Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Bissouma, Phillips etc etc, good players but so are the ones we already have. Whilst I do think they would bring something to the squad, neither will transform us. The signing of Coutihno is a pointer towards the standard of player that will make a considerable difference. I would like to see us aim higher, whether they are doable or not, lets try yo get the very best that we can get.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Our biggest hope in this regard is if we can make the Coutinho deal permanent. It may then spur other better players to come and play for us who wouldn't have if Coutinho wasn't here.

It's huge isn't it, although SG is a draw too, Coutinho puts us into so many other conversations. 

• Like 2

I think we need a quality DM. I like Phillips, but not convinced he is a top player, and he's does get injured a fair bit. I like Bissouma, but he is apparently better when he plays box to box, so i'd sign him as a Luiz or Mcginn replacement if we need to sell one of them (I would sell McGinn). I would sell McGinn as I believe he isn't particularly suited to the tiki-taka style Gerrard likes and I don't think he'll improve much. I also see Ramsey and hopefully Chukwuemeka (if he signs and new contract) as the attack minded box to box players going forward. As a result I believe a more defense oriented b2b like Bissouma and Luiz would be ideal foils for them, keep Sanson as a rotation option.

The six we need should be a player also capable of dropping into central defense (if we want our fullbacks to operate as wing backs), so a 6 like Boubacar Kamara would be more suitable. Basically a 6 that is an accomplished defender as well as accomplished in possession. I actually think Chambers could play this role for us (as a back up). So our 6 would be an anchor or a half back, that distributes the ball well, rather than a 6 that is meant to be a creative force like Luiz. If you use wing backs you either play 3 at the back or have a 6 that will sit, is a proper defensive player, and can drop into defense turning it into a back 3.

We need another CB, Chambers has done well for us so far, but defensively he does look a little suspect as a CB, his versatility means he can always get games. I would like to see us bring in a centre back that is without question better than what we currently have (for the RCB position).    

Then a talented young left back as understudy. Have Kessler as back up to Cash (we need to keep Cash).

That woud be all my business incoming. Bissouma, Kamara (or similar), CB (top class), LB (young and very talented).

Outgoing El-Ghazi, Trez, McGinn, Young, Targett.

4 in 4 out. Tidy!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I wouldn’t look to offload McGinn at all, his attitude is brilliant and needed in the dressing room.

I accept we can get better players in but there are others who can be jettisoned before McGinn. 

I'd keep all our current MFs, we need a really strong squad to push on, also if we do make the right signings we can have a real crack at the cups, we need quality in depth.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I'd keep all our current MFs, we need a really strong squad to push on, also if we do make the right signings we can have a real crack at the cups, we need quality in depth.

We have too many midfielders I feel. If we’re after a defensive midfielder, I can see at least one out. 

If we are signing a midfielder, it should be a top tier DM.

We really don't need much more.

Although, we say this, basing our experience of have no Cup or European Football.

The squad could look alot thinner in certain areas if we did.

So in a sense, we need to prepare for where we are aiming.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Bissouma, Phillips etc etc, good players but so are the ones we already have. Whilst I do think they would bring something to the squad, neither will transform us. The signing of Coutihno is a pointer towards the standard of player that will make a considerable difference. I would like to see us aim higher, whether they are doable or not, lets try yo get the very best that we can get.

I largely agree but try to not discount Phillips, he's a special player and a lot of things went our way for us to be able to capture someone of Coutinho's ilk.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We have too many midfielders I feel. If we’re after a defensive midfielder, I can see at least one out. 

If Luiz isn't signing a new deal, he's going. Makes no sense to potentially lose him on a free.

If he does than Sanson will probably go tbh as feels most obvious as he won't want to spend another season just bench warming. Plenty of clubs in France would take him back if they could afford it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If Luiz isn't signing a new deal, he's going. Makes no sense to potentially lose him on a free.

If he does than Sanson will probably go tbh as feels most obvious as he won't want to spend another season just bench warming. Plenty of clubs in France would take him back if they could afford it.

We are definitely underusing Sanson, he should have started today in place of Ramsey he needs rest

• Like 1

The thing is we can only controls much of the conversation. If a player doesn’t want to sign a new contract we can only do so much. The same applies to all clubs, look at Liverpool and Salah. 

The trick is to play the game as well as you can. If a player wants to go or run down his contract then we must try to sell for the maximum we can get and reinvest as wisely as possible. Even if at sometimes it is a little disappointing to what we’d hoped, the situation can still be a win if we get most of the elements right. It’s something we have often failed at in the past but the way the club is run now, I feel we seem to be much better at. 

Edited by DaveAV1

9 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I doubt we’ll dip into the championship in the transfer window but are there any players down there worth looking at? I don’t watch enough of it to know. 

I keep wondering when Krystian Bielik (Derby CB) gets a move. He's had terrible ACL injury luck which isn't really good, but I think he is a very good player

7 hours ago, Kingman said:

when does the window actually open?

is it 1st July? 

Most loans end 30th June, so I assume the window opens the following day. 

I think a result like today's might be a blessing in disguise in terms of our recruitment, as it's a reminder that we're still a midtable team with a lot of midtable players, truth be told if we're serious about challenging for top six and giving ourselves a serious chance of winning cups which is something I think Gerrard is focused on as he keeps mentioning it, then we're going to have to make serious improvements to our team.