Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

If we are going to sign a striker.....it needs to be someone who is significantly more clinical than Danny or Ollie.

At present their ratio's are good, not great, but ok c 2.8:1.....anywhere between 2-3 is ok......c 2 is prolific....but is only a general thumb rule.

For me, there is no point in signing players no better......We have Cam who's record in lower level football is impressive, maybe we use him as a challenge to Ollie and Danny.

I read some of the links to foreign strikers and I am not filled with confidence, they will be any better.

I am still a believer, that TEAMS score goals in the main, strikers just finish off the moves....I don't say "just" lightly though.

It would be nice to have a striker, who can score, when we need one....hard to get.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

On talk of clinical strikers, when Callum Wilson is fit, he is pretty lethal, for that reason, I hope he breaks a little toe or two..

Is he? 

Nearly a third of his Newcastle goals have been penalties. Ollie has just 2 for us

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Very cryptic from SG, it's clear that we are still looking for players to improve the first team, but not necessarily this window.

Which means we won't just sign sub-standard players for the sake of it.

Look at what we did at backup left back. We needed someone there, and whilst we wanted a young up and coming quality player, they didn't want to come this year because they knew Digne was first choice. Rather than force the issue by signing on a permanent the first player who would agree to those terms, they made a good little cheap loan signing to solve the immediate problems but still keep our options open long term.

Everyone wants everything right now, it's the nature of things. But being in this position where we are being choosy, patient and shrewd in our targets is only a good thing in my eyes.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

If we are going to sign a striker.....it needs to be someone who is significantly more clinical than Danny or Ollie.

At present their ratio's are good, not great, but ok c 2.8:1.....anywhere between 2-3 is ok......c 2 is prolific....but is only a general thumb rule.

For me, there is no point in signing players no better......We have Cam who's record in lower level football is impressive, maybe we use him as a challenge to Ollie and Danny.

I read some of the links to foreign strikers and I am not filled with confidence, they will be any better.

I am still a believer, that TEAMS score goals in the main, strikers just finish off the moves....I don't say "just" lightly though.

It would be nice to have a striker, who can score, when we need one....hard to get.

I totally agree, we need to get better ball around and into the opposition box more frequently and then we can choose from three decent strikers to either put it into the net or free up space for attacking midfielders to have more shots on target.

As you say TRO it comes down to the "TEAM" and imo our team is one player short of considerably increasing the number of our key goal threats. 

A top quality disciplined CM partner for Kamara is more important than another striker at this moment in time. Without that CM any incoming striker would still suffer from the breakdown in service through constant wayward passing. Needlessly giving the ball away killed us last season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wes said:

Which means we won't just sign sub-standard players for the sake of it.

Look at what we did at backup left back. We needed someone there, and whilst we wanted a young up and coming quality player, they didn't want to come this year because they knew Digne was first choice. Rather than force the issue by signing on a permanent the first player who would agree to those terms, they made a good little cheap loan signing to solve the immediate problems but still keep our options open long term.

Everyone wants everything right now, it's the nature of things. But being in this position where we are being choosy, patient and shrewd in our targets is only a good thing in my eyes.

Agreed. Very similar to Klopp when he arrived at Liverpool. He knew what he wanted - Keita, VVD and Allison - and was prepared to wait.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I would be more focused on upgrading Bertie, so we have four decent options for the inside forward roles, especially now we are moving to five subs. When he's on he's fantastic but he's far too inconsistent. 

Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey + 1 with Ollie, Ings, Cam and Davis (I would keep him because I think he gives an option we don't have and could be used more frequently with five subs) gives us decent options to flex/rotate/sub.

I wouldn't be averse to another striker though as getting Cam back out on loan where he would play 30+ games wouldn't hurt at all. I am not sure many would be an upgrade on Watkins (who I really like and think he is harshly judged) and Ings but would allow us to rotate and flex our play.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Very cryptic from SG, it's clear that we are still looking for players to improve the first team, but not necessarily this window.

I’d say it’s clear that we have ambitions still in this window but that securing our top targets may be tough.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

We have targets for this window for sure but that might be influenced by external factors. So, if the right deal comes up, we will action it. We’ve seen how quickly we’ve brought in the likes of Calum and Ludwig. 

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Not much we can do.  We can't cave into to every demand from a youth player, need to put the foot down at some stage and show youth players they can't demand what they want no matter how good they are. 

Our youth system is the best it's ever been, I think Carney will quickly be forgotten as soon as a new player bursts onto the scene.

From what I have seen he is an "8" and not a "10".  He moves well with the ball at his feet and is powerful for his age but he also looks off it/a bit sluggish defensively - a key area that he is going to need to get better at if he is going to make it at the top level. He looks like he has potential but is way off the level that, say, JJ is achieving at the minute (I accept that he is a couple of years older) and he still has a lot of development left as well to really be the player we all hope he can become.

I can't see anybody at PL or big club level paying £20m for him but I also can't see anybody giving him the money he appears to be asking for or the guarantees over playing time that he wants.  He must have looked around that England U-19s side and noticed that he had more PL game time than any of them. I don't blame him for pushing for as much of a commitment as he can get but I can't see a better home for him at the minute than Aston Villa. Let's hope that common sense kicks in and he signs a new contract and knuckles down to follow in jj's footsteps.

7 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

I don't see why they wouldn't say despite. Watkins and Ings cost £60m and have overall been more good than not so it would be a surprise if we went big on a striker. Maybe there's a case for a third challenger if Archer goes out on loan but he looks ready to play a role to me. 

Because “overall more good than not” is amazing in the Premier League, but still not good enough to reach Europe? That’s my humble, often misinformed  perspective, anyway.