Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

We have just brought Carlos in. Also Mings, Chambers and Konsa are good enough for a europa league/conference team. West Ham and Leicester don't have significantly better CBs and both have finished in European places in recent seasons. 

Yep, the place that needs addressing is midfield 

Same as its been every summer since promotion 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What happens if the replacement(s) only score the same amount leading to the January window - do we look to replace players each summer after one indifferent season ?

Hard to say what will happen a year and a half away in a hypothetical scenario.

Fwiw I don't feel it would be a disaster to go into the season with Ings, Watkins and Archer as our striker options. Should be good enough to fight for 10th-7th or so if the midfield starts to chip in with goals again.

Equally I would not be against upgrading on either of them.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I can’t think of anyone who we can realistically sign who’s a genuine upgrade on the two. Strikers cost an absolute fortune too. I think the thought process will be sorting the defence and midfield and giving Ollie and Ings another season 

The snip bits we get from apparent sources at the club suggest one of the positions Gerrard wants to buy is a striker (along with another midfielder and back up left back) so while we can’t take any of that as definite it suggests we may be in for one.  

We may not know who could be an upgrade but I expect the club to have an upgrade list for most positions if those players become available and we have a realistic chance of getting them.  An example was Digne was an upgrade on Targett yet before the January transfer window nobody would’ve thought of him available or gettable.

Not saying it’s going to happen but at the same time neither Watkins or Ings covered themselves in glory under Gerrard’s tenure.

9 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Interesting one this. In my schooldays I played “inside centre” but that was in Rugby Union Football not Association Football.😉

Yes, I believe there's also an 'inside center' in American Football, it may just be that this particular teacher was more a follower of rugby than football and got confused. 34 years it's been bugging me...

I'm not sure we are too desperate to upgrade the forward position, I expect better from both Watkins and Ings next season as both are clearly capable, but if a big offer came in for either of them and we had a clear upgrade lined up then I'm sure it would be considered.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What happens if the replacement(s) only score the same amount leading to the January window - do we look to replace players each summer after one indifferent season ?

That would be a failure of recruitment and / or coaching. And no, you'd give it the whole season most likely.

If we're sure Watkins is going to start burying more of his chances then by all means stick as we are. I don't know why that would be the conclusion though.

• Like 1

I’d be happy if we just upgraded Watkins and brought in a backup left back now.

I’d also not lose sleep over seeing the following all leaving permanently if possible, or out on loan:

(In no particular order)

Trezeguet

El Ghazi

Traore

Ings

Guilbert

Hause

Steer

Kalinic 

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

I’d also not lose sleep over seeing the following all leaving permanently if possible, or out on loan:

(In no particular order)

Trezeguet

El Ghazi

Traore

Ings

Guilbert

Hause

Steer

Kalinic 

If you're replacing Watkins and not adding to him, you most certainly cannot sell Ings as well. Going into a PL season with a new striker and a youth option is total madness. 

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

If you're replacing Watkins and not adding to him, you most certainly cannot sell Ings as well. Going into a PL season with a new striker and a youth option is total madness. 

I think he's suggesting we keep Watkins, get a "better" striker and sell Ings.

I think.

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Maybe Gerrard has assessed both of them and don’t think they are what he needs.  

As for indifferent season, Watkins had one good season and one indifferent season.  Was he a one season wonder or Jack made him look better than he actual is like Jack did for Targett.  Or was last season just an off season with early injury in preseason, change of manager and loss of key creative player and it’s taken him time to adjust.

If we got a big bid for him I wouldn’t be adverse to selling him, not convinced he can take us to the next level.

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

One thing with Ings is it seems like he's underachieving, but he might just have reverted to the mean, because his last couple of seasons with Soton some of the goals he was knocking in were more like quarter chances than half chances, like a score one in ten/15 of those but he was knocking in every one. That was never going to continue

Very much this.

2019-20: 25 goals on 16.7 xG
2020-21: 13 goals on 8.3 xG
2021-22: 7 goals on 7.3 xG

We bought high.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

(In no particular order)

Trezeguet

El Ghazi

Traore

Ings

Guilbert

Hause

Steer

Kalinic 

Agree with this apart from Ings. Wouldn’t be too concerned if he stayed. I think he will score a lot of goals next season.

1 minute ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Very much this.

2019-20: 25 goals on 16.7 xG
2020-21: 13 goals on 8.3 xG
2021-22: 7 goals on 7.3 xG

We bought high.

I may be reading this wrong but doesn’t it suggest he wasn’t getting enough chances last season rather than missing chances ?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I may be reading this wrong but doesn’t it suggest he wasn’t getting enough chances last season rather than missing chances ?

No, it means he overperformed expectations based on the chances he had the last two seasons, and this year he performed to what was expected of the chances he got. Yes, it would help if he had more chances, but 25 goals on 16.7 xG is a wild overperformance that very few players in the world can maintain, if any.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Watkins scored 6 in 2022 and Ings 4. That's pretty dismal.

Happily upgrade on either of them.

Almost the whole team and the manager were so bad as the season ended.

If Pocc is available and interested, swiftly replacing the manager would be a great move if we start badly.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Almost the whole team and the manager were so bad as the season ended.

If Pocc is available and interested, swiftly replacing the manager would be a great move if we start badly.

Poch will be available very soon, but will he still be available come Oct/Nov?  We would need to get off to a very bad start for SG to be shown the door.

4 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

If those two clubs are interested in our two forwards, does it suggest that they see something in them, that some of us don't. I wouldn't really want to sell to either of these clubs (they might be in and around where we will be next season, or at least in one of those cases and we don't want to help a club we may be directly competing with). If they are actually interested I would adopt the Daniel Levy/Brentford attitude to the price we would quote them, or suggest we might be interested if they thrown in Phillips or Bamford;) and Ronaldo/Fernandez. 

Edited by John

18 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I didn’t say I wanted to sell Watkins, I want to upgrade him with Watkins as the backup.

• Like 1