Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

We have according to something I saw t’other day - the 10th most valuable squad in the league - and we are finishing broadly in the middle give or take a couple of points. No surprises here. Obvs Everton have blazed the way in defying this ratio - but I’m pretty confident another big spend this summer will see us top 8 minimum. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Finishing 14th won’t help with negotiations. 

We are in a far stronger position to offer higher wages now we are a fully established league team. That was a major barrier we had coming up compared to other established teams in the league. A lot of potential players aren’t going to be looking at the table and changing their minds I’m sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Finishing 14th won’t help with negotiations. 

Absolutely. The last couple of games (plus some obvious outliers this season - Watford twice!) have cost us a a easy top 10 finish. 
We've got Gerrard, Coutinho and a few others who will help attract players - but the 14th hurts.

I'm optimistic about the summer signings as most people are, but it will be naïve to think that a few signings are going to change us dramatically.  We struggle to break teams down, and when we can't we don't really have a plan B.  A few signings aren't going to change that.  

• Like 1

By sounds of it, we want to get one free transfer in so the funds can be used for the other roles. Which makes a lot of sense.

I think we've Suarez, Kamara and Tarkowski. It's also why we went after Ginter too. 

We'll then have our list of players for those positions who are under contract too and if we fail to land the position on a free we'll pursue the list

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

By sounds of it, we want to get one free transfer in so the funds can be used for the other roles. Which makes a lot of sense.

I think we've Suarez, Kamara and Tarkowski. It's also why we went after Ginter too. 

We'll then have our list of players for those positions who are under contract too and if we fail to land the position on a free we'll pursue the list

Quite a few outgoings will help the wages too. Very pragmatic business. I feel like we are in for a surprise free agent and a marquee DM at a minimum 

Tarkowski is a very good defender so I'd be ok with us signing him. He has loads of experience. My issue is his non existent passing. He's just another Konsa type player basically

Kamara is class I feel, he will be a great signing if we call pull it off. I feel Bissouma and Phillips will go to clubs further up the table. So we'll be on 4th/5th choice CDMs if we don't get Kamara

18 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

There’s some very high quality frees available this summer. Almost as though players have realised they’ll get more money if they wait it out.

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

Tarkowski is a very good defender so I'd be ok with us signing him. He has loads of experience. My issue is his non existent passing. He's just another Konsa type player basically

Kamara is class I feel, he will be a great signing if we call pull it off. I feel Bissouma and Phillips will go to clubs further up the table. So we'll be on 4th/5th choice CDMs if we don't get Kamara

After six seasons under Dyche, Tarkowski's qualities on the ball are pretty much unknown. Could be good, could be crap.

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

There’s some very high quality frees available this summer. Almost as though players have realised they’ll get more money if they wait it out.

My worry is why would a very high quality free want to come to us, a 14th place team!

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

My worry is why would a very high quality free want to come to us, a 14th place team!

I really don't think the league position will be as big of a factor as people are making out. 

Clearly, if it was Champions League or Europa it would make a difference, but the difference between 9th and 14th? Nah. 

Do you think signings are going to be put off of signing for Newcastle who are finishing 12th for example? Not a chance. 

Just now, Steero113 said:

I really don't think the league position will be as big of a factor as people are making out. 

Clearly, if it was Champions League or Europa it would make a difference, but the difference between 9th and 14th? Nah. 

Do you think signings are going to be put off of signing for Newcastle who are finishing 12th for example? Not a chance. 

Spot on. Money talks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

After six seasons under Dyche, Tarkowski's qualities on the ball are pretty much unknown. Could be good, could be crap.

he only thing we have to go on is his atrocious pass completion % from his 6 short passes and 10 medium per game