Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

58 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Remember the days of morning about MON chucking away Champions League and finishing 6th 3 times in a row?

Yet we were still miserable? 🤣

If only we knew what was to come....

People complaining about getting Danny Ings now but we bought the youthful Emile Heskey to cure our goal drought and push us into the Champions league 🤣

• Haha 3

The defense is looking good. The midfield and forwards are nearly there.

I'd be happy finishing 8th or 9th. If we can get another midfielder in before end of window then we should be achieving this.

Then next summer we go all out for a world class striker and push for European places

7 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

We haven't finished as high as 10th in the PL since 2009/10. We are not drifting around 10th, it is an aspiration to break into the top 10 

2010/11 actually. And that is an epic failure on our part, this club used to finish top 10 virtually every season before 2011, if we didn't it usually ended in a manager's dismissal. Think of all the clubs that have finished in the top 10 since 2011 - Swansea, Stoke, Sheff U, Burnley, Southampton, Brighton, even Wet Bum finished top 10 twice in that time. It's ridiculous we've not been top 10 for so long at the expense of those clubs. I've supported this club since the mid 90s and every season for 15 years our aim was to finish in Europe (not just top 10) and most seasons we did finish around 6th, 7th, 8th. So yes top 10 will be an achievement of sorts I guess, but the investment is currently only enough to sneak top 10 in my view. If anything bad happens - injuries, Gerrard getting things wrong, Covid, signings not hitting top form immediately, etc - we could easily miss out again and finish bottom half. Surely the goal should be to invest at the very minimum what West Ham are investing if we want to get close to them and so far we haven't, their net spend this summer is around 100m whereas ours is 5m (or 30m if you include January). 

6 hours ago, Joshie2000 said:

In your opinion, and that's all it is, your stating like it's a fact. 

Opinions are like arseholes, we all have them and they stink, but we only like our own stink. 

I shall be behind the manager and players all season regardless, some have had a vendetta against the manager since he walked through the door, and would rather us fail so they can say they were right.

Of course it’s my opinion.  Why are people writing that so often against peoples posts when it’s obviously opinions

maybe some people have a vendetta against Gerrard for whatever reason but that’s one or two.  I have no vendetta against Gerrard, I’m not sure that relevant anyway it was about the quality of the first XI.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough.  I just can’t understand how anybody can feel underwhelmed right now. I’m really excited! 

Each to their own I guess. 

I’m excited too and you know what, I’d be delighted with upper mid table and a cup run. I think Gerrard would be too. I think Purslow let’s his mouth run away with him sometimes.

• Like 1

When it comes to summer transfer news. I think Luiz signing a new contract is all I want to hear. If we lose him to Milan for example are we really replacing him with a better player in the final few weeks of the window? Maybe if we get say Wijnaldum on loan for the season and revisit 8 next summer. 

But as we're trying to extend Luiz's stay it's clear the club would prefer to keep him than replace him. I'd love him to sign and see how he gets on at 8 for the season and how JJ responds to the challenge for first team place.

• Like 1

I read a lot of others saying that we should be grateful as to where we are now in comparison to where we were. I get the sentiment but that mentality will never drive ambitious improvement. 
Now, I’m not at all saying that our owners are not ambitious and fully appreciate how they have transformed us, however, it is now about ramping up the forward momentum and not reminiscing about ‘how far we’ve come’. 
In football, like business, it’s about timing and opportunity. I see this window as THE opportunity to take that next step. Teams around us have potentially stalled a bit, eg Leicester, Wolves, Brighton in addition to Newcastle not quite being at the stage yet where they can buy literally any player they want, due to their mid table position. We must take advantage of this opportunity and the timing could not be better financially following excellent FFP friendly sales in JG and CC. 
We all know we require a top quality no 8 as the current crop simply are not at that level and probably will never be (with the exception of JJ and his potential). I also accept the squad is large and in a ideal world we would sell before buying….but this is our best opportunity right now to really go for it as my fear is that this time next year will be too late and that the gap we are looking to bridge will just widen even more. 
Of course we need to recruit a better player than we already have but if anyone genuinely believes that there isn’t a better CM than McGinn or Luiz out there who would want a move to the PL then I respectfully disagree. 
This is the time and this is our perfect opportunity. Should we not recruit this Summer then I believe we will have made a serious error of judgement and missed a great opportunity. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Of course it’s my opinion.  Why are people writing that so often against peoples posts when it’s obviously opinions

maybe some people have a vendetta against Gerrard for whatever reason but that’s one or two.  I have no vendetta against Gerrard, I’m not sure that relevant anyway it was about the quality of the first XI.

I can only say my own impressions, but I said something similar the other day, and it's perhaps because of a lack of things like 'I think' and other language like that—and maybe moreso that a lot of the boldest, most subjective statements have the tone of being facts! (I think 😁)

Edited by Rolta

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

When it comes to summer transfer news. I think Luiz signing a new contract is all I want to hear. If we lose him to Milan for example are we really replacing him with a better player in the final few weeks of the window? Maybe if we get say Wijnaldum on loan for the season and revisit 8 next summer. 

But as we're trying to extend Luiz's stay it's clear the club would prefer to keep him than replace him. I'd love him to sign and see how he gets on at 8 for the season and how JJ responds to the challenge for first team place.

Wijnaldum off to Roma.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I agree. 

I do find the shift in tone quite amusing though. The 2020/21 season there seemed to be annoyance that Dean Smith wasn't having us up in a European fight and people acted like it was impending doom if we failed to get high in the league. 

Now it seems to be no rush and take our time and if we finish top 10 then great. 

Went back and had a look yesterday so my memory was correct. We were supposed to challenge for Europe because Sheff Utd and Wolves were.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villaslash said:

People complaining about getting Danny Ings now but we bought the youthful Emile Heskey to cure our goal drought and push us into the Champions league 🤣

Then McLeish played him as a left winger!

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I agree. 

I do find the shift in tone quite amusing though. The 2020/21 season there seemed to be annoyance that Dean Smith wasn't having us up in a European fight and people acted like it was impending doom if we failed to get high in the league. 

Now it seems to be no rush and take our time and if we finish top 10 then great. 

Yep big reason Smith got the boot was after that run it was deemed no chance for top 8 now, underperforming with a good enough squad etc.

If Gerrard benefits from some more realistic expectations and the result is stable management and progress up the table then that's a good thing for us now. Harsh on Smith that it didn't happen in time for him but still, if we've got hopes more in line with reality we'll be a lot happier...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yep big reason Smith got the boot was after that run it was deemed no chance for top 8 now, underperforming with a good enough squad etc.

If Gerrard benefits from some more realistic expectations and the result is stable management and progress up the table then that's a good thing for us now. Harsh on Smith that it didn't happen in time for him but still, if we've got hopes more in line with reality we'll be a lot happier...

Not really harsh on Smith given he was averaging a point a game for something stupid like 35 games. And  Gerrard will likewise be judged on results, there's no favoritism.

• Like 2