Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

One of Ings/Watkins will be sold on deadline day imo if we're seriously in for a striker imo.

Think this is probably Gerrard giving trusted journalists permission to start floating in the press we're after another CF to put our senior ones on probation a little bit.

If they're still falling over their feet from six yards v likes of Bournemouth/Everton that dosen't really suggest they're going to fire us into europe anytime soon.

Ings will not be sold, he’s just been given the no. 9! Shirt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Another option would be to sign someone that can play both as a wide forward and through middle.

Called Leon Bailey isn't he? Traore could also do that if he wasn't on the naughty step but you never know, lack of offers and he might still be re-integrated into first team squad at later date.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, useless said:

If we buy a forward I don't think it will be an out and out striker, more a replacment for Chukwuemeka, who wasn't a forward as such but would have been used as No.10, and given he's gone, and El Ghazi and Traore look they will be leaving in one way or another we're short in that area, whereas we're not short of central strikers with Archer staying, Ings being given the No.9 shirt, and Watkins won't be leaving.

Essentially I think the forward if we sign one will be a young replacement for Chukwuemeka, someone that won't be expecting to play every week, as we don't need to replace Coutinho, Buendia, or Bailey, but an highly rated younger player that can come in as a prospect but still good enough to be a squad member and play when needed.

Connor Gallagher? Although I’d expect him to play pretty regularly. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Another option would be to sign someone that can play both as a wide forward and through middle.

Give me Nkunku god damn it.

Before everyone states it…..I know he’s signed a new contract with Leipzig, would cost a gazillion pounds and is PSG/Real Madrid bound….I can dream though

2 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I disagree with that. Our goal should be to invest in the right players at Villa to bring Villa forward. We got Kamara on a free and they are signing Onana for 33.5m, I much prefer Kamara to Onana

I agree with this, but I also think the fact we got Kamara on a free and Coutinho and Carlos so cheap (below their market values) means there should be plenty of money for us to go and strengthen further.

Anyway the article in the Telegraph by Percy seems quite encouraging that at least one other player may be coming in so let's wait and see. 

I get the impression Gerrard likes toying with the media. Does this, coupled to the fact that our record transfer is only 30 odd million for Emi, mean he’s going to drop a bomb and we go big on a CM and ST this window? It would certainly be a statement if we did, especially with the negativity around losing Carney (even though we did get a great deal for him). 

35 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, I can't see us getting another striker without Ollie or Ings leaving. I would like to see if we could cash in on Ollie and get an upgrade.

The thing is who might cash in for Watkins now? I’m not following other clubs transfers but who seem to need a striker? Arsenal already got Jesus.

45 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

It’s almost a situation where if we’re doing well, say around sixth then we might be an attractive proposition for Poch, but under those circumstances the job won’t be available. If we’re struggling similarly to how we were last season, then there’s a good chance we may be looking for a change but we wouldn’t be such a good proposition. 

I think we all need to hope that SG does well and has a great season. Because another poor season would mean we’d had three poor seasons out of four and that starts to look like a club problem regardless of the manager. The PL is a constant slog, no matter how good the team is. We need to start the battle on day one and keep our foot hard on the gas until game number 38. We won’t win all 38 but it would be nice and necessary to at least try to. 

I think Gerrard is still learning his trade and knows that. The one thing we can almost certainly guarantee is that he won’t stop trying and he won’t expect his players to be any different. Anyone that’s not onboard with this attitude won’t be around long. I’m not particularly taking sides or are ITK, but the speed at which the Chuck problem became someone else’s problem would suggest he’s not here for an easy ride, for himself or anyone else. Saundersesque as @TRO would say. 

One thing amongst many in management is......be decisive.

44 minutes ago, useless said:

Is there not a thread for discussing where we should be finishing this is the transfer thread Percy has said we're still in for a 'No.8' and possibly a striker, which is as close to as confirmation as we will get.

are you on commisssion only?

• Haha 1

I'm excited for the season as I'm sure many are, I just think quite a lot of fans, including myself, think we're frustratingly close to a complete competitive squad.
A prolific striker and a quality box to box midfielder would as near as can be expected complete our squad for this season.

As it stands, it's probably a smidge light in the right quality for top 8. Two more class players would change that picture. But I'm loving seeing the better kids coming through and there's at least 5 that could figure in a few games this season.

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Of course it’s my opinion.  Why are people writing that so often against peoples posts when it’s obviously opinions

maybe some people have a vendetta against Gerrard for whatever reason but that’s one or two.  I have no vendetta against Gerrard, I’m not sure that relevant anyway it was about the quality of the first XI.

I think the quality has improved, I like others would love 1 maybe 2 more quality signings to come in, but if the quality isn't there we don't need to buy just for the sake of it anymore, we had a few players that under performed last season, if they do again I think they'll be gone. 

Both Ollie and Ings need to step up and deliver goals as well as assists, as I think countinho, buendia and Bailey can all get 10 + goals next season. If not more. 

I can't wait for Saturday, but we need to go out to win as. I feel Bournemouth are there for the taking and we should have to much for them. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

A presentation.. How lovely.

I'm hoping it was a presentation on how Tarkowski isn't fit to hold Carlos's Caipirinha while he goes for a wazz.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

The thing is who might cash in for Watkins now? I’m not following other clubs transfers but who seem to need a striker? Arsenal already got Jesus.

I can't see anyone giving us the money we want for Ollie, I assume we would not accept less than 35m so that limits the number of clubs. It would be Leicester, Saints or Brighton imo. Leicester appear to have no appetite to spend and 35m would be too much for the others. Maybe an outside chance of Newcastle but other than that I think Ollie is ours for another year at least. Ings could maybe get a bid of circa 20m which would open it up to more clubs but then wages become a problem