were at our best under Gerrard without "his" players.