Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Has anyone watched De Tomas? If so, any good? 

Honestly not watched a whole lot, he's been playing in Portugal and in the second division in Spain so the only games I've seen him is pretty much in the ones against Real, Barca and Betis. Espanyol didn't have much of the ball those times.

Did watch all 4 games he featured for Spain and he was OK. It might be their weakest position but you still gotta be pretty good to get into the Spain team. He's had 2 very good seasons in a row but one of them was in the second division so hard to say.

From the limited amount I've seen he looks like an intelligent player who's pretty good at most things but not fantastic at any. Stuff like reading the game and intelligent movement and ball handling/technique I'd say he's probably better than what we have. Would probably help us keeping the ball higher up the pitch which is something we need. He's a Real Madrid product so he's learned the right stuff.

Honestly not sure he's a guy that would transform us but a nice to have perhaps. You never know with attackers, it could click and he could be fantastic

• Thanks 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

The top 6 managers are looking more secure now than they have in a very long time imo. 

IMO the only ones that are secure are City, Liverpool and Spurs. Tuchel will be under serious pressure this season, I can see the new owners pulling the trigger if they are off the pace.  United will give Ten Hag time, and who knows with Arsenal they seem to stick with Arteta no matter how crap they are.

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

That's the hope and his character does suggest that he will do everything he possibly can to make it work. I just hope he is able to deliver. It would be great to go into a game and not be wondering which Villa side is going to show up today. I am looking forward to going into games I expect to win and having a relaxing afternoon / evening watching us get a straightforward professional win with no squeaky bum feelings 

As Gerrard has said, "let's expense with the excuses". Only weak teams  offer excuses for defeats. I think Carlos will become another of those Holte- End, centre- half legends. He has a presence about him and that is something we have missed on the defensive side of things, imo. Listen, the proof of the pudding and all that - but I'm pretty confident my weekends won't be so miserable this season. 

• Like 4

I dont care about a striker right now , we just lost carney the player i had held in great regard, yes he hasn’t don’t anything or shall i say didnt , but he had huge potential to have shown that in months to come, now while i hope he rots on the bench at chelski, we need to sign an absolute monster and wizard of a central midfielder to cushion the blow.

I understand carney and his agent wanted the move so im not going to blame the club for that part, the lack of minutes or salary being the problem im not sure which one but anyway as a club we move on but I expect a statement of intent signing to come through the door and not just settling with the same old mcginn, ramsey and luiz club to do wonders and get someone IN!!!

Edited by RicRic
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'd take a bet with anyone that Gerrard will still be here come the end of the season. He is far too driven to fail in being able to get us in the top 10. I wouldn't be surprised if we finish top 8.

ditto

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't see the Utd or Chelsea jobs coming available to quite some time. They both have very good managers and I expect them to be safe. I see no reason why MoPo would go to Toon over us.

I can think of 1 reason! 

spacer.png

• Like 1

If we buy a forward I don't think it will be an out and out striker, more a replacment for Chukwuemeka, who wasn't a forward as such but would have been used as No.10, and given he's gone, and El Ghazi and Traore look they will be leaving in one way or another we're short in that area, whereas we're not short of central strikers with Archer staying, Ings being given the No.9 shirt, and Watkins won't be leaving.

Essentially I think the forward if we sign one will be a young replacement for Chukwuemeka, someone that won't be expecting to play every week, as we don't need to replace Coutinho, Buendia, or Bailey, but an highly rated younger player that can come in as a prospect but still good enough to be a squad member and play when needed.

12 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I dont care about a striker right now , we just lost carney the player i had held in great regard, yes he hasn’t don’t anything or shall i say didnt , but he had huge potential to have shown that in months to come,  now while i hope he rots on the bench at chelski, we need to sign an absolute monster and wizard of a central midfielder to cushion the blow, I understand carney and his agent wanted the move so im not going to blame the club for that part, the lack of minutes or salary being the problem im not sure which one but anyway as a club we move on but I expect a statement of intent signing to come through the door and not just settling with the same old mcginn, ramsey and luiz club to do wonders and get someone IN!!!

That’s one long ass sentence 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Newcastle have unlimited funds, they might not be that much more attractive than us at the minute, but you'd be naive to think they aren't going to eventually attract elite managers and players

6 into 4 doesn't go, two of the big 6 will miss out on CL. If United or Chelsea are sitting outside the top 4 come the World Cup, there is a good chance they'll sack their manager,  United might give Ten Hag a bit more time as he is new.  But Poch isn't going to jump the gun and take the Villa job, if there is a chance one of big 6 jobs becomes available, even if he has to wait until next summer.

It’s almost a situation where if we’re doing well, say around sixth then we might be an attractive proposition for Poch, but under those circumstances the job won’t be available. If we’re struggling similarly to how we were last season, then there’s a good chance we may be looking for a change but we wouldn’t be such a good proposition. 

I think we all need to hope that SG does well and has a great season. Because another poor season would mean we’d had three poor seasons out of four and that starts to look like a club problem regardless of the manager. The PL is a constant slog, no matter how good the team is. We need to start the battle on day one and keep our foot hard on the gas until game number 38. We won’t win all 38 but it would be nice and necessary to at least try to. 

I think Gerrard is still learning his trade and knows that. The one thing we can almost certainly guarantee is that he won’t stop trying and he won’t expect his players to be any different. Anyone that’s not onboard with this attitude won’t be around long. I’m not particularly taking sides or are ITK, but the speed at which the Chuck problem became someone else’s problem would suggest he’s not here for an easy ride, for himself or anyone else. Saundersesque as @TRO would say. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, useless said:

If we buy a forward I don't think it will be an out and out striker, more a replacment for Chukwuemeka, who wasn't a forward as such but would have been used as No.10, and given he's gone, and El Ghazi and Traore look they will be leaving in one way or another we're short in that area, whereas we're not short of central strikers with Archer staying, Ings being given the No.9 shirt, and Watkins won't be leaving.

Essentially I think the forward if we sign one will be a young replacement for Chukwuemeka, someone that won't be expecting to play every week, as we don't need to replace Coutinho, Buendia, or Bailey, but an highly rated younger player that can come in as a prospect but still good enough to be a squad member and play when needed.

I think the opposite, we have plenty of number 10’s even with Carney gone.  I think if they bring in a forward it will be an upgrade or at least a starter for the central striking role.  I’m not sure we are specifically looking to replace Carney, we are looking for 1st team starters in the CM and CF roles.  Carney had huge potential but was way down the pecking order at the moment for starting and sub use.

• Like 3

One of Ings/Watkins will be sold on deadline day imo if we're seriously in for a striker imo.

Think this is probably Gerrard giving trusted journalists permission to start floating in the press we're after another CF to put our senior ones on probation a little bit.

If they're still falling over their feet from six yards v likes of Bournemouth/Everton that dosen't really suggest they're going to fire us into europe anytime soon.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

One of Ings/Watkins will be sold on deadline day imo if we're seriously in for a striker imo.

Think this is probably Gerrard giving trusted journalists permission to start floating in the press we're after another CF to put our senior ones on probation a little bit.

If they're still falling over their feet from six yards v likes of Bournemouth/Everton that dosen't really suggest they're going to fire us into europe anytime soon.

Yeah, I can't see us getting another striker without Ollie or Ings leaving. I would like to see if we could cash in on Ollie and get an upgrade.

We don't have plenty of No.10s, presuming Traore and El Ghazi are out of picture, then that just leaves Bailey, Buendia, and Coutinho, that's three players for two positions, if two of them were to get injured we would be short, short of playing someone out of positon.

Whereas for the central striker we have three players for one position, unless Ingsy being given the No.9 is a red herring.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

We don't have plenty of No.10s, presuming Traore and El Ghazi are out of picture, then that just leaves Bailey, Buendia, and Coutinho, that's three players for two positions, if two of them were to get injured we would be short, short of playing someone out of positon.

Whereas for the central striker we have three players for one position, unless Ingsy being given the No.9 is a red herring.

Depends structure of midfield but think Ramsey would be credible option as number 10, he can do all the sort Gallagher was doing for Palace in that advanced role with less defensive responsibility.

Last season we had the luxury of alternating between Coutinho and Bunedia for last two months. Add in Bailey being a must start given his pre season and we're fine. That's without not factoring in another stretch of games where Gerrard will play two strikers together.

Just now, useless said:

Depending how you play the 10 role as Ings and Watkins can play it and Gerrard seems to play Ings and Watkins half the time together.  

We don’t know the situation with Traore either to assume he’s going is presumptive.  

We have even only played with one No.10 a number of times in preseason with Coutinho behind the strikers and Buendia on the bench….it’s been one of the big criticisms of Gerrard that Buendia isn’t played much.

Additional to that imo we have an issue we our strikers where we don’t with our No.10’s.  So it’s not just about quantity but quality/right fit/upgrade.

The rumours anyway are CF, literally centre forward, not No.10 or wide forward and while a No.10  is CF technically it is called No.10 these days whereas CF is seen as the striker role.