Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I want another player, I would be happy to see 2 or 3 new quality signings. But that is the football fan in me. I am trying to be realistic with what makes sense for the club 

My point is why isn’t it realistic and why doesn’t it make sense?  I feel it does.  We have the money, we have the FFP room, Gerrard has the pull, Purslow/Lange negotiate, there is time in the window, we have the need and there are players out there we can get.  I don’t understand why it isn’t realistic or doesn’t make sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

By the same means we are saying we are most likely to finish 10th and not higher.  I suppose putting it another way it’s the difference between challenging hard for 7th and ending up 10th is acceptable compared to just floating around 10th all season, which while acceptable just isn’t what anybody at the club is looking for.

This is how I interpreted Steven Gerrards comments. 

• Like 2

My point is why isn’t it realistic and why doesn’t it make sense?  I feel it does.  We have the money, we have the FFP room, Gerrard has the pull, Purslow/Lange negotiate, there is time in the window, we have the need and there are players out there we can get.  I don’t understand why it isn’t realistic or doesn’t make sense.

We may have the FFP room to buy players now but it will impact our spending next year. We need to keep money for that and we also need to plan for a potential change in manager this season (not saying it will happen but I would be shocked if Purslow isn't budgeting it), the associated costs and the new transfer budget for the replacement 

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree with the point on loans becoming permanent.

I suspect like most fans I would like to see more quality signings. But every year it is the same, we just need one or two more to make the next step up. The fan in me wants to see us sign Sangare and a striker and another attacking midfield. However, I try to keep my self in the real world and take each window as a gradual improvement. When I look back year on year since NSWE bought us I am very very happy with what is happen to our squad 

I am very happy with NSWE and the progress we have made but I just always feel we don't quite do enough. Yes we are in a miles better position than most clubs and that is something to be proud of but I also wish we would just go for it and really show the ambition we need to mix it up with the top 7. 

I just feel it's a journey that is taking a while and I'm unsure if we'll ever make the destination if we just keep making minimum progress. 

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

New starting striker, new starting CB, new CM who will definitely play quite a few games and offer stiff competition. All signings at a good age too and not yet hit their peak. 

Definitely done better than us I feel and were already ahead of us given they've finished several places ahead of us the last 2 seasons. Funny why a lot of their fans were slagging off the owners as they seem to be investing a fair bit of money down there season after season.

It looks like they’ve had a good window but we’ll never know until we actually see how these players settle. Same with us to be fair. 

I remember the pre-season they signed Haller and Fornals then Bowen in January.  They spent most of the season battling relegation along with us.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Players might buy into a medium - longer term project.

Doesn't necessarily expect us to be Champions League the following season, unless they are a bit dense.

Any smart player would look at the squad, see what we are building and where we are aiming to be, but know it's a marathon not a sprint.

Or in our case, a power walk... with our ambitious owners lol.

I highly doubt Guimares , Trippier and Botman joined Newcastle thinking they would win the League this season, for example.

Some players, just like Managers can be sold the chance to be the nucleus of an exciting " project ". Especially for nice wads of cash.

Nobody said champions league but with all the likely offers Kamara got do you think he would’ve been enticed moving from his club to a team 14th to then go 10th….no chance.  The project would’ve been sold of fighting for European place surely.  A quality player like Kamara who would’ve had CL offers wouldn’t want a couple of seasons outside of European football, just not going to be a starter for the negotiations we had with him especially with him a newly capped french international.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I am very happy with NSWE and the progress we have made but I just always feel we don't quite do enough. Yes we are in a miles better position than most clubs and that is something to be proud of but I also wish we would just go for it and really show the ambition we need to mix it up with the top 7. 

I just feel it's a journey that is taking a while and I'm unsure if we'll ever make the destination if we just keep making minimum progress. 

I think we will be really pushing at the top 7 and potentially a break into the top 4/5 (with lots of luck) the season after next

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fans can feel how they want.  Anyone feeling underwhelmed is acting abit entitled imo.

I’d be very happy with top 10. For me that’s ambitious enough considering it’s something we haven’t managed in over 10 years !

I also don’t give a shit about Newcastle either. 

I think that the point that’s been made is that the club have made a lot of noise about their ambitions of Europe, selling projects to players etc but then whilst the additions we’ve made to last seasons squad are good, they’re not going to propel us up the table significantly. That’s where the underwhelming feeling comes in…windows not over yet tho.

• Like 4

We may have the FFP room to buy players now but it will impact our spending next year.

What’s happening next year? Surely utilising money now to be better placed in the league, maybe European football is better plus it takes time for players to settle, another year under the belt of a player brought now.  I don’t get waiting a year if there is a chance now.

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This is how I interpreted Steven Gerrards comments. 

Yeah but we currently look like drifting around 10th than challenging for 7th and ending 10th

What’s happening next year? Surely utilising money now to be better placed in the league, maybe European football is better plus it takes time for players to settle, another year under the belt of a player brought now.  I don’t get waiting a year if there is a chance now.

Money spent is guaranteed to be on our accounts. New revenue through European qualification is not guaranteed and carries high risk

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think in the last 5 seasons with have the 4th or 5th highest net spend in the league and that includes a season in the Championship. I have no idea how much our wage bill has risen but I bet it’s massive. We’ve spent shit loads on signing young talent from across the country  and also a lot of money on training facilities. 

If all that is the minimum progress then I don’t know what to say. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

If Villa fans are feeling underwhelmed by this window then I am assuming they are new fans or ones returning after decades of being away. Because I havent seen our club in such a healthy and exciting position since MON left, possibly further.

40 years plus here and that’s the issue, our club is in great position with the owners, infrastructure, youth….everything……..everything but on the pitch.  You can have a dig but some of us think we are missing just a bit.

• Like 4

Just now, nick76 said:

Yeah but we currently look like drifting around 10th than challenging for 7th and ending 10th

We haven't finished as high as 10th in the PL since 2009/10. We are not drifting around 10th, it is an aspiration to break into the top 10 

6 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think that the point that’s been made is that the club have made a lot of noise about their ambitions of Europe, selling projects to players etc but then whilst the additions we’ve made to last seasons squad are good, they’re not going to propel us up the table significantly. That’s where the underwhelming feeling comes in…windows not over yet tho.

Fair enough.  I just can’t understand how anybody can feel underwhelmed right now. I’m really excited! 

Each to their own I guess. 

• Like 2

40 years plus here and that’s the issue, our club is in great position with the owners, infrastructure, youth….everything……..everything but on the pitch.  You can have a dig but some of us think we are missing just a bit.

Its all good mate! All legit opinions! I am all sunshine and roses! But we will all find out in a few days how good we really are!

• Like 1

Money spent is guaranteed to be on our accounts. New revenue through European qualification is not guaranteed and carries high risk

Very true but you’re saying don’t spend money because we might not do well.  That’s feeling defeated before you start surely.  I don’t want to go for that job interview because I might not get it, I don’t want to ask that girl out because she might say no….